Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you honestly care if he did actually smoke from the bong?
Yes. OMG, he's the greatest model our children have, what will become of this society! 3 16.67%
No. He's young, and will learn from his mistakes. 10 55.56%
Yes. This will become a lesson for all of society to learn from. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #31
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Poll: Does anybody care about Michael Phelps and his bong?

Chewie, sounds like you have a case of religious fervor there.
its a freakin plant. why are you so attached? That in and of it self sounds like a dependency problem.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #32
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I voted the OMG option because I took it to be facetious. I've smoked MAYBE a whole ounce of pot in my entire life of 45 years. And done others things (speaking of which can anyone get me some LSD?). About 1/2 the people I know smoke pot. I could get it in 15 minutes if I wanted to. Probably about anyone can. Seems to me we could use the tax revenue a bit more than the bullshit fines involved if you're caught with marijuana.

And Cerek your side effects arguement...I'm sorry but thats almost laughable. No offense intended but they have been studying pot far longer than any drug approved by the FDA. Alcohol certainly has more harmful effects not only to the body but to the public in general(drunk driving, alcohol fueled "incidents", etc). Cigarettes ( the obvious). Gasoline fumes/carbon monoxide (carcinigans anyone?). Thousands upon thousands of products have side effects.

The witchhunt on Phelps and his friends is bullshit. Seriously, who cares? Now South Carolina prosecuters are charging them with a criminal offense which will go on their record. I would wager some of the very idiots pursuing the charges have smoked pot. And lets not forget the fact that they will have a hard time proving anything, because well we all know anything posted on the internet is true right? If so I'll buy myself a radar gun and a camera and get to work catching speeders on the interstate and posting it online. Hell I'll even make a disc and send it to the state troopers. I'm sure they'll get right on the ticket issueing.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
For 70+ years the government
To trespass on a neighbor's freedom to enjoy a simple good herb, a fruit of the earth. Tyrany, there is no other word for it.
Sure there is - it's called "democracy". If it were tyranny, then marijuana would be illegal everywhere for any reason. It is not. It has been declared illegal by our elected officials. You don't like their ideas, vote them out of office. Even though many people do smoke marijuana, it seems the majority is either "ok" with marijuana being illegal or don't care enough to worry about it. If the masses truly demanded change, then it's possible it could be legalized. Again, that defies your hysterical cry of "tyranny". (kinda like people demonizing Bush by calling him "Hitler" when Bush at his worst couldn't come close to the atrocities commited by Adolf - but don't let trivial facts get in the way of a good hysterical rant).

LoA - if you go back and re-read my post, you might notice I mentioned several other drugs besides marijuana. Most of the side-effects I referred to are associated with those. That doesn't mean marijuana is completely innocent. Research has shown that it marijuana does affect short term memory. There have been other side effects associated with prolonged use, but I haven't read the research recently enough to remember what they are.

I also never said marijuana was any worse than cigarettes or alcohol. I'll readily admit the effects from these two substances can be far more damaging (immediately with alcohol and long term with tobacco) and it is hypocritical that these two substances remain legal. Which means supporters of marijuana need to take democratic steps to get the laws changed.

My original point still stands, however. Whether you agree or disagree with the law, the fact remains that it is AGAINST the law to smoke marijuana (not that it really slows anybody down who wants it). So, if you're going to smoke marijuana, then you have to accept the consequences of your actions if you get caught.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

They just said on the news yesterday that it is (or may be) linked to cancer of the nuts.
Maybe Phelps is trying to loose his to give him an edge?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #35
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Without joining an argument of whether or not Marijuana is good or bad, the fact is that in most places its illegal and considered a bad thing.

I have always felt no sympathy towards people like Phelps who do the wrong thing, sure people make mistakes, but I believe when you are paid endorsements and extremely large wages like he is, you must sacrifice some freedoms in order to keep them.
If a football player who earns 800k a year makes a scene in a bar and has a fight, I think they should be punished, just like everyone else, your job is to please/entertain the public, if it wasn't for them, you couldn't afford your solid gold toilet seats and fancy cars
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #36
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's currently illegal. Whether it should be or not is another issue, although perhaps all it will take is a couple of high-profile cases to sway things. However, there have been many higher-profile people busted for pot over the years, so I hold no high hopes for that.

The SC Sheriff, however, appears to be going *WAY* out of his way to make this an issue. I suspect that he's going *SO* far with arresting and interviewing people that he's going to follow that guy who prosecuted the Duke Lacrosse team...right out of office.

Folks being arrested are being grilled not about what they've done, but almost exclusively about Phelps. If that's not approaching a witch hunt, I've got property in Salem Mass for sale...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #37
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiK View Post
Chewie, sounds like you have a case of religious fervor there.
its a freakin plant. why are you so attached? That in and of it self sounds like a dependency problem.

It's Religion 101 or rather 1:11.

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-11.htm

Speaking of problems, your problem in the post is acting like some kind of know-it-all internet psycho-analyst. It shows your narcisistic tendency imo. Basically, Your a jerk.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #38
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Sure there is - it's called "democracy". If it were tyranny, then marijuana would be illegal everywhere for any reason. It is not. It has been declared illegal by our elected officials. You don't like their ideas, vote them out of office. Even though many people do smoke marijuana, it seems the majority is either "ok" with marijuana being illegal or don't care enough to worry about it. If the masses truly demanded change, then it's possible it could be legalized. Again, that defies your hysterical cry of "tyranny". (kinda like people demonizing Bush by calling him "Hitler" when Bush at his worst couldn't come close to the atrocities commited by Adolf - but don't let trivial facts get in the way of a good hysterical rant).

LoA - if you go back and re-read my post, you might notice I mentioned several other drugs besides marijuana. Most of the side-effects I referred to are associated with those. That doesn't mean marijuana is completely innocent. Research has shown that it marijuana does affect short term memory. There have been other side effects associated with prolonged use, but I haven't read the research recently enough to remember what they are.

I also never said marijuana was any worse than cigarettes or alcohol. I'll readily admit the effects from these two substances can be far more damaging (immediately with alcohol and long term with tobacco) and it is hypocritical that these two substances remain legal. Which means supporters of marijuana need to take democratic steps to get the laws changed.

My original point still stands, however. Whether you agree or disagree with the law, the fact remains that it is AGAINST the law to smoke marijuana (not that it really slows anybody down who wants it). So, if you're going to smoke marijuana, then you have to accept the consequences of your actions if you get caught.
So the history of prohibition back to 1937 is based on fair principles and the application of democracy? You'll testify to that?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #39
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
So the history of prohibition back to 1937 is based on fair principles and the application of democracy? You'll testify to that?
Prohibition was overturned. So, yes, that sounds like democracy in action.

Several drugs have been declared illegal for various reasons and all of these drugs have been proven to have different negative effects on the people who use them - some more serious than others.

If you disagree with a law in this country, you can speak out against it and start a movement to get it changed. There is a process in place for changing laws that people don't like - and it is NOT left up to the idiosyncratic whims of a supreme ruler. So, like it or not, the fact that marijuana is illegal is NOT the result of tyranny.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #40
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Well, what it really comes down to, marijuana may be seen by a lot of people as harmless in comparison to a lot of other substances that normally get abused, but it's still a drug that is illegal.

It has nothing to do with tyranny or the whole 'well, this shouldn't happen cause they've done it too'. I agree with LoA, access to it is really rather simple and more than a fair share of people I know also do it. Should it be sidestepped because of that? No, cause it's a lame reason. And it probably is safe to assume that these same people that use it themselves are busting Phelps for it.

It's not tyranny, it's hypocrisy.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote