Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
I have a question for those of you who played the game. Can any of you comment on no. 92?

quote:
92: The OC is totally Monty Haul, Swamp Farmers with +1 Weapons, Low Level Lizard Folk with Flaming/Lighting/Whatever weapons. Oh look, I found another +4 Burning Sword of Doom, toss it onto the pile we have going.
[/QUOTE]He's definitely exaggerating. There is the Lizard king that has a pretty powerful Flaming Morningstar +1 that does an extra 1d6 or fire damage. That that one is overpowered for when you get it, but beside it things are ok.

I don't remember seeing any farmer with a magic weapon, but even then, it's possible that they could have had the sword for generations. As long as it's not everyone that has them, I'm ok with it.

To have an idea of power level, I'm level 10, and most of my characters are still using level 1 weapons mostly. I'm just starting to find more powerful items. I just found a +2 shortbow, +3 rapier and +2 longsword in the last dungeon I did, and my main character has a +2 named greatsword.

You do see lots of powerful items for sale by most merchants, but they cost a fortune and I couldn't afford them.
[/QUOTE]Bit of an overreaction this. There's definitely a proliferation of magic weapons dropped by enemies once you reach level 5 or 6 or so, but they're generally just run of the mill +1 weapons.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #22
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Another lie?
Well obviously I'm not at the point where they drop +4 named weapons so I can't comment on the end game, but so far he's exaggerating. It doesn't mean it's not "Maunty Haul". It's just depend on your standards.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #23
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I'll just pipe in that according to character wealth in the DMG, I have about thrice the amount of gold and items I should have. Not bad for a CRPG, especially compared to classics like Baldur's Gate II. Also, at level 6, you're supposed to have a number of +1 weapons, and a one or two +2's. At 9th +3, etc. (based on what level allows you to craft these items)

In this game you're more dependant on crafting anyway.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Bit of an overreaction this. There's definitely a proliferation of magic weapons dropped by enemies once you reach level 5 or 6 or so, but they're generally just run of the mill +1 weapons.
Difference of opinion as to what constitutes a "Proliferation" it would seem. Memnoch is right that most of the weapons are only +1 - at least up to this point. So far I've found the following magic items:

Bone Phoenix +1 morningstar +1d6 fire
Astral Longsword +1 + 1d4 sonic
+2 longsword
+1 longsword x2
Greatsword of Lathander +2
+1 dagger x2
+1 dagger with Dual wielding feat (oh Neeshka just LOVES that one)
Storm +1 light hammer + 1d4 electrical
+2 short sword
+1 scimitar
+1 rapier
+3 rapier
+1 short bow x2
Duskwood short bow
Duskwood longbow Mighty +6
+1 halberd
Magical Club - don't remember the stats

At least 2/3rds of these (and probably 3/4) were drops from bosses - the +3 rapier and great sword were actually loot obtained by Neeshka thru one of the conversations. I believe that of that list, that only "Storm", the duskwood shortbow and the +2 short sword were actually parts of non-boss treasure.

My characters are currently 7th / 8th level.

I don't know that the above list is excessive. Considering that only a small percentage of those weapons have any extra powers at all, and for the most part are only +1 weapons, I consider that to be a fairly reasonable list.

Calling it Monty Haul is definitely a reach.

(As for cash, I am still limping along with a paltry 15,000, give or take,in gold. So I can't even afford ONE of those mega nice weapons that are starting to show up. True I still have a far number of gems to sell, but until I get the crafting figured out, I am keeping almost all of those. The only items I have bought so far are one suit of plate mail (non-magical), a couple of cure disease potions, two slings, 4 loads of bullets, 4 quivers of arrows, and a light crossbow.)

[ 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #25
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I got pretty much all and exactly the same items int hat list, except for the longbow +6. Where did you get that?

That great sword is the sword my paladin is using, it's a named +2 greatsword of lathander with other bonuses I forgot, I think. My pally is a follower of lathander, so she was all over it when she saw it.

All in all and selling pretty much everything I think I made 30k gold total, but I used it to buy the 17k Divine Champion armor from deekin.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #26
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
I got pretty much all and exactly the same items int hat list, except for the longbow +6. Where did you get that?

That great sword is the sword my paladin is using, it's a named +2 greatsword of lathander with other bonuses I forgot, I think. My pally is a follower of lathander, so she was all over it when she saw it.

All in all and selling pretty much everything I think I made 30k gold total, but I used it to buy the 17k Divine Champion armor from deekin.
Not sure exactly where I found it. I KNOW it wasn't in either of the orc lairs - possibly in the warehouse in Neverwinter. Let me double check some saves and I'll let you know.

BTW, in all fairness to the writer of the original list - the orc caves ARE monty haul. I came out of both sets of caves with the following haul:

+1 studded leather armor x 6
+2 chain mail
+2 hide
+1 chain mail

+1 long swords x2
+1 short swords x2
+1 falchion x2
+1 rapier
+1 dagger
+1 dagger Keen
+1 heavy crossbow
+1 light crossbow
+1 heavy crossbow +2 to dex
+1 heavy crossbow +1 to dex
+2 morningstar
+1 battleaxe
+1 greataxe
+1 morningstar
+2 warmace Arduils Fall +2 strength
+2 warmace don't remember the name
+2 great axe
+1 composite short bow
+1 short bow
+2 Kukri
+2 Neverwinter Kukri
+2 Hideo's Kama
and another magical club

And that does NOT count the bracers of archery, sash of shimmering, bracers of armor +3, watchman's helm and a couple of other amulets and a wand or two. My entire party was encumbered dragging this stuff back to Owl's Well!

I sold virtually everything (except for some of the monk items - saving those for a Christmas present for our friend Khelgar - lol) and went from 15k to over 60k gold!

Now THAT IS Monty Haul. [img]smile.gif[/img] We'll see how the rest of the game plays out.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm about halfway through that original 101 list of comments - I'll post my feedback in another 10 years when I get through it all.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:24 AM   #28
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Those orc caves together with the warehouse and the house full of rogues are two of the worst parts of the game. I can't believe they put nwn1-esque hack&slash like that into this game.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #29
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's true that when I finally finished the orc caves, all my characters were overburdened and I had to stop picking up, and even drop some +1 weapons, just to make sure I could actually move. But as far as Maunty haul goes, I'm happy it's +1 stuff. What would be a problem is if it was +2/+3 stuff.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #30
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
It's true that when I finally finished the orc caves, all my characters were overburdened and I had to stop picking up, and even drop some +1 weapons, just to make sure I could actually move. But as far as Maunty haul goes, I'm happy it's +1 stuff. What would be a problem is if it was +2/+3 stuff.
I actually left those caves with the entire party heavily burdened (but capable of movement) as I was NOT going to leave any loot behind for scavengers. lol Biggest problem is STILL finding someplace to stash things without having to drag all of that crap around with you all the time; weight isn't the BIGGEST issue (although it is an issue). As of now, I am forced to drag all of my crafting components around with me with no place to store them -well at least not until AFTER you fight Lorne in chapter two. Wish obsidian would fix that in a patch and add in that chest that Duncan told you about.