Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 05:15 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I think debates in the message board forum are thought out much more clearly. Personally, I spend more time (now) developing my ideas and trying to convey my view point than trying to "win" the argument.

I also think people from opposing sides benefit through learning more about one another's argument than they would in person. I have found the best arguments from the "other" camp that I have ever heard, right here. While I haven't had any major revelations, I have seen some of my views "mellow" through the interaction this forum provides.

I've learned alot in this forum, one of the most important things being restraint.

If we can keep the "hot-headedness" to a minimum, I believe this can be a great learning tool for us all.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-28-2001).]
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:42 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Good, Ronn_Bman !

Now, consider that there are here many people that you wouldn't have met in ordinary RL circumstances, because they live so far away, or because they are so much younger or older than you, or because their job is so different to yours. Communication may be easier in RL because of the presence of body language, but a message Board also allows you to talk to people you wouldn't have met in RL at all !

And body language may hamper the communication as much as it may help it. Because one may put walls in RL to prevent people from reaching him/her, and willing to discard these walls on a message Board.

------------------

The world is my oyster !

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 10-29-2001).]
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:18 AM   #3
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

The written word is much easier for me to understand than the spoken word because of dialects and accents. I find that I get much more emotional when discussing issues face to face. I agree that we don't use body language in this forum and the way we try to emulate it is through smilies. That's one reason I can be misunderstood easily.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Hiram Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 01:13 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

There are advantages on both sides. Face to face you get all the nuances of body language, tone of voice, expression, eye-contact which all modify the words coming from the mouth, thereby reducing the possibilty of misunderstanding. But arguments are usually spur-of-the moment and ill-thought-out as a result.

In the forum we are also blind to all the visual communication of RL. We speak almost mind to mind, but without being able to actually READ the minds of others. So what are the advantages?
1. We have time to think before replying (not that we always do!)
2. We can do research before replying, so that we have a more reasoned approach to a topic, and, hopefully, more understanding of it.
3. It is easier to admit the other guy might be right if you can't see his/her smug reaction to such an admission!
4. You don't have prejudices to contend with - like the sound of a certain regional accent or bodyshape implying stupidity; or a certain style of clothing or hairstyle implying the person is a thug; or youth implying ignorance; or old age implying 'not with it'.

I enjoy RL debates, but forum debates can often be more interesting and thought-provoking.

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:00 PM   #5
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I like online debates because I get to spend some time thinking about the subject matter before responding. In person I might rush a statement because it seems good enough at the moment. Granted, my words here don't show much thought behind them, but that's another subject. It took me about two weeks before I could even post on the Terrorism forum. I mostly read the threads and thought about them. I couldn't respond because it took me a while to forumulate an opinion and then a response.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Hiram Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:17 PM   #6
tracey
Manshoon

both are tricky - face to face - cause you can't switch off and cool down.

forum because you have to ■■■■■ foot around too much. shame really.

sometimes i can't be arsed with either and read a book!

------------------

offended mistress of the illuminati
tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:30 PM   #7
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I think debates in the message board forum are thought out much more clearly. Personally, I spend more time (now) developing my ideas and trying to convey my view point than trying to "win" the argument.

I also think people from opposing sides benefit through learning more about one another's argument than they would in person. I have found the best arguments from the "other" camp that I have ever heard, right here. While I haven't had any major revelations, I have seen some of my views "mellow" through the interaction this forum provides.

Isn't it better when we all get along? Come, let us all join hands and sing Alleuya round the fire
I've learned alot in this forum, one of the most important things being restraint.

If we can keep the "hot-headedness" to a minimum, I believe this can be a great learning tool for us all.

Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 04:36 PM   #8
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

WTH?!? I wrote the Alleuya round the fire thing, and it turned up in the quote?!?!??!?!?! HELLO? MODERATORS? WOT JUST HAPPENED, as I am CONFUSTED!!! AND I'CE GOT A VERY HOT HEAD!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
WTH?!? I wrote the Alleuya round the fire thing, and it turned up in the quote?!?!??!?!?! HELLO? MODERATORS? WOT JUST HAPPENED, as I am CONFUSTED!!! AND I'CE GOT A VERY HOT HEAD!
It does that if you don't notice the [ /QUOTE ] at the foot of the quotation and post inside it. Easy to do, 'cos often the [ /QUOTE ] is waaay below the end of the quotation. Done it myself!

All you need to do is go into 'edit', copy and paste your comment, place it below the end [ /QUOTE ] and submit again. Easy!

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote