Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-14-2001, 08:07 AM   #1
ForgeX
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi pplz!
I have heard much about the Dwarven Fighter/Cleric and i must say that i cannot figure out what the fuss is all about. I cant see that is much difference between him and a Ranger/Cleric.
Can someone please explain to me why they are so special and popular?
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2001, 08:52 AM   #2
koz-ivan
Manshoon

the dwarf will always be a ftr & a cleric, he / she /it will never be only a ranger or only a 1st level cleric.

the dwarf's ftr abilites will continue to get better (important in tob)

dwarves break rocks, rangers climb trees, you choose which sounds cooler.

dwarves "natural" weapons include the warhammer, rangers "natural" weapon is the long bow, which one can be used by clerics?

dwarves have some neat warhammers to choose from before the crom is complete.

metagame bit:
the ranger cleric is often thought of as a better druid, since they can use druid spells also while a distinct advantage for the r/c some like myself won't use it since it's an engine limitation and not an actual feature provided by the class.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:00 AM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

The only benefit that I can think of for a F/C over a R/C (excepting role-playing reasons) is that Fighters can Grand Master in weapons, while Rangers cannot. Fighters also (I think) level up faster than Rangers.

In PnP, dwarves also get a THAC0 bonus vs. Humanoids and they get an AC bonus against Giants/Ogres/etc. because of their small size. I'm not sure that applies in BG however...

Personally, I'd rather go with an elven multi-class R/C or a dualled Human R/C as I like the stealth abilities and dual wield bonuses that a Ranger gets. I feel that is a fair trade-off for the loss of the Grand Master abilities (it's pretty nerfed now...).

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 08-14-2001, 09:40 AM   #4
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

no multiclass can grandmaster, sorry. Only pure fighters (and kits) can grandmaster.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:01 AM   #5
Tuor
Elminster

in answer to some questions/statements made earlier

Dwarves can play both pure class fighters and pure class clerics.

Neither a multiclass dwarven fighter cleric nor a ranger can go beyond two proficiencies in any weapon (unless you play an archer) but the ranger can put three proficiencies into two weapon style.

A ranger does advance more slowly than a pure fighter and a lot more slowly than a pure class cleric but advances quicker than a multi class fighter/cleric.

Dwarves get big bonuses to certain saving throws (poison I think) as their con increases and can have 19 con as well which is a big bonus for a fighter/cleric.

They like the ranger will get exceptional strength which is handy because str bonus is added to the damage caused by a sling.

Fighter cleric is a great multiclass-probably the best because you wear any armour, can cast good defensive spells have good hit points and is useful in a fight. It also cuts down on the number of characters you need for a balanced party-most need a mage, thief, fighter and a cleric so combining the fighter cleric leaves you needing two more characters maximum.

There are also good weapons available for the f/c long before the legendary items come into play so all round not a bad choice.

If comparing fighter/cleric multiclass to ranger/cleric multiclass to ranger cleric dual classed human there is only ever going to be one winner in my book and that is the dual class. You advance quicker you get to higher levels and you can use nearly all the cleric and druid spells.

Just be careful what proficiencies you pick at the start or you'll regret it-my ranger/cleric is 12th level ranger 33rd level cleric in ToB dual wielding the flail of ages and crom faeyr. And that is if before he decides to cast his spells.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:25 PM   #6
Cleric 2
Manshoon

there is a warhammer special for drawen that you can trow!!
LoL