Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Sorry to busrt your bubble Stormy, but you are guilty of falling for another hoax. Your account looked extremely dubious to me, an Aussie who keeps up with news in his country. I searched on Google to learn more about this amazing granny of whom I have never heard and I found this :

Quote:
This chain letter began masquerading as a legitimate news report in 2000 and contains popular elements of urban legendry: A female victim, male attackers and an unlikely hero. There are several signs it is not as it appears:

While it mimics the look and feel of a real news article, it lacks several key elements to make it believable and verifiable (e.g., a byline, date) and the writing is somewhat unconventional.

The message contains language that would be inconsistent with a news report from Australia. Instead, it is much more in line with an American author, indicating that it was either crafted in the U.S. and later adapted to Australia, or was written by an American to look like an Australian report.

Real law enforcement officials would not likely look so likely upon Ava Estelle's actions. Most take vigilantism very seriously and would hardly be "baffled" on how to treat her. She committed a crime and would be arrested and tried. Perhaps, the author set the tale in Australia due to a global perception of Australians being more laid-back and independent and thus, more likely to admire a "gun-toting granny."

Exhaustive searches of U.S. and Australian news sources fail to turn up any reliable account of the alleged events. Nor are there any accounts of the trial and prosecution of Evan Delp, Davis Furth or Ava Estelle in the Office of Public Prosecutions in Melbourne. In fact, many sources have even printed stories describing the story as a hoax.
The story is believed to have most likley evolved from the gun loving minds of one of your more fervent local NRA members Stormy. It makes good copy, and it spreads the message an armed society is a polite society. A message that we Aussies would colloqially describe as DRIBBLE and the Brits would tell you was BOLLOCKS. Not a pair of shot off revenge luvin granny hated bollocks - just bollocks.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
Arvon
Unicorn

Good show Granny!

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 09-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #13
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Sorry to busrt your bubble Stormy, but you are guilty of falling for another hoax. Your account looked extremely dubious to me, an Aussie who keeps up with news in his country. I searched on Google to learn more about this amazing granny of whom I have never heard and I found this :

quote:

This chain letter began masquerading as a legitimate news report in 2000 and contains popular elements of urban legendry: A female victim, male attackers and an unlikely hero. There are several signs it is not as it appears:

While it mimics the look and feel of a real news article, it lacks several key elements to make it believable and verifiable (e.g., a byline, date) and the writing is somewhat unconventional.

The message contains language that would be inconsistent with a news report from Australia. Instead, it is much more in line with an American author, indicating that it was either crafted in the U.S. and later adapted to Australia, or was written by an American to look like an Australian report.

Real law enforcement officials would not likely look so likely upon Ava Estelle's actions. Most take vigilantism very seriously and would hardly be "baffled" on how to treat her. She committed a crime and would be arrested and tried. Perhaps, the author set the tale in Australia due to a global perception of Australians being more laid-back and independent and thus, more likely to admire a "gun-toting granny."

Exhaustive searches of U.S. and Australian news sources fail to turn up any reliable account of the alleged events. Nor are there any accounts of the trial and prosecution of Evan Delp, Davis Furth or Ava Estelle in the Office of Public Prosecutions in Melbourne. In fact, many sources have even printed stories describing the story as a hoax.
The story is believed to have most likley evolved from the gun loving minds of one of your more fervent local NRA members Stormy. It makes good copy, and it spreads the message an armed society is a polite society. A message that we Aussies would colloqially describe as DRIBBLE and the Brits would tell you was BOLLOCKS. Not a pair of shot off revenge luvin granny hated bollocks - just bollocks. [/QUOTE]oh well, was fun while it lasted
Old 09-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #14
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
While I don't condone her actions, this lady sure have balls, unlike the rapists.
Oh, that's bad...but still funny.

I'm pro-granny in this one. I think I'm even more pro-martial arts, though...some creep tries to force you into doing something with a knife, and you take it from him/her.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

While I live by the Wisdom of the Great Philosophers; No Man deserveth a kick on his Most Holies, I'm willing to make an exception when it comes to rape.

Kick it, ladies!

[ 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 09-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

So by that last statement Stormy (quote : It was fun while it lasted ) with the grinning smiley are you saying that you knew it was a hoax all along. Are you saying that you just wanted to perpetuate the myth that an armed society is a polite society and you didn't care who of your friends here at IW you fooled and took for a ride.

I am reminded of the story and the lessons of the boy who called wolf.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
the feelings that the girl will face for the rest of her life are alot harder to deal with than what the law would give them
Even though this is only a theoretical point, as Davros pointed out this is such an obvious hoax, I strongly disagree. If this had happened, the grandmother would have done her grandchild a great injury. Everyone would know the girl was raped, the media would be all over her, she would not be granted time and peace to deal with it in her own way and shame would probably just about kill her. Some women do manage to forgive whoever did it, you know, or at least do not want to fall back on such barbarous tactics because of privately held convictions. Bloodthirsty idiots with big mouths and no real empathy with the victims should not be so quick to be the ones to administer fantasised punishment - that should be a part of the victim's own process of recovery which is different in every single case.

[ 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #18
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
So by that last statement Stormy (quote : It was fun while it lasted ) with the grinning smiley are you saying that you knew it was a hoax all along.
I am reminded of the story and the lessons of the boy who called wolf.
no, actually, I did not know it was a hoax. but I will not justify me reasons for posting it.
Quote:
Are you saying that you just wanted to perpetuate the myth that an armed society is a polite society and you didn't care who of your friends here at IW you fooled and took for a ride.
how many people here p[ost things just like this knowing they are jokes? and are not insulted about it? as stated above, I did not know it was a hoax, and in fact the person who sent it to me did not know either, for it was my husband.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #19
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Well, either way, I enjoyed it immensely! I think everyone feels very similar towards rapists, whether we are violent and gun-toting, or not!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #20
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

It's a very interesting to read story about people taking matters into their own hand. even if it's a false story.