Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
Greadius
The Magister

Okay. I have Saverok's diary, I have killed his assassin in the sewers. Now I need to confront him?
Problem is when I go through the front door to Saverok coronation with the invitation the dopplegangers kill the last remaining duke (female one) and most of my party. The undercellar assassins note said he was to meet them somewhere, but I can't find them beforehand, is there a way to intercept them so they don't make it to the coronation? And is there an underground passage to the building so I can avoid using the front door? Is the dutchess supposed to die or am I doing something wrong?
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 04:51 PM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I dont think there is another way in apart from the front door...

About the dopplegangers, they arent supposed to kill anyone, and they are always there in the coronation, so you should take them out. Ive never had that problem, so i cant tell you better, sorry.

------------------

You up ?? Beware !! When falling, better fall from down
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 05:28 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

You can always summon LOADS of skeletons as blockers for the dukes, that's what I did....the whole screen was filled with my skeletons.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

The dopplegangers will try to kill everyone. You need to save at least one duke. Work hard. Pause IMMEDIATELY , and target every one of them, either with ranged weapons, or magic. Keep them busy, and attack.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:11 PM   #5
Greadius
The Magister

This is what happens when you become too complacent with hit & run and fireballs. Why don't those darn dukes have fire resistance! Actually, I think I am kind of a low level for this point in the game. Each of my party has about 30k... is that why I am having so much trouble?

Oh well, off to try it again. Banzai!
Old 05-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #6
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I would advise exploring the game more - you must have missed soooo much.. The xp cap is 89,000 is there for a reason - to allow you to get that much and be high enough level to fight without using too cheesy tacktics. So, you need to kill all the dopplegangers with at least 1 Duke remaining alive. It Good luck.
Remember, animate dead will summon the number of skeletons equal to your cleric's level and they don't unsummon. So try it.
dimon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:20 PM   #7
Greadius
The Magister

Okay, I managed to summon 18 little monsters and set them up as buffers before I went in. A couple fires from my flamestrike wand and my magic missile wands, and they were flattened with one of the Dukes left alive... and my party barely got hit. The strategy worked nicely.

I ended up finishing the game with just under 40k. The skeletal warriors were tough since my party couldn't take much damage and the hit & run I usually used didn't work with their arrows. That party in the center of the undead town was a synch since I could use my backstab & run technique very effectively, and because their dumb mage cast cloudkill on the center of the party almost killing or killing all of them.

And I cheesed Saverok, the character got stuck trying to chase after a skeleton I summoned and my thief was within strike range hidden. My fighter threw his axe at him with immunity and he stood there and died away.

NOW I've beaten it, I can go back with another party and do EVERYTHING in the game... its my playstyle, I grew up on Nintendo... thanks for the hints about monster summoning, they really work.