Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 09:20 AM   #11
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

This is turnig out to be the "Neb and Garnet FalconDance" thread--surely that wasn't the intent!
Old 01-18-2002, 09:30 AM   #12
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I've been doing some reading on pagan religions lately and I have found that I'm particularly attracted towards asatru. Can't really tell why, and I still need to do some deeper study into the matter, because the choice of religion is a very important one. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, I will call myself an asatruar.

And yes, I agree that paganism is a bit of a trend nowadays, but like with all trends, it will either die out or become mainstream. Those wanna-bes (of which I myself might be one, though at this point I don't think that's likely) will dabble in it for a while and then disappear quietly.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:39 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

without wanting to do the in-depth and continual study required.

Can I respectfully ask why you feel it is necessary to do in-depth continual study? I know that when my parents run into pagans from the US on the internet, they always talk about studying, doing courses, getting diplomas, all that. It isn't done that way in England at all - seems to me to be wringing all the spirituality and enjoyment out of it to treat your beliefs like a math degree....
Old 01-18-2002, 09:56 AM   #14
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Can I respectfully ask why you feel it is necessary to do in-depth continual study? I know that when my parents run into pagans from the US on the internet, they always talk about studying, doing courses, getting diplomas, all that. It isn't done that way in England at all - seems to me to be wringing all the spirituality and enjoyment out of it to treat your beliefs like a math degree....

Perhaps I didn't word it properly.

Life itself is a continual learning process. Most mainstream religion has a set doctrine, little if any changing, and its adherents are required to obey said doctrine without questioning (this is, obviously, a generalization). I approach my craft as a life-experience as well....always learning, expanding, growing. In other words, I don't read a couple books, buy the latest gemstone or ritual colors and consider myself good-to-go. I don't need diplomas or anyone else's validation to feel as if I'm doing anything 'right', but I do appreciate exchanging ideas and information with others.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:33 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:

Perhaps I didn't word it properly.

Life itself is a continual learning process. Most mainstream religion has a set doctrine, little if any changing, and its adherents are required to obey said doctrine without questioning (this is, obviously, a generalization). I approach my craft as a life-experience as well....always learning, expanding, growing. In other words, I don't read a couple books, buy the latest gemstone or ritual colors and consider myself good-to-go. I don't need diplomas or anyone else's validation to feel as if I'm doing anything 'right', but I do appreciate exchanging ideas and information with others.

Oh I see - my mistake then! I agree with that sentiment, no matter what your beliefs. My question was based on a couple of conversations with my mum - not a good basis on which to form an opinion, (no matter how wonderful my mum is!) so my apologies.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:34 AM   #16
Durwyn
Elminster

Is this like a "who worships Satan?" post? heh [img]smile.gif[/img] . I'm really not getting the main point here, who is a pagan?
Old 01-18-2002, 10:41 AM   #17
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
Is this like a "who worships Satan?" post? heh [img]smile.gif[/img] . I'm really not getting the main point here, who is a pagan?

Never say 'satan' around a pagan, Durwyn [img]tongue.gif[/img] I know you don't mean it as an insult, but paganism is NOT satanism.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:48 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have no religion. That is I don´t have any belief, but try to be as humanistic as possible in a philosophical way.

I have studied wicca and other "paganism" religions and beliefs. Part of my interest in occultism.

I like to prefer interests, knowledge over religions in general, understandning and such.
Then you would know that black is mostly the color of universe not death! In japan it is blue that symbolize death for instance. Ignorance is bliss they might say, but I can´t agree!

I like the idea of freedom with esponsibility.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: WOLFGIR ]

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 01-18-2002, 10:55 AM   #19
fable
Quintesson

I'm a pagan, and a Wiccan witch; have been, for twenty-three years. It hasn't been easy at times, but I've simply kept quiet and worshipped in private--joining a group (or on one occasion, leading one) when circumstances seemed right.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:57 AM   #20
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Wolfgir - nobody here said that black is the color of death. It's just that the classic image of a witch is dressed in black, and a lot of those Wiccan wanna-bes wear black clothes because they think it makes them look "occult", if you understand what I'm trying to say.

BTW what do you mean by that remark: 'ignorance is bliss they say, but I can't agree'? You mean that Wiccans/Pagans are ignorant?