Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #31
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Wow, that's quite something Gangrell,
I appreciate you sharing that!

Are you allowed to say the company name, or did you sign a waver or something?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #32
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Wow Gamgrell... That was some shitty job you had there.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #33
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I'd rather not say who it was really, just, don't work retail lol.

Heh, I've had a lot worse, retail jobs are full of egotistical pricks that have a god complex.

*sits around the campfire*

I worked in grocery retail, at a very large, well known store and I worked 3rd shift stock. Out of 15 people, the top workers were me and 2 other guys, we just got the job done quicker and better than the others. Our boss was even worse than the typical manager, "you suck, pick up your feet zombie, etc etc".

Well, that day I had a really, really bad time at court and so later that night from stress, I had a hypertension episode, your heartbeat doubles or triples, I fell over, thought I had a heart attack. When the paramedics came by, my manager stood across from my and said, "Pfft, great, he's not done." Saw him smiling and heard him laughing when they carried me out. He told me later he thought I was faking it.

Nobody liked him, I mean, no one, so eventually, me and him got into a shouting match that lasted a half hour, so I said screw it and I walked out.

Wasn't all bad, when I left, I took 4 people with me

Sad thing is, I'm not the only one, sometimes you gotta work the crappy jobs, but you shouldn't have to work yourself stupid when it's not even to get something nice, it's just to make sure you stay alive, it sucks.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #34
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrell View Post
I'd rather not say who it was really, just, don't work retail lol.

Heh, I've had a lot worse, retail jobs are full of egotistical pricks that have a god complex.

*sits around the campfire*

I worked in grocery retail, at a very large, well known store and I worked 3rd shift stock. Out of 15 people, the top workers were me and 2 other guys, we just got the job done quicker and better than the others. Our boss was even worse than the typical manager, "you suck, pick up your feet zombie, etc etc".

Well, that day I had a really, really bad time at court and so later that night from stress, I had a hypertension episode, your heartbeat doubles or triples, I fell over, thought I had a heart attack. When the paramedics came by, my manager stood across from my and said, "Pfft, great, he's not done." Saw him smiling and heard him laughing when they carried me out. He told me later he thought I was faking it.

Nobody liked him, I mean, no one, so eventually, me and him got into a shouting match that lasted a half hour, so I said screw it and I walked out.

Wasn't all bad, when I left, I took 4 people with me

Sad thing is, I'm not the only one, sometimes you gotta work the crappy jobs, but you shouldn't have to work yourself stupid when it's not even to get something nice, it's just to make sure you stay alive, it sucks.
Amen. Yes, retail is horrible. I will never do it again. When I was younger I did work at stores just to get by but vowed to never return. Not just the managers, but customers are generally rude as shit. I did not understand just how selfish people were until I worked in a store serving them on a daily basis.

I've seen many a customer throw a tantrum or fit because they do not like something, generally treating people like dirt, all the while expecting them to apologize and smile sweetly while they make you an avenue for their own frustration and anger. And, I am thick-skinned generally so very little insults me on a personal level, but it certainly can make you kind of cynical and bitter after a time. As a result, though, it did give me a new appreciation and understanding for the people that serve us every day in retail stores and how we can easily take them for granted, forgetting we are dealing with human beings who have jobs as opposed to robots who must provide us with instant gratification!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #35
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Amen. Yes, retail is horrible. I will never do it again. When I was younger I did work at stores just to get by but vowed to never return. Not just the managers, but customers are generally rude as shit. I did not understand just how selfish people were until I worked in a store serving them on a daily basis.

I've seen many a customer throw a tantrum or fit because they do not like something, generally treating people like dirt, all the while expecting them to apologize and smile sweetly while they make you an avenue for their own frustration and anger. And, I am thick-skinned generally so very little insults me on a personal level, but it certainly can make you kind of cynical and bitter after a time. As a result, though, it did give me a new appreciation and understanding for the people that serve us every day in retail stores and how we can easily take them for granted, forgetting we are dealing with human beings who have jobs as opposed to robots who must provide us with instant gratification!
Truer words never spoken.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #36
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

It's sad, isn't it?
Many of these people are the hardest working and yet, they get the least respect and the lowest wages.

Oops, missed a word in there.

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 03-29-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #37
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
It's sad, isn't it?
Many of these people are the hardest and yet, they get the least respect and the lowest wages.
And yet, without them no retail company could succeed. Though I do recall one event where I got a $20 tip for carrying styrofoam out to some lady's car. kinda made my day.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #38
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Not much it seems, Unlike a lot of people I know, i'm spending, spending, spending!

In fact, this is my latest purchase:

Should arrive tomorrow I hope and I will brag about how much I like it most likely when it does

But to those that have lost their jobs, I don't have words, it sucks that our economies can be so sophisticated yet so fragile, I still feel however if it weren't for a lot of the media hype, people would still be spending and keeping others in a job.

I'm no economist, but hopefully if we can convince people to start spending mindlessly, we might just make it out!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #39
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Happy Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Ahhh... to be young again... in my fantasy world, that's a Roland TD-20 electronic drumset...

With a few more add-ons, to be sure...

As for retail, I worked it growing up, and not *all* managers are a$$holes. The smart ones realize that employees, from stockroom on up, are smart and can add a lot of value.

The others make life hell.

As for me, I can say working there made me a better customer.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #40
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Not much it seems, Unlike a lot of people I know, i'm spending, spending, spending!

In fact, this is my latest purchase:

Should arrive tomorrow I hope and I will brag about how much I like it most likely when it does
May you rot in hell Hive