Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #11
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
On no - a classic case of shooting from the hip - he lines up the shot and

AIRBALL [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Sorry to tell you Ray, she is competing on an equal footing, she has no special forward tee positions, and she is playing by the same set of rules. She is in the men's category, and she is teeing off from where all the men do.

Is is historic - sure is in this day and age - the age of the athlete golfer where men (and women) hit the gym heavily to get extra length through physical conditioning.

It was great seeing Annika hit in a 6 iron to a par 3 and watch the next 10 guys hit 6 iron. I only watched the first 14 holes - it was getting too late for me (1:30 am), but in terms of how close to the pin your approach shot was, she would have easily been in the top 10 % of what I saw. Her putting really let her down - it is these shorter shots where the nerves and the tension of the occasion were most likely to get to her. But for some more confidence in the putting stroke, she would have been up in the top 20 easily.

Go Annika [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ok lets go over my post carefully here...I said I wasn't impressed because she wasn't playing by the same rules...so far I have one guy saying she is, and ABC news saying she isn't......

Ok is she teeing off at the same place that the men are or is she taking the forward "womens" tee? I did not criticise her abilities nor he right to compete in a mens tournament...I protested special treatment.

Now...who threw which airball?

Now riddle me this...why are men not allowed to play on the LPGA?

Old 05-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Donut
Jack Burton

"Annika Shoots 71 in 1st Round at Colonial"

And people still say there should be no gun control. *sigh*
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-23-2003, 08:34 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Ok lets go over my post carefully here...I said I wasn't impressed because she wasn't playing by the same rules...so far I have one guy saying she is, and ABC news saying she isn't......

Ok is she teeing off at the same place that the men are or is she taking the forward "womens" tee? I did not criticise her abilities nor he right to compete in a mens tournament...I protested special treatment.

Now...who threw which airball?

Now riddle me this...why are men not allowed to play on the LPGA?
Mmmm! You seem to be very confused on this one. You don't 'throw' the ball in golf, you get a long stick thing to 'hit' it.

But it's definitely your airball. Either ABC are wrong or you misheard it!

And men can't play in a women's tournament because that just wouldn't be fair would it?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-23-2003, 09:10 AM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Mmmm! You seem to be very confused on this one. You don't 'throw' the ball in golf, you get a long stick thing to 'hit' it.

Dang...and I got an 88 without using a club...wonder what I could have done usein one of them fancy sticks?

But it's definitely your airball. Either ABC are wrong or you misheard it!

Hardly my fault if ABC mis-reported but I can't find anything anywhere in print that says one way or the other...did you or anyone you know happen to watch the event? I was working so missed it errr...I think Davros Golfs...do you? (I ask only because If so, you may actually have caught the event on TV)

And men can't play in a women's tournament because that just wouldn't be fair would it?

Why not? I am sure there are men who could compete on equal footing in the LPGA.

[ 05-23-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-23-2003, 11:03 AM   #15
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Funny that ABC would make such an error... the appearence of Annika has caused a pretty severe tempest in the teacup of professional golf.

A point, MagiK -- another woman (whose name I misremember)has qualified to play at Hartford later this year. Her qualification was controversial because she did, in fact, use the forward tees. I haven't heard one way or another as to whether she will use those tees in that tournament. This subject always comes up when Annika's appearence at Colonial is mentioned. Possibly ABC garbled the stories or you weren't entirely attentive.

Hey, what can I say? I watched her whole round, she was playing from the same tees. As you say, the thing wouldn't be nearly so interesting if she were not.

As for the other topic, of men on the LPGA and women invading the (Implied M) PGA, that one is a pretty hot potato. Show me any three people who could discuss that issue quietly and clearheadedly, and I'd be amazed. The amount of invective the subject has produced reminds me of the nastiest religious debates -- the ones that usually end up with blood on the floor. I doubt many women would want to play regularly on the PGA Tour at this juncture, because they'd do a lot better financially on the LPGA. OTOH, I doubt many men would want to compete on the LPGA because they'd be too embarrassed. It's bad enough being relegated to the Nationwide Tour, or Asia or Canada or some other such barbarous place -- the perceived second-ratedness (or even third-ratedness) of the LPGA would make it anathema to all but the most mercenary of male golfers.

As for women competing against men, why not, after all? "Because they're not as good," is the usual response. So, okay. If they're not as good, they won't compete. Simple. Why is it a problem? It's funny. Most pro athletes are dedicated capitalists -- just look at their paychecks. [img]smile.gif[/img] Most believers in capitalism say that good products will drive out bad, that a commodity will find it's proper level in an unregulated marketplace. Yet when it comes to applying Gresham's Law to gender issues, they become most uncapitalistic indeed. Something wrong, here.

-- Mal
Old 05-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #16
MagiK

Thanks for the clairity there Malth. [img]smile.gif[/img] It could be that I garbled the two stories while listening to ABC news on the Captiol Beltway, and your information about watching the tourny and seeing her use the same Tee's completly satisfied my argument...she did compete as an equal and so in that case I applaude her skill as a duffer [img]smile.gif[/img] As I said, before I have never shot a 71 in my life, forward tee's or no.

I did hear that she was actually having an exceptional short game too.

[ 05-23-2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-23-2003, 01:56 PM   #17
Malthaussen
Manshoon

The Capitol Beltway? You have my deepest empathy. Anyone trying to negotiate that circus in rush hour may be excused for missing a few nigglin' little details in a news report.

-- Mal
Old 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM   #18
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

She has to be using the same tees as everyone else. They only have one set in a pro tourney.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #19
Lovisa
Manshoon

I dunno anything about golf but she rocks!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Malthaussen:
The Capitol Beltway? You have my deepest empathy. Anyone trying to negotiate that circus in rush hour may be excused for missing a few nigglin' little details in a news report.

-- Mal
Is why I avoid it when ever possible [img]smile.gif[/img]