Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2001, 01:23 AM   #11
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
nope, im afraid you have to become a member to get the cheap-o DVDs... theyre an evil multinational corporation, do you THINK theyre giving away dvds for 49?

just trying to catch a hole in their agreement, nope
Old 10-11-2001, 03:49 AM   #12
Pangur Ban

Hi, 250

Yes, you do get the "directors selection" mailed to you each month. ( its probably something they have heaps of and are trying to get rid of ) You do have to send it back manually. You would be surprised to know how many people just pay up automatically when they recieve a bill, or forget to send the item back. Clubs love people like this !!

" ... Your introductory package is sent on a 10-day trial basis and includes complete details of membership. If you are not completely satisfied, you may return that package at our expense to cancel your membership and we will credit your account. "

Interesting. It appears as if they bill you even before you accept the goods ...

250, I joined a club with almost identical terms of service, conditions, and offers. It was for books, though, not DVDs.

( Baaaaad move )

What makes or breaks a club like this is the service you get.
The service we got from our club was best described as dismal. We were continually invoiced for books we had sent back. Despite many phone calls trying to straighten things out, it even got to the "threatening letter" stage.

Our address had been given out to other mailing lists. We also started recieving invitation joining letters from lots of other clubs, for everything from wine to carpentry books.

It took us over 12 months, and the threat of legal action, to finally get free from them. That was over 3 years ago - and they STILL sending us letters begging us to rejoin !!

I am not saying that this DVD club is bad, just saying "approach with caution". Try to find someone else who is ( or has been ) a member of the club - get their opinion. If in any doubt, don't join.

Pangur Ban

------------------

--------------------------------------
We are the society for putting broken bedsteads into ponds, its a very special purpose that we do ....
Old 10-11-2001, 03:57 AM   #13
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Hi, 250

hi Pangur Ban, welcome and THANKS A LOT!

that sounds just like it!! haha... I hate the way certain people do things. They should really learn from Japanese on this matter. when they give you service, they really think from your perspective, and provide the best for you (generally) not trying to con you and get your money...
Old 10-11-2001, 04:03 AM   #14
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

If its to good to be true, then its not true.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:06 AM   #15
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
as I am reading this, this agreement gives me an impression of

buy buy buy buy...

crap... but I dont know exactly which line is telling me "once you enroll, you have to buy this." anyone?
HEY, 250, wait a minute, will show you all the weasel words in there, how it really works, what they do that makes them money, annoys you, and how you can make them live up to their promise, and actually end up with the total number given of dvd's, at that price, hold on , here's the WINDUP:

------------------
Amanda's Dad

Official Pin-Up Girl Evaluator/Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:29 AM   #16
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
this is their member shipping term:

You get 4 DVDs for 49?each plus $1.99 each shipping and handling

this is obvious This is NOT so obvious, 250, this is THE WINDUP FOR THE PITCH(sales come-on) shred the fine print with your eyeballs till it's birdcage liner, you get 4 dvd's, for a total of*voice of Foghorn Leghorn* Ah say, that's there the GRAND Total, son, of a measly little ol 10$, ah say, that's american muhney, naow theah, boyy..*end the rooster. 250, notice no ifs, and or buts here, as of yet? the message is crafted to speed you forward through the stages of the "Buying Process".

As a Club member, all you need to do is buy 4 more movies in the next 2 years at regular Club prices (currently as low as $19.95 plus shipping and handling). You may cancel anytime thereafter.

that means I have to buy 4 more DVDs in next two years, for at least $20.00 each? well, not bad, since I want to buy them.ABSOLUTELY GIVE THE MAN AN A+ for demonstrating that messages can be scientificly crafted to generate a statistically reliable response in an already statified demographic market niche. - Look, 250, it does make sense, with the information they give - you know how much buying a new release dvd is going to cost you, right? let me ask you a question that the answer to has been hermetically sealed in a mayonaisse jar on the doorstep of Funk & Wagnells since last night apologies to jonny carson - sorry for the digression, the medicine isn't always effective...
they seem to be telling you that you can simply get your dvd's through them, at about the same price anyway, (oops, that little shipping and handling fee can't be discussed at this point of the artifically crafted sales process)

ADVANCE BONUS OFFER!

Take a 5th movie now for $14.95 (plus $1.99 shipping and handling)and you need only buy 3 more movies instead of 4 in the next 2 years.

... ok, acceptable could not agree more, but they just gave you a lemon for that peach you thought you got... above the bonus offer 250, did you see where they said all you needed was to get 4 more (only4!) at the low (compared to what?) *drumroll please*...REGULAR CLUB PRICES!!! - what you CANNOT know is that the "club apparently has to pay about 10-25 dOllArs APIECE MORE than you can buy these new releases locally - buy it in the store, new release, day of release, 25-50$, popular movie, - the only kind you are interested, right, 250? well, after you take advantage of their great offer to let you get the next movie from the listing at about 5 bucks off - why not go ahead and save another 5 bucks, right? gotta get another 4 in 2 years, could do it in a coma, no prob..
when you get your package a few months later, after having damn near forgot you ever did it in the first place (sorry, old snail mail memory, must purge from mainframe), you also get an amazing piece of paper that managed to inflate that ol'10 bucks you were going to spend into this amazingly sneaky amount:
original offer 10$ - includes shipping and handling, nice, eh?
bonus offer 14.95$, and uh, ohyeah, another
shipping chge 1.99$, ok, that comes toooooo....
$26.94, due in about 28 days from the beginning of the billing cycle, which was, oh, about 2and a half weeks ago, better get that check out now, or get a credit card number, 250, those late fees and finance charges are covered more fully in the fine print onthe back of your first bill.
still not doing too bad, except that the only movie dvd's you can GET FOR ONLY $19.95 - suck. things like national lampoons family vacation. national velvet. all the smokey and the bandit you can stand!
what? oh, no, the NEW, *GOOD* movies, the ones you like? 60$ for gone in sixty seconds, which is no longer even a new release by the time your "club" gets it.

As soon as you become a member, you're eligible for private Club offerings and special sales! Once you've completed your purchase requirement, you are also automatically enrolled in the Club's Bonus Plan, which entitles you to additional great savings on the DVDs you want. this means, as soon as they get you in the system, you are deluged with an ever growing amount of spam mail and email, letters postcards, and eloectronic admonitions to pay attention, here, sonny! oh, again - did they forget to TELL YOU that they took your name addresses, phone numbers, as many as you gave them, and sold them about 75-250 TIMES within the first thirty days of your "membership?"

what the heck is this Club Bonus Plan? and why am I "automatically" enrolled? I hate the term "automatically". entitles me to great savings on DVDs I want, that is a hint that I have to buy? YES, an A+ again, 250, cause not only will you buy those other three selections BEFORE YOU R FREE TO CANCEL "membership priveledges", but remember that little, itty bitty shipping and handling charge? well, he has been out back of the mailroom, doing enough steriods to approximately TRIPLE his weight by the next time you see him in the fine print that comes along with that 27 dollar bill for all the initial free stuff.
You will receive a free DVD Club magazine about every 4 weeks, as well as some Special Selection mailings. That will give you up to 17 buying opportunities per year!
wow... hold on there, 17? what does it mean by "opportunity"? something required? are you sure you are not a communications major, 250? you are asking the right questions.... 17 'opportunities means they will send you not only the list of mostly lame and would not want to buy it movies (always a few exceptions), about every 3 weeks, but if you do not fill that form out, check NOOOO all over it, and get it back to them telling them NOT TO SEND the Director's choice, or anything ELSE you never wanted, or next 3 week cycle, here is your new, directors choice cut dvd, priced as discussed before, with a shipping charge of anywhere from $6.99-$9.99 PER DVD. not only is this payable now, but if you do not want them to collect on your credit rating, or get a 'default judgement' that allows garnishment(if you have a traceable job)

If you want the Director's Selection, do nothing ---it will be sent automatically. If you prefer an alternate selection, more selections or none at all, just mail the response card or visit our web site by the date specified. You will always have at least 10 days to decide. If not, you may return the Director's Selection at our expense and we will credit your account.

so this Director's Selection thingin is a soemthing I have to cancle manually, correct? is this DVD? or just magazine? and 10 days to decide? lets see, it needs 5 days to arrive to me, and another 1 day till I check, then I send it back, bam, 11 days, past deadline... yes, 250, this made-to-be-difficult method of saying NO is called the "negative check-off option" - btw, language written this way in statutes, law, or voting booth is illegal in the United States, simply because it is garaunteed a response rate of around 30% - in other words, a third of all will simply fail to check a box no and hand or mail it in - no lie, proven socio-dynamic factiod slick ad-writing-guy is full of. *ahem*
he BANKS on it, literally, because that same third of people can be successfully bullied into paying a bill that legally they DO NOT HAVE TO - you can insert whatever reason you like here, that percentage does not change, mein freund, whether the I.R.S. sends it, checkwrite, or some record/movie club.

Your introductory package is sent on a 10-day trial basis and includes complete details of membership. If you are not completely satisfied, you may return that package at our expense to cancel your membership and we will credit your account.

what is my introductory package? good question again, 250, remember, you get the 4 offered dvd's at the tiny shipping rate... did you get the other 'bonus specal offer' of the 14.95$ one? when you get your first package, you will wish you had, because it seems like NONE of all the hit, hip, recent multi-media offerings in the Pitch and Delivery is actually available now that you have joined. here is where you get jaded, boring, cast-off movies that that only make it to television once a year any more, if lucky. -that is that low regular club price, si' senor? so, you buy 3 or 4 more sucky movies to not pay double for the newer, better ones. -

Offer limited to customers of the contiguous United States and may be withdrawn at any time. Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories, APO and FPO addresses, please write or e-mail us for a separate offer. (Tax added to orders in states where applicable.)

All applications are subject to review. Columbia House reserves the right to request additional information, to reject any application or to cancel any membership.

If your application is accepted, your membership is subject to the terms and conditions of our Membership Agreement, which we will send you with your introductory package.

this is the key: that means I am not a member yet? does it mean, I can buy the cheapass DVDs and NOT become a member?
what it means, is that you buy crap you do not want(with very rare exceptions) for too much money, or the ones you do want for about twice as much money each time, and uh, that lil' ol' shipping fee? he is a monster run for itnow!
bottom line, 250, the first four CAN, technically speaking, only cost you 10 bucks. but look at the next 4: 40-80$, times 4 (you did want a movie made in the last THREE years, did you not? 4 of those mean ol shipping charges, 7-10$each - you can spend as little as possible on the 4, call it 80$, plus $30-40 in shipping - about $130.00 is the minimum you will spend for the 8dvdz, or up to over $250.00, not counting any late charges, finance charges, filing charges, administrative charges, and of course, the charges charges.

Sorry to have hijacked your posting, 250, gawd, i hope you haven't gotten so old since i started it that you are shaving and leaving to be an U.N. peacekeeper already... i use to love getting (in those days - lmao) all the record club offers, i would take all the little stickers, then stick windows and doors shut on the whatever Barbietm playhouse it was my sister had. bwhahaha

------------------
Amanda's Dad

Old 10-11-2001, 05:39 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

Well, I would just like to put in a good word for the bookclub I was a member of - it's based in Britain though, they don't ship to the States.

They always gave plenty of chance to say 'no' to the monthly editor's choice - they would give like 2 months notice, and all you had to do if you didn't want to receive it was go to their website, put in your password and click a button to cancel, or send back the slip with the 'no I don't want it' box checked. But never sign up to anything where they send a monthly choice without asking in advance whether you would like to receive it - the postage to send it back mounts up

They made plenty of money out of me, but only because I bought loads of books I wanted anyway for my classes or for my own interest - and they were usually about a 20% discount on the retail price. So I saved money too.

I would always be wary though about signing up for anything where you are committed to buy a certain number of things a year. They say 'as little as $20' which means the bargain bucket DVD of 'Kids Favorite Nursery Rhymes' is $20, and anything you might actually want to buy is $50.

BTW, 250 - 'the fine print' is a slang term meaning the binding agreements in a contract that you may not notice - it comes from the fact that most of the terms and conditions of a contract are printed really really small so they are difficult to read.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-11-2001, 06:00 AM   #18
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Well, I would just like to put in a good word for the bookclub I was a member of - it's based in Britain though, they don't ship to the States.

They always gave plenty of chance to say 'no' to the monthly editor's choice - they would give like 2 months notice, and all you had to do if you didn't want to receive it was go to their website, put in your password and click a button to cancel, or send back the slip with the 'no I don't want it' box checked. But never sign up to anything where they send a monthly choice without asking in advance whether you would like to receive it - the postage to send it back mounts up

They made plenty of money out of me, but only because I bought loads of books I wanted anyway for my classes or for my own interest - and they were usually about a 20% discount on the retail price. So I saved money too.

I would always be wary though about signing up for anything where you are committed to buy a certain number of things a year. They say 'as little as $20' which means the bargain bucket DVD of 'Kids Favorite Nursery Rhymes' is $20, and anything you might actually want to buy is $50.

BTW, 250 - 'the fine print' is a slang term meaning the binding agreements in a contract that you may not notice - it comes from the fact that most of the terms and conditions of a contract are printed really really small so they are difficult to read.

thank you, my dear, for covering my misses, these feindishly clever clubs have quite famished me, must toddle off to the fridge while waiting for dragon mage to wake up and send me the test again...

------------------
Amanda's Dad

Old 10-11-2001, 07:41 AM   #19
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Everything J.J. Epona, John D and the others have said is true. These clubs are designed to screw you up.
My ex-wife decided to join a video tape club against what I had told her.
So she was paying $80 plus for videos we could have bought at Best Buy for
$19.99 each. Of course she didn't pay...but it's a long story.
Final word...DON'T DO IT!
J.J. is absolutely right.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:49 AM   #20
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:

Everything J.J. Epona, John D and the others have said is true.

Just wanted to re-iterate that my post was actually in support of the excellent bookclub I belonged to - but just with a warning to be careful about signing contracts which commit you to buying stuff you may not want at a price you may not be happy with when you find out what it is.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."