Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Sad

I'd like some.

My priest-heavy party found 4 of them in the Hall of Heroes and had a moderately difficult time with them (1 reload).

What kind of spells work on them? I had Alicorn Lance and Magical Stone work - is there anything else that seems to get through their resistance on a regular basis? Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb don't seem to cut it.

The way I got through them was to constantly summon fodder to keep a couple of them busy, while my F/C (Flail of Stunning) and F/D (Star Metal Cudgel) hammered on them - I had to have Shield of Lathander on both of them to survive. Those sentries can kill the toughest tanks in 2-3 hits with their damage doubled for insane difficulty. The remainder of my crew cast summoning spells, party buff spells, and tried to get a few direct-damage spells through. My F/M tried to join the action with Mirror Image, but apparently the sentries' ability to see invisible characters translates into not being fooled by MI, either. I can't seem to find my Stoneskin scroll. I think I'd better, before I head into Lower Dorns.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can improve any on my normal strategy for clearing the sentries out of Lower Dorns. I usually cast the following: Summon Earth Elemental (maybe two), some other summons, Protection from Fire, Protection from Normal Missiles (their throwing axes count as normal), other buffs (Protection from Evil, Recitation, Draw Upon Holy Might, etc), then Haste. Using 2-3 tanks and the earth elementals, I charge from one sentry to the next, hammering them down in melee, then cut loose on the huge group of fire salamanders that is now following me around. This is where the rest of my party jumps in, casting more summons, cold spells, single-target damage spells, shooting missiles, etc. I've managed to clear the entire floor before the Haste runs out.

Given that the party I'm currently running is massively overpowered with priest spells ( ) and light on full-out melee, is there any spells you use that turn the tide or seem to be more effective? Do the sentries have any elemental weaknesses I don't know about? (the LocusInn site is down right now).
Old 11-30-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Calagari
Manshoon

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
Conan's hammer is specificaly for golems. I don't know if you have tried it or not? It worked fairly well for me. I never found magic of much use against them. I think their resistance is too high.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I'd like some.

My priest-heavy party found 4 of them in the Hall of Heroes and had a moderately difficult time with them (1 reload).

What kind of spells work on them? I had Alicorn Lance and Magical Stone work - is there anything else that seems to get through their resistance on a regular basis? Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb don't seem to cut it.

The way I got through them was to constantly summon fodder to keep a couple of them busy, while my F/C (Flail of Stunning) and F/D (Star Metal Cudgel) hammered on them - I had to have Shield of Lathander on both of them to survive. Those sentries can kill the toughest tanks in 2-3 hits with their damage doubled for insane difficulty. The remainder of my crew cast summoning spells, party buff spells, and tried to get a few direct-damage spells through. My F/M tried to join the action with Mirror Image, but apparently the sentries' ability to see invisible characters translates into not being fooled by MI, either. I can't seem to find my Stoneskin scroll. I think I'd better, before I head into Lower Dorns.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can improve any on my normal strategy for clearing the sentries out of Lower Dorns. I usually cast the following: Summon Earth Elemental (maybe two), some other summons, Protection from Fire, Protection from Normal Missiles (their throwing axes count as normal), other buffs (Protection from Evil, Recitation, Draw Upon Holy Might, etc), then Haste. Using 2-3 tanks and the earth elementals, I charge from one sentry to the next, hammering them down in melee, then cut loose on the huge group of fire salamanders that is now following me around. This is where the rest of my party jumps in, casting more summons, cold spells, single-target damage spells, shooting missiles, etc. I've managed to clear the entire floor before the Haste runs out.

Given that the party I'm currently running is massively overpowered with priest spells ( ) and light on full-out melee, is there any spells you use that turn the tide or seem to be more effective? Do the sentries have any elemental weaknesses I don't know about? (the LocusInn site is down right now).
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

The LocusInn site is back up.

According to it, the Sentry resistances are as follows: Fire - 120%, Electrical, Slashing, Piercing, all 50%, Missile 80%, Magic 25%. They are, of course, immune to enchantment spells and poison weapons/spells.

I thought their magic resistance was higher than that. They appear not to have resistance to bludgeoning weapons, cold, or acid.

I'll try Conlan's Hammer, although the Stunning Flail may be of more value. I'll think on it.