Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm curious as to how everyone made their way here to our little (well, not-so-little!) net community, and I'm sure Z is too

I'd just bought BG1 and was actually just looking for a site with a walkthrough. I found Ironworks, thought it was cool, then found the BG1 forum. Then the BG2 forum started and that was history!

What about you guys?

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 10:29 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, i had played both BG1, Planescape, IWD and just bought BG2 and was surfing around for tips and walkthroughs, had heard it mentioned about a "XP-cap remover" and stumbled on to Ironworks, and by mistake I pressed the "Forum" button cause I thought it was something else, sometimes that page loads damn slow with a modem. Well inside I well looked around t the forum nd read alot of helpful things about the game and i though that I might get back there some day. A couple of days later I saw new threads and well I thought that I might try it out, I´m no fan of forums relly I´m not, but this was something else in my opinion, a board with good information with people that shared my interests. At first I felt like a fool, never knew what bump or anything was, i rember my first posting hehe and well i bumped it rather early and memnoch was the first on to reply to me. "Don´t you think it is a little too early to bump just yet?" and a reply, boy did i feel stupid, well that feeling hasn´t left yet hehe, but well know this is like a second home..

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 01:16 PM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Pure luck !
I was bored that day at work (beginning of December 2000), so I launched my favourite Copernic search engine and made a search for "Baldur's Gate II" ... and I got a HUGE heap of URLs. So I just closed my eyes and pointed my mouse at random on the list and clicked ! And I ended in the Ironworks home page. So I had a look at the page, and then saw "Forum". Thought in my head "Go see or not ? Nay, I know how all those forums are, just a bunch of male teenagers talking boring stuff like 'Is this sword +4 better that that sword +3 but with special powers ?'" As if ennemies would just sit and have a cup of tea waiting for you to choose the best weapon ! But I was still bored, so .. I clicked ! I was amazed at how many replies the topics got, but stayed a lurker for some time - until some guy asked "Hey ! Are we playing BGII by fear of real life?". I SO did not agree, I replied ... That guy was Yorick, BTW.

------------------
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 01:39 PM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

I must say again how I was moved by all the hugs I got from you guys back when I had my car crash last January. Thank you, thank you, thank you !
You know, generally I am very sentimentally attached to objects, and I had had that car for 5 years, but I don't regret it at all ! I mean, I wouldn't exchange all the friendship from this Board for having my old car back again.

------------------
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 03:06 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I also stumbled in here by accident as I ws just looking for something cool to read on BGI. I went to the other related sites option and found my haven!! I believe I was looking for some sorta download or screensaver for BGI, and ended up joining the OHF!

------------------

Larry of the Holy Flame
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Hunting for portraits while surfing through the web.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:36 PM   #7
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Surfing the Web for hints to BGII, accidently clicked on forum. Saw the title Memnoch, recognized it as something I knew, but not where. So I clicked on the thread. Lurked for a month, then Moiraine's accident back in January made me want to add my thoughts, and the rest is history.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 04:47 PM   #8
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Moiraine: great to see you up and posting again !

My own story is rather short and boring: BGI was my first ever CRPG, so consequently BG II is my second. I don't no anybody else who plays CRPGs, so when I stumbled onto the Ironworks site - don't remember what I was looking for - and then onto the old board I was first interested in ontopic stuff, not so much about getting information I could use but more on another perspective on things I had thought about so much. Even though I was at first mostly interested in ontopic stuff I shared Moiraine's resentment of boards populated by male teenagers "being way cool". Since I had never entered a board before, in my case that notion was not based on experience, but on prejudice and stereotypes - for what a pleasant surprise I was in !
I kept lurking for about a month, then shortly before Xmas I took the dive...
So this is basically one of my best Xmas presents ever - thanks everyone !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:10 PM   #9
sylent
Emerald Dragon

A friend of mine told me about it, so nothing remarkable there...

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent
Master Theif of the OHF
sylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 01:11 AM   #10
JJ/newbie

A friend who had bg2 and convinced me to try told me where to find the walkthru on ironworks, the walkthru lacked what I needed and I went to the forum, and the rest, as they say was history. When I asked my first question, I checked back in about 10 minutes, not thinking i would have anything. Blew me away!
Memnoch, Armiseal, and someone else who did not translate over or has left (aplogies for the omission) had already answered my question, and even given the answer to the question the answer would have naturally spawned. I was very impressed. I lurked for a while, asking the occaisonal q, and checked out the 'official' site and some others. They fared very poorly in comparison with the people here, and as I am above all a people person, this place soon became my home away from home. (sniffle) youse guys is great

------------------
When given a choice, take both.