Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

like the title said, how unlucky can i be?? as some of you know, that i was suppose to be going to Australia for my college. alas, it seems that would not come to pass. first of all, the enrollment deadline of my tuition of my school will be due tommorow and my student visa coming from the australian embassy is nowhere in sight. this is the second time that certain events prevented me from studying abroad.

Story mode: bear with me

okay, here is the thing. it has nearly been 1-2 years that this idea that i study abroad in australia was given to me by my parents. originally, i didnt mind whether or not i go to australia or stay here (im already accepted here in my college in the philippines and was doing my first year then and i am now in my third year this year). after doing the english test for the IDP for the australia embassy, and submitted my application plus transcript of records and also attended some open forum and seminars regarding the schools that i will be applying for. finally, just last year, i recieved word that i was accepted in UTS and University of Sydney in New south Wales. now all i need is my student Visa and voila i would be in australia studying for my college degree. i have my own reasons why i wanted to study in australia but i would be going off-topic then. anyway, so last year, i finalized everything and submitted to my counselor all the requirement last november (nearing december) for my visa when my first disaster struck. the australian embassy somehow learned that there was a terrorist threat (which turned out to be false) and was forced to close the embassy therfor hampered my process of my visa before the process was even started. to make matters worse, one of the requirements (which has to do with the update of my parents banking account) expired and i had to wait another 3 months. now, this year (last april) after everything was finalized again and i have already passed the requirements for my visa, disaster struck. it turns out the entire australian embassy is moving to a new building (for better security against terror threat) therefor there is no communication, work or even processing of any sort during the transfer which is ongoing now. therefor my trip to australia for college maybe undeniebly cancelled because i do not wish to pursue for the third time. my college there will give me additional 3 years of study while here if i go on schedule will be on college for 1.5 years left. since i am already on my third year while there i will be going back to my first year as a student. i do not wish to waste my time anymore.

talk about bad timing? bad luck of events? sign of God not wanting me to go (having his own reason)? .. well i believe all of that. but i already set my heart and was prepared for it only to fail now. sigh. so, To the people i was suppose to meet there namely: Memnoch, Wellard, Earthdog (ed [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and the rest, sorry that i could not make it. (and i wanted to go sking and party too ). anyway, maybe just maybe i would be going for masters (after college) instead in australia. so just you wait guys, there may be some hope for me yet [img]smile.gif[/img] .

ps: there were some other incidents that also took place but they seemed minor as i only included the major stuff that happened.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-29-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sorry to hear that dude, i hope you have better luck in the future.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:59 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

That sounds like a pretty unlucky sequence of events buddy. I am sorry to hear that things didn't work out and you didn't get to come visit over here. Losing a year and a half to do that is rough, so maybe the postgrad thing is the way to go. What are you studyin dude - just out of curiousity?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

bummer... man... the feeling is just... i hope you get over it quick...

well that gives us more chances to meet and go out! hehehe

i really wish that it's going to push through SOON... maybe not at your time of choosing.. i just hope it happens...
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by davros:
------------------------------
That sounds like a pretty unlucky sequence of events buddy. I am sorry to hear that things didn't work out and you didn't get to come visit over here. Losing a year and a half to do that is rough, so maybe the postgrad thing is the way to go. What are you studyin dude - just out of curiousity?
well im taking up economics here (with business management and education: a special course actually) and over there in australia, i was suppose to take plain economics. im hopefully graduating here (if i change my course here in school to plain economics which im planing to do) ill be out in 1.5 years. if i continue to try to study in australia, i would back to first year and it would be a shame just to waste my last 3 years already spent here just to go over there. so better just try and finish it over here.. then post graduate hopefully..

Quote:
posted by bahamut:
---------------------
well that gives us more chances to meet and go out! hehehe
yeah! your still in vacation while im back in school already sigh.. anywayz... i hope to hear from you soon since ill be here for a while

also bumpin for memnoch, ED, and Wellard. hope they get to read this..

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-30-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Have I ever told you how much it bugs me to hear a grown man use the term 'dude'?

[ 05-30-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Sorry to hear about that, Harkoliar. I know how frustrating it can be when you're trying to get something accomplished in your life and are held back by buraucratic bs. I hope you do well in you last 1 1/2 years of college!!
Old 05-31-2003, 02:08 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry to hear that, buddy. It's your call, but for a visa to be unable to be processed due to people moving is the biggest load of BS I ever heard. So these embassy staff basically get a holiday while all this is happening?

It all depends on how badly you want to go, I guess. Doing a postgrad here is also worthwhile, but to fall at the final (bureaucratic) hurdle when everything's been approved just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth. It's not exactly easy to get student visas to OZ as well, it's a shame. Those two universities you got into are the two best ones in Sydney, and one of them (UTS) is the best business school in Australia.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:42 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm Sorry to hear that you will not be coming down Harkoliar. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] I was looking foreword to meeting you and the rest of the lads. As Memnoch hinted, it seems that they are a right set of lazy buggers in that embassy. My crewmate took a full year to get his wife and newborn child into Australia from the Philippines just last year. If your full story involves even a tenth of the heartache that he went through then you have my full sympathy.

But I think you are doing the right thing and hopefully we will see you later. And the skiing trip is still an option if you ever get enough money to visit. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Light Bulb

guess what?? you guys are never going to believe this.. there may be some hope for me afterall. the embassy just called TODAY regarding my visa (and my father with the embassys help was able to convince Uni Sydney to extend thier deadline of my tuition fee enrollment) and that my visa applicaiton has finally been approved. they just called today and now i just had my medical check-up, a step closer for the visa procession. i cant believe it, just a few days ago, i finally convinced myself to finish my studies here (actually classes just started last week) now im preparing to leave in nearly 3 weeks. the answer is not final though. i dont want my hopes to be too up until i see myself having that darn visa and im leaving. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

and right now im kinda confused. i just settled everything here and was getting comfortable then boom... there is and 50% wants me to go and 50% wants me to stay. i mean, after i just convinced myself its for the best to stay, then im suppose to leave. i find myself in a fork to two roads. im kinda lost. i guess the sudden information took me by surprise and hit me harder than i expected.

i also have some fears which i may not be able to cope over there. i hope you guys (memnoch & wellard) could help me adjust "very quickly" since when i arrive there, i would only have a couple of days before school starts which sucks. since it will also be my first time there. im also worried if i have the proper education to handle everything. this is a big step and frankly no macho can cover the fact im still scared to leaving my home to a bigger and wider world. (parties and bar-hopping is a good way to adjust j/k)

still im just saying the update, and i will post here for further updates. so dont put to much hopes yet but i guess this is the closest so far to go to australia. there may be a chance for me yet guys so wait for me

Catch me if you can..