Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-17-2003, 04:31 AM   #1
Vampire

Just got a Sony NX-70V and am really stuck on something. The Audio Player on this NX-70V is really crap and I want to know how to upgrade?

The N-770C have Audio Player 2.1 and that allows it go into the impressive fancy mode out of of 3.
However with the new Audio Player 3.5 version it won't.

I also don't understand what the difference between OS and Windows CE???

Which is better? Can I change?

Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 AM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

What's the difference between which OS and windows CE? As far as I'm aware there are 3 main OSs used on PDA's, Pocket PC 2002/2003, Windows CE and Palm OS. Which one do you have? If you have Pocket PC 2002 you can probably upgrade to 2003, I don't think you can change to a different OS though.

I wouldn't have bought a Sony as Sony always uses their proprietory memory sticks instead of sticking to the standards: the bastards! This is one of the many reasons why people hate microsoft - not sticking to standards, so Sony is annoying to do the same.

I have been thinking of getting a PDA for a while, but so far I haven't been able to justify it to myself. I mean it's cool, yeah, but that doesn't justify it, heh. I thought I could use it as an MP3 player but for the same price you can get a 512MB dedicated MP3 player which is much better. Then I thought I'd use it for contacts but I have my mobile phone for that, then I thought maybe for notes, but I've got my paper notebook for that So why did you get one, Av, just out of interest?

[ 10-17-2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-17-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

cuz it makes him look cool

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-17-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
cuz it makes him look cool
Really? All the people who have PDAs at my uni look like geeks [img]tongue.gif[/img] maybe it's cos they're computer scientists
Old 10-17-2003, 09:15 AM   #5
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
What's the difference between which OS and windows CE? As far as I'm aware there are 3 main OSs used on PDA's, Pocket PC 2002/2003, Windows CE and Palm OS. Which one do you have? If you have Pocket PC 2002 you can probably upgrade to 2003, I don't think you can change to a different OS though.

I wouldn't have bought a Sony as Sony always uses their proprietory memory sticks instead of sticking to the standards: the bastards! This is one of the many reasons why people hate microsoft - not sticking to standards, so Sony is annoying to do the same.

I have been thinking of getting a PDA for a while, but so far I haven't been able to justify it to myself. I mean it's cool, yeah, but that doesn't justify it, heh. I thought I could use it as an MP3 player but for the same price you can get a 512MB dedicated MP3 player which is much better. Then I thought I'd use it for contacts but I have my mobile phone for that, then I thought maybe for notes, but I've got my paper notebook for that So why did you get one, Av, just out of interest?
They're very very useful in the work place. Much easier to cart around from meeting to meeting than a planner and take up less space in the brief case then one.
Then again, I am a computer programmer, so I guess I fit the requirement in your other post, LOL [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well I can't really talk either, since I'm a computer engineer, if we base geekiness purely on chosen career path. In my earlier post I was basing it on physical appearance

I can see the usefulness of PDAs of course, if you want to take notes electronically, handwrite them and still be able to edit them electronically later. Also pocket spreadsheet programs can be useful etc., I would get one if they had ones with more RAM and better battery lifetime, cheaper.

[ 10-17-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 10-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, but my Blackberry doesn't have audio playback. Can't help ya.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Sorry, but my Blackberry doesn't have audio playback. Can't help ya.
Brand dropper!!!

Actually, there are some PDAs that you change the operating system on and there is another operating system out there. Linux is available for PDAs now and Sharp makes one that uses Linux, called the Zaurus 5500. I think they are coming out with one called the 5600 anytime now. Also you can change a HP IPAQ From a PC2002/3 to Linux. I assume you can do the same thing to a Toshiba or Dell since they also us the PC2002/3 operating system. When I bought my last PDA (IPAQ 3765) I almost purchased a Zaurus instead, but I was concerned that it wouldn't sync with my PC at home, since it was Windows based.

Personally, if I were to do it all over again, I'd either get the Zaurus or a Palm/Handspring. I think there is a lot more software (freeware and shareware) for them than there is for the PC2002/3 based PDAs.

BTW, I couldn't function without one now! A cellphone I can live without, but not a PDA!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I got a compaq iPAQ h3835 for christmas last year. I don't use it that much though...

BTW does anyone know some good freeware sites?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:15 PM   #10
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I've not found much freeware for a PC200/3 PDA. I've found lots for a palm device though!