Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a picture of a great white shark (also known as a white pointer) breaking the surface of the water while hunting seals off the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.

Here's the accompanying story. Pretty scary! Australia has a LOT of great whites in our waters.

The great white shark can fly, which is all the more reason not to pat one.

Spectacular shots by South African shark researcher and wildlife photographer Chris Fallows prove what was until recently thought impossible. The ocean's greatest predator, weighing thousands of kilograms, can propel its entire body out of the water in pursuit of its prey.

Tourists who last week patted great whites feeding on a whale carcass off South Australia were taking a "ludicrous risk", according to Mr Fallows's colleague Will Mitchell, who has observed first-hand the awesome power of great whites breaching to hunt fur seals off Seal Island, near Cape Town.

Mr Mitchell said: "It's an incredible sight, a real jaw-dropper."

Mr Fallows was the first person to observe and photograph this breaching behaviour. In 1995, when working as a volunteer in a fish tagging program, he was alone 8km offshore in a tiny inflatable when a great white blasted out of the water nearby. He decided then to make photographing great whites his life's work.

He and his partners have since documented the behaviour from their 8m charter boat, using a decoy seal carved from a boogie board.

Sharks as large as 4m have been seen leaping at least 2m clear of the water.

"Many of the shots are taken at a place we call 'the launching pad', where the seals predominantly go on and off the island and the sharks are there waiting for them," Mr Mitchell said. "It tracks along the bottom, picks out a seal - usually young pups, which are vulnerable and naive - then angles upwards and tries to take it out.

"Usually it's a near thing because the seals are quick to respond and are very mobile. The element of surprise is very important because the great white generally will not outrun a seal and certainly can't outmanoeuvre one.

"It's all over in a flash. At the last moment it twists and turns to adapt to the seal's movements - the sort of crazy flips we're used to seeing with dolphins and whales. But no-one expects flying sharks."

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 12:13 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

ROTFLMAO!!!! "Pat one..." ? HAHAHAH.... er..yah.. definitely not on my agenda when I get to Australia!

Thanks, Memsy! We needed this one!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-16-2001, 12:14 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
ROTFLMAO!!!! "Pat one..." ? HAHAHAH.... er..yah.. definitely not on my agenda when I get to Australia!

Thanks, Memsy! We needed this one!

Cloudy

Some people are just crazy. I can understand bungee jumping and helicopter skiing, but this?!?

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 12:17 PM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Yeah, I saw a show recently (on Discovery Channel, I think) about this, but that photo - WOW! Gives "Jaws" a whole new meaning! But, you know, whether or not they can launch themselves out of the water or not, those people were out of their MINDS to go down there to touch those sharks!!! Have they an ounce of rational thought? I'd love to go diving to observe sharks, but I'd NEVER try to touch one or feed one. You give the sharks the wrong idea. I WANT them wary of me. I hope someone put a stop to it and will take action against those that try something like this in the future.
Old 09-16-2001, 12:21 PM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

"ohhhhh, it is a sharkkie!!!"

"..awwwwww.... such a cuttie!! look!"

"momy momy, can I touchit?"

"such a cute little teddy white!"
Old 09-16-2001, 12:23 PM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
"ohhhhh, it is a sharkkie!!!"

"..awwwwww.... such a cuttie!! look!"

"momy momy, can I touchit?"

"such a cute little teddy white!"
LMAO!!! Cute 250!

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *
Old 09-16-2001, 12:26 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Some people are just crazy. I can understand bungee jumping and helicopter skiing, but this?!?

ROTFL!!! Uh suuuuuuuuuuure.. bungee jumping into a Great White.. that might be a challenge....*snicker*

250, you are a riot today!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-16-2001, 12:27 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Old 09-16-2001, 01:00 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's a picture of a great white shark (also known as a white pointer) breaking the surface of the water while hunting seals off the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.

Man! Look at that thing! Kinda looks like he's singing! "Meeee.... I just have to be Meeeee, What else can I beeee, but meeeee"!

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 01:28 PM   #10
Sorcerer Alex

That sure is a beautiful shark. I was in Australia three years back but never saw anything like that - plenty of kangaroos though