Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-18-2001, 11:18 AM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I think I'll stick to Breach instead. :/ I was hoping the arrows could remove things like Protection from Magical Weapons or Spell Trap.

I guess my archer will use Arrows of Biting instead. :/
Old 07-18-2001, 01:26 PM   #12
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I think I'll stick to Breach instead. :/ I was hoping the arrows could remove things like Protection from Magical Weapons or Spell Trap.

I guess my archer will use Arrows of Biting instead. :/
Well, if a mage has stoneskin cast...then you're going to use 10 arrows of biting just to get through his stoneskin. Then you'll use one more to hit him with (assuming you hit him). All this vs. one arrow of dispelling that gets rid of his stoneskin and any fireshields/haste/mirror image/invisibility/etc.

If the Arrows of Dispelling are too expensive for you, just go visit the Fletcher in Waukeen's Promenade and have a Thief (with Potion of Master Thievery) steall a few quivers for you. I stole all of them that he had with him none the wiser. Hee-hee.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 07-18-2001, 01:31 PM   #13
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

I think it is better than simply "dispel magic"-- it may remove the kinds of protections which make a mage impervious to normal weapons, or to magic weapons, etc.. kind of like Pierce magic.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:34 PM   #14
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeannada:
I think it is better than simply "dispel magic"-- it may remove the kinds of protections which make a mage impervious to normal weapons, or to magic weapons, etc.. kind of like Pierce magic.
Don't think that is the case. If you read the description for the arrows, it states that the arrows act as a "Dispel Magic" spell. Waluin mentioned that in an earlier reply in this thread.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 07-18-2001, 01:43 PM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah I see, I guess it could be useful after all.

Hmmmm... ...

I'm asking this question because I'm currently RPing Robin Hood, and I was wondering whether to steal the arrows for him. Guess I'll reserved it for high-level enemy mages.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:47 PM   #16
Sevan Ge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You reminded me that back in BG1 (actually TotSC) I used them in a pretty cool way (BG1 spoiler maybe?).

In the fight with that demon that was called up by the culties, they helped me win that fight. The demon kept casting hold spells on my different party members. Seeing as my thief (Imoen who was not a mage yet) wasn't much good in the fight itself, I had her roaming the room away from the demon. When another party member got hit with a hold spell (actually, I think it worked for his Death Gaze too), she fired the dispell arrows *at my party member*. Worked like a charm cause Minsc could keep wailing away.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:58 PM   #17
Northraven
Manshoon

If your archer is also a good mainline fighter (Minsc, for example) combine these arrows with arrows of teleporting and watch those pissant enemy mages go down.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:51 PM   #18
Epona
Zartan

I use these arrows a lot and they are BRILLIANT.
Well worth the money IMHO.
Save your mages spell slots for things other than breach, dispel magic, spell thrust etc, because with these arrows you don't need any of the spells that do these things.

On a successful hit, ONE ARROW dispels all magical protections from spells and potions (although not equipped items) that your enemy may have carefully spent time casting. Then just switch to ordinary arrows and pepper them (or slice them) while they stand there looking confused.
They are expensive because having too many of these would seriously affect the game balance. If you don't believe me, just give yourself a stack using CLUACONSOLE (item code AROW07) and see how boring it gets after a while.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas