Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

They need bows. Duh. However, what is good for the archer's melee weapon? I have been changing my mind about this a lot. An archer, being a ranger, starts with 2 *s in dual wielding, but that doesn't work with a bow (it gets tedious, switching the weapons around all the time). Should I use single weapon proficiency, or suck it up and dual wield? Also, I had originally intended on having him use the CF, but after I got Valygar I am giving that to him. Since I just made the FoA, should I use that?

TIA!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

I actually suggest giving an Archer a 2H-ed weapon that you wouldn't otherwise use. (Remember, that you don't normally want to have your archer in melee.) A good halberd or spear is a nice option.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

The archer's best melee weapon should be the boots of speed... so that he can run away from the guy attacking him and turn him into a pincushion with his BOW!

Oh, and if you absolutely MUST have a melee weapon to equip, I concur with Magness that you use a two-handed weapon such as a spear, halberd, or even a staff. Ignore your 2* in dual wielding as it will only cause you much consternation when you try to switch between your dual weapons and your projectile weapon.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Back when I had an archer I always gave him two short swords. Role-Playing-Wise I loved it.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

legolas in LOTR only had a dagger and killing orcs in melee point blank range.. kinda funny when you compare it to here.

oh dont mind.. just rambling [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

my solo archer was modelled on the idea of a primitive hunter so her feature melee weapons were dagger, spear and axe

she did carry other weapons for special occasions but these were the main ones
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

There are some great Helberds in the game that never get to see the light of day because of "better" melee weapons and NPC's with no points in them..

Same goes for spears.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

Which is why those weapons are great for archers.

Archers should rarely have to resort to their melee weapons. And if these are rarely used weapons, that just means that the best, rarely used weapons are getting used (rarely) by characters who should rarely need to use them.

It's kind of symbiotic! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Neomi:
The archer's best melee weapon should be the boots of speed... so that he can run away from the guy attacking him and turn him into a pincushion with his BOW!

Oh, and if you absolutely MUST have a melee weapon to equip, I concur with Magness that you use a two-handed weapon such as a spear, halberd, or even a staff. Ignore your 2* in dual wielding as it will only cause you much consternation when you try to switch between your dual weapons and your projectile weapon.
It's just a pain trying to switch between a bow and dual-wielded weapons that you should be using only rarely.

I suppose from a roleplaying perspective, an archer should use one fairly simple 1 handed sword or dagger as a backup, cuz it's easy to stick in a scabbard and whip out in a hurry.

However, from a game playing perspective, I think that using the rarely used weapons works out great. There are some great and powerful 2H weapons out there, like the Impaler spear or the Ravager halberd.

Also, why tie up a great 1H weapon in the hands of someone who should rarely use it? (unless you wouldn't be using it for other reasons, I suppose)
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Well, there is the Pause feature which also works in the Inventory screen. Switching weapons only takes what, three seconds?
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote