Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-18-2001, 10:06 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I did, or rather, tried, to do the Twisted Rune. The thing that killed my party was the lich's time stop spell. How do you avoid/negate the stupid spell??

I know I'm probably too low a level, but I'd like to get the Staff of the Magi before I move on to Chap 4.

My party:

Kensai - lvl 13 (Flail of Ages, C/fury, Mace of Disruption +2, Adjatha the Drinker, and Namarra +2 dual wielded)
Minsc - lvl 12 or 13 (Joril's Dagger, Azuredege)
Keldorn - lvl 12 or 13 (Daystar, his personal sword)
Jaheira - lvl 11-12 (Blackblood, Sling of Everard)
Aeire - lvl 10-12 (The mace that boosts strength to 18, sling +2)
Jan - lvl 10-12 (Light xbow of speed, flametongue)

Levels are approximate, except for my kensai who I am sure is level 13.

Also, how do you dispel/get rid of a fireshield once it has been cast on the enemy mage?

Any tips or advice?

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-18-2001, 10:31 PM   #2
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

No way to defend against timestop, you just have to hope you survive the spells... however at lvl 12 you going to have a BIG porblem. My advice is to use theif traps or the skull trap spell to try to damage it as soon as it appears, once you have Shangalar the other shouldn't be too hard. Another tip is to use a theif with the cloak of non-detection, he will often spend a considerable amount of time attempting to use true sight to see the theif allowing you to attack unmolested... overall just keep trying different stratergies.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:45 AM   #3
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Summon your strongest creatures before assaulting, and move everyone except one character (buffed, hopefully) back up the stairs. Keep the creatures in the anteroom, and move the one character in to talk to shangalar. Once the dialouge is over, he will teleport into the anteroom, right into the midst of your creatures. If you have any luck you will get some cheap hits in one him before his protections go up. If you haven't attracted the attention of the other baddies (not easy), you can now dispel/breach his protections and attack with your tanks. You may be able to disrupt his time stop spell if you hit him quick enough.

*minor spoiler?*
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

But you are quite low level, not sure this will work for you as your party currently is composed. Seeing as Keldorn is using Daystar, I'd recommend tackling Lord Firekraag (Red Dragon) first, to get Carsomyr. You'd get nice experience, and some great items that could help against the Twisted Rune.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:22 AM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Okie-dokie I'll move along to Windspear Hills and pay a visit to ol' Big Red . I wan just fooling around with the Twisted Rune anyways.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-19-2001, 09:19 AM   #5
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Shangalar?

When I fought him, he lasted a few seconds only. Spoiler below on how to take him out fast.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
On entering the Twisted Rune area, we immediately realised that it was a trap.
My thief stealthed and scouted the area, finding no way out. We decided to make the little anteroom our base of ops, as the interesting items were in the other room.
When the thief returned, we laid a set of traps as we always do, and slept to replenish spells. Aerie cast Chant and Stoneskin, and Jaheira got her Iron skins up.
Then we went into the next room all buffed up.
Shangalar didn't last more than a moment when he teleported into a nest of traps.