Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 01:20 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

Will you be importing your old characters in W8?

I still have my old endsave - but it was with DOS CoDS, not Wizardry Gold.
I hope they coded W8 so that you can import endsaves from both versions.

It will be soooooooooooo nice to see my old party in action again ..

Pangur Ban

------------------
-------------------------------------------

( Insert picture of hissing cat with arched back and bristling tail here .... )

-------------------------------------------
"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."
Pangur Ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 01:44 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

From what I understood, Pangur Ban, the end save is identical from both games, so yes, you should be able to import your old characters.

Unfortunately, I lost all my old save games, so now I'm scrambling through a round of Wiz 7 to be able to get ready for the 8th. (I'll probably create a "scratch" party as well, though! )

Cheers,

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 05:50 PM   #3
MagiK

Not only were the ends the same, I had asked the support people for Wiz-Gold at the time and they informed me the save games for the dos and win95 versions were identicle, in format and layout and were as such interchangeable....and they were correct. An editor for one should work with both.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
Old 10-27-2001, 02:01 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just for clarification:

Wizardry Gold was a re-release that Sir-Tech did for Wizardry VII in 1996, that had a few more bells and whistles in it (more sounds, anime-like character portraits, and it ran directly in Win95). The NPC's had voice-overs, as did the narrator (very cheesy, if you ask me...distracted far more than it added to the storyline). Other than that, the save files and most of the monster graphics were identical.

Personally, I still favor the old, streamlined DOS version and just run it in a DOS window rather than through Win98.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:45 PM   #5
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Not only were the ends the same, I had asked the support people for Wiz-Gold at the time and they informed me the save games for the dos and win95 versions were identicle, in format and layout and were as such interchangeable....and they were correct. An editor for one should work with both.

Quite right. Save games are interchangable between Wiz Gold and Dos versions at any time.

All you you have to do is change the file extension to suit, DOS saves use "savegame.DBS". Wiz-Gold saves use "savegame.SGM"

Brushed the cobwebs from an old DOS save I had, switched the file extension and loaded it up using Wiz Gold. My favorite heros are on the march again !!

( Now, where did I put that Blade Cuisinart? )