Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-13-2001, 11:41 AM   #11
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

detect illusion? i didnt think anyone used that since ANY hidden door will reveal itself if you stand there long enough, and the only other use is dispelling those werewolves at the circus tent (which you can kill anyway). i think its pretty useless unless youve found some tactic with it i havent.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:47 AM   #12
hagimihale
Manshoon

my party consists of:

Myself (human NG Sorcerer)

Minsc

Anomen (he's passed his test - I can deal with his haughty personality and will probably keep him)

Jahiera (undecided here but leaning towards keeping her)

Jan (not as good a thief as Yoshi, but his role as a backup spellcaster is a worthwhile tradeoff - but longterm I'm wondering if Imoen is better)

Viconia (added her short term to do some minor quests in the city before Jan's and Anomen's quests kicked in - will most likely give her the boot for other NPCs for their quests: Mazzy, Keldorn, Valygar etc)

My considerations regarding Imoen vs. Jan:

1. Thieving skills: Imoen cannot advance further. Open locks isnt THAT important since I can cast Knock. Neither is pickpocket - I find I dont use it that much. Set traps IS a consideration but Jan hasn't been that effective at setting them. FIND traps is my main line of thinking - Jan has been EXCELLENT here.

2. Spellcasting. Does Jan's intelligence prevent him from casting high level spells in either SoA or ToB? I've read that only Nalia and Imoen can get the really high level spells.

It seems to me that these concerns may be more relevant in ToB than in SoA. I'm still a newbie and appreciate any and all replies from this board. This game is quite addicting! =)
Old 09-13-2001, 12:21 PM   #13
oldbittercraig
Elminster

what it comes down to is find/remove traps vs. faster mage advancement and access to high level spells.

As for two casters at once, I have a party with three mages- it's not that chaotic and is incredibly effective. You can completely tip the balance of a fight before your tanks even wade into battle...
Old 09-13-2001, 01:28 PM   #14
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

There's a thing I'm curious about.

"Detect Illusion" skill lets you to detect hidden doors, right? I may be wrong so if I am, please correct me. If your thief has detect illusion skill and it's high purple doors appears quickly if you're low with this skill, it may take a few seconds more and if you leave the area you can miss it. Am I right my friends?
Old 09-13-2001, 01:32 PM   #15
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
There's a thing I'm curious about.

"Detect Illusion" skill lets you to detect hidden doors, right? I may be wrong so if I am, please correct me. If your thief has detect illusion skill and it's high purple doors appears quickly if you're low with this skill, it may take a few seconds more and if you leave the area you can miss it. Am I right my friends?
Everyone has a chance per round (?) of detecting secret doors. Thiefs are high in this. With detect traps on they will ALWAYS immediately see it. I am unsure that detect illusions help at all.

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 03:21 PM   #16
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Imoen's detect ilusion skill is 0. So it means she has the same chance with a non-thief chracater, right?

___________________-

hhma
Old 09-13-2001, 04:55 PM   #17
Burrtoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I thought detect illusion would let you see through illusion/phantasm spells, such as simulacrum. Is that right?

The Toe
Old 09-13-2001, 05:31 PM   #18
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
Imoen is sexy
That's disgusting! Imoen's your sister!

Old 09-13-2001, 05:38 PM   #19
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I havent played bg1 and I dont know her never saw her before
I Lost my memory at the beginning of bg2. so I dont remember that she is my sis
Old 09-13-2001, 07:53 PM   #20
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Depends on wether you want a thief > mage (jan) or a mage > theif (imoen). I prefer Jan as BG2 really lacks good theifs but if i'm playing good i usually end up with imoen.