Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

On a recent thread about the British Goverment there was a short debate about whether correct spelling is important on the internet.

As a matter of principal I try to spell words correctly but although I pour over the various threads I don’t often correct incorrect spelling.

Sometimes however, people are so careless about they’re spelling that I’m sorely tempted to correct it.

There are far to many mistakes made by native English speakers on Ironworks. People are careless and feel that they have free reign to make mistakes without having them corrected. Perhaps we could diffuse the situation by putting our posts through a spell checker. As long as everyone tows the line there should be no problem.

If, like me, you want to spell correctly, you’ll need to practice more. Then there will be on arguments!

What do you think?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I agree that the simple act of running a spell checker can pick up every mistake. Donut's post up there proves it. Eye see no miss takes. Can ewe?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Know, I sea no misstaeks in Downuts post eether
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Then there will be on arguments!
Say again? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

IMO, as long as I can understand what the heck the person's trying to say, it's all fine with me. I mean, spell 'the' as 'teh' is pointless nitpicking. However, l33t talk is really, really annoying. I personally try to use good english when I post, but that's just me.

A spell checker wouldn't be useful. People might use it now and then, but IMO, the vast majority wouldn't. Only some people will, and if you really, really want to run it though a grammar/spellcheck, then copy and paste in Microsoft Word/Wordperfect or something.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Yes, I do think proper spelling is important, if only to keep things legible and save others a headache. That and it minimises the chance of someone misinterpreting a message, an all too common problem on a purely text-based medium.

On the other hand, stubbornly correcting every mistake you run across won't make you many friends. Chances are your helpfulness is misinterpreted as nitpicking and making fun of others despite their best efforts.

There is one thought bothering me though. Where is the punchline?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I always try to keep my spelling correct, punctuation as well. I'm not perfect, but I do make an effort.

You sure though Donut that you don't enjoy a little textspeak? U no what i mean ~grinz~ [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I always try to use correct spelling. A lot of my posts are probably edited because I go back to spell a word right that I didn't catch before. I can understand if people post and have mistakes here or there, that I don't mind but it bugs me when people use bad spelling for every word, take that Lord of the Rings chat session that was posted here awhile back, I could hardly read it.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I guess what they say about leading a horse to water is true...

Edit- My response was intended to be right after Assassin's, as it was in reference to that post, but it seems that about three of us tried to post at the same time, so I felt I had to clarify.

[ 07-20-2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm if I am to take this thread seriously:
yeah I do take spelling seriously - after all the jokes I've made about people's spelling, I try not to make the mistakes I've taken the piss out of so if I do, I'll go back and correct it

Some spelling/grammar mistakes do annoy me a lot though, like when people get mixed up with "their", "they're" and "there". Another one that pisses me off is when people mix up "your" and "you're". It just makes them look dumb and I prefer to look at people in a positive light if I can.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

My one and only pet peeve is probably people mistaking "no" and "know".

you no what I mean? know?

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps