Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2000, 12:14 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, i feel like i have to come to the defence of irenicus. I picture him as something like a fallen elven practitioner of High Magic, maybe with a level in the mid 20s which is really more powerful than Manshoon of Zhentil Keep. Remember the elves of Suldanessellar can be likened to the elves of Myth Drannor, and some of the most powerful mages are elven mages. So yes, there's nothing worse than being manipulated and knowing it and not being able to do anything about it, but he wasn't THAT bad as a villain.

A agree that the main plot was somewhat weak, it's basically stop the thief isn't it. I hope that the developers check the boards for all this constructive feedback.
Old 11-20-2000, 06:53 AM   #2
Jerome2k

Now dont get me wrong, i like BG2 a lot and many of my free hours are devoted to it, but there's something not quite as spellbinding as the original.

In BG1 you were thrown in at the deep end, your foster-father dead, a whole world to explore and assasins hounding your every move. You were constantly fighting to not only remain alive but to find the source of your misery. BG1 also had a better balance of NPC's i think there was a Good/Neutral/Evil character for every class, with a couple of multiclasses thrown in.

In BG2 however i guessed imoen was a child of Bhaal from the introduction, "....with a background as mysterious as your own..." CMON! you cant give away the plot from the intro! Jon Irenicus just dosen't seem as threatining or as manevolent as Sarevok (and not as tough) and seeing your true advesery seems a little.... simple???

BG2 does however have the better NPC reaction and the romance thing (wink wink) but the characters are WAY unbalanced only 3 of them are evil! The new spells are cool and so is reaching higher levels but ITS FAR TOO EASY TO DO SO! In bg1 you had to work real hard to get them and level 5 spells were a exotic taste of magic!

This is just my opinion but please give my yours, i'm curious how many people feel the same...

Old 11-20-2000, 07:07 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with most of the points you raised. BG2 has a certain linearity to it, despite the fact that there are a huge amount of side quests to do. And it is too easy to level up, and this one fact may be what kills the BG goose for Black Isle - where else do you go after this? And Irenicus is definitely not very inspiring as a villain, he's almost comical in parts. BUT i guess you have to take into consideration the fact that BG1 was the 'first' and so BG2 is much more 'evolutionary' rather than revolutionary.

Having said that the game still kicks major ass and is definitely up there, where it is a hell of a lot better than BG1 is replayability, i think you could replay it up to 10 times and not get bored because of the breadth of gameplay.
Old 11-20-2000, 07:16 AM   #4
Armisael

I agree with a few of these things. It is too easy to level up, and no, there aren't enough evil NPCs. BG2 comes across as the kind of game you can replay to build up your character over half a dozen games, but you tend to end up maxing them by the end of chapter five.
I don't really have anything against Jon Irenicus, except perhaps his lineage. He seems like a great example of an evil, calculated, 'I know something you don't know' mage-type villain. He's definitely not as manevolent as Sarevok, but... well, Sarevok was probably a fair bit eviller than Jonny. Some people like the big buff badguy, others like the overly cunning guy who plans everything out decades in advance.
Basically, I'd like the game to be longer. But I suppose the same could be said of just about any good game.

Old 11-20-2000, 11:52 AM   #5
xcom

I very much agree with u guys!!! My main concern is the main plot of the story of course, its not so revolving around the main char!! the story is on jon irenicus. i hate it when my char is just being toyed in the game. Unlike in baldur's gate 1 u are bound to know who you are and what you are and Sarevok looks so strong.
In baldurs 2, i think the plot should not be on how to handle your power, you should have decided that already when u face sarevok, and know ur identity.And i agree that irenicus is not much for a villain, hes too fluent gee a deathknight looks tougher than him, and im so dissapointed when i found out later that hes just an oversized elf. for god sake i should be more powerful than him coz i have a blood of god. Main plot is what is dissapointing in baldur's 2. Its nothing compared to plot of Baldur's 1, Planescape Torment, Fallout1, Fallout2. But of course additional element such as strongholds,romances is good but its not enough to ease my dissapointment

Old 11-20-2000, 01:53 PM   #6
Anarkist

I dunno, I think Irenicus is a classic villain. I just wish you didn't have to rescue Imoen in Spellhold..she is so annoying =p. But I already slept with Viconia, so....=) But these side quests are another game! So many with great rewards.

Old 11-20-2000, 05:09 PM   #7
winglesfiend

The plotfrom bg2 sucks.That'sall I'm goingto say about it.
But I still liked it as much as 1

Old 11-20-2000, 05:12 PM   #8
winglesfiend

And another thing that bothers me.Your character keeps saying wow I have power I'm the strongest I'm child of bhaal while your party members do most the work.They should have give your main character special bhaalpowers or something like that

Old 11-20-2000, 06:18 PM   #9
Armisael

Oh, but they did!
Cure Light Wounds, Larloch's Minor Drain, Slow Poison... : P

Old 11-20-2000, 08:23 PM   #10
Suul-Yinn

Being the slayer also counts methinks...
Generally I think the game is far superior to BG1 overall and I thought Irenicus more original, if less scary, than Sarevok. Sarevok is a bit cliched and his goal unoriginal. However, Imoen's heritage was far too obvious, but since I haven't finished yet, I have hopes of her turning on me. The NPC's interaction is what makes the game for me and the lack of wandering through empty countryside.
I also agree that I cannot see where Black Isle can go now, as the characters are far too strong.