Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-01-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ok so on the manual it basically says that this game is not even worth playing online with a dial-up connection (maximum 2 players -why bother?). I read this and thought 'damn, I need to sort out DSL for myself' and left it at that.

However just yesterday out of curiousity I logged unto gamespy and into the NWN's servers, found a PVP arena module and entered.
To my disbelief it worked great. The game ran just as it does offline, and at many times there were about 7/8 players in the same room. No major lag, no stuttering - nothing! 'How weird' I thought and so tried another mod called 'Awesomeville' which was basically a lighthearted mod with some action adventures,pvp and rping tied into it (although most of the players were ridiculously powerful and high leveled) but here too it worked great.

Yes there was some occasional lag during high multiple video-taxing spells but this is not new as my video card aint the best and does this offline too. I'm wondering has it something to do with Directx 9...if you read the microsoft release notes they strongly recommend upgrading to directx9 as it fully supports 'mass multiplaying' and it 'increases game performance online'.
The only thing is I thought Directx has nothing to do with NWN's as this game is OpenGL...watcha think?

[ 02-01-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 02-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes it does run much better on dial-up then you would think although it does get a bit laggy when there are 6 people and 10 monsters around at the same time with spells being cast but other than that it is very good.

Also where do I find this new DirectX?
Old 02-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well...it all depends. If you are hosting a game, and a dial-up guy wants to join...it may be quite bad. If you join a game where all other members are DSL/Cable, and you are the only dial-up...you will probably not ahve trouble unless you ISP is in a bad area (how many residents in your area have dial-up, working on the same line, like your neighbors).

Once, I was hosting a game and I have cable. When one person that was dial-up joined, there was no problem. When a second dial-up joined...things stared messing up for the second person. I do not know the specifics of that problem, but well...there you go.

Anyway...bottom line is...congratulations on having a cool Mplayer game! I wish you many more!

ANd...get Cable ASAFP.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thanks Larry [img]smile.gif[/img] . Yes I know what you mean and it's true I do only usually go for a broadband hosted mod, that way it was probably compensating me.

Dagorian, www.microsoft.com is the offical site for directx, make sure you want to install this though as there is no way (officially) to uninstall it after your done...thats it your stuck with directx9.

If it makes any differance it works fine for me, no probs at all and does give a slight performance increase. The one thing thats changed is the mper thing, this time they seemed to have tailored this to cater for the fast growing mass multiplaying fans and I like to think that for me, it helps alot.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:47 AM   #5
SecretMaster
Apophis

Dial up means 56K right? If so, that means I could play MP without a prob cuz I have a 56k. And do i have to pay for MP
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, 56k is a dial-up.
No, you should not have to pay to multi. For example, you could log onto my game if I were playing right now, and so could a few others...and all you'd need was my IP address to find me. You can also just log onto any game that is open session that may be running around the world.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
homer
Manshoon

I was very hesitant to play NWN on line also; in fact I posted a general question to find out what others thought. As of four days ago I have found that I can play NWN on-line with very little difficulty. Only occasionally do I experience a skip or lag, but it is minimal. I have logged on to a persistent world sever, with 25 other players in the module, and was able to play just fine. I am very pleased by this development. It opens up an entire new aspect of the game for me.

I would suggest to anyone, regardless of your internet connection, to give it a try.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #8
SecretMaster
Apophis

Great, now I have to see if my dad would let me play MP. And where do i go to find games to play, do I make an account on the NWN website and find games there?
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
Tyrion
Quintesson

Ill start mplaying as soon as i have time to download the patch...takes some time with 56k...an my mom dosen't like a high phone bill!
Old 02-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Great, now I have to see if my dad would let me play MP. And where do i go to find games to play, do I make an account on the NWN website and find games there?
From your console, choose Multiplayer, then it will ask you to create an account. Enter name and password. That info will also get you into NWN official website for some cool stuff. Don't forget to go there! Next, it'll ask if you want to join or create a game in either Lan or internet. Say that you are joining internet game. That will take you to a Gamespy screen where you will see millions of games being played all over the world. Some are closed session and some are open. Click on one and try to enter it.

The best fun you can have is to have a group from here at IW established so that you can play with friends. One of you be the server and have a module downloaded to play, and the rest of you find that guy's game by knowing his IP.