Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-24-2003, 12:55 AM   #1
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Anyone ever ever been to one of those Renaissance Festival thingys? Me and my family are going to one sometime this spring, hopefully, Arpil I think? Not sure, its in Waxahatchie or however that is spelled, its in East Texas, near Dallas, well, not too far from it anyway.. My sisters are pretty pumped about going, they plan on dressing up for it and all that good stuff, but I am kinda iffy. Its strange, because usally I would be the one excited about going to something like that, I am sure it will be fun, but I am just not quivering in excitement about it.

Well at any rate, any IWers ever been to one?
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-24-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

The closest I've ever come to a Renaissance festival is falling asleep on the couch, drunk off my face, while watching 'painters of sixteenth century Italy' on Discovery Channel. Sounds like fun though, hope you have a good time, GR [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Well we don't have them in the UK, but it always sounded like good fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself! Just throw yourself into the spirit of the thing [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
MagiK

I go to them all the time! Maryland has one of the best and longest in the country, Starts at the end of August and runs through the end of October (can you say Oktoberfest?). One of my best friends knitted himself a Chainmail shirt [img]smile.gif[/img] of course he did it out of 12gauge Galvanized steel and it weighs 70 pounds. He is working on an aluminum shirt right now, should weigh a more mangeable 20 pounds.

There are a lot of shows and things to see at the maryland fest. Jousting, and sword fights, whip demo's and glass blowing. There are any number of stage acts, Some of the best are, "Puke N Snot" "Whip Flash", "Shakespere's skum" and on and on, some of them are completely hilarious.

I like to watch the Glass blower (latent pyromaniac here) and the metal smiths.

[ 01-24-2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 01-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh IR , you will have a great time! I love Renn faires! We have one out my way (well a bit of a drive really but worth it!) where the actors are professionals and they basically go about all day IN character and garb.... and then there are shows by various people, food (not very medieval, but fun! LOL) and vendors with everything from hand carved wooden swords to jewelry and handmade glass. There are exhibits and artisans showing off their crafts... I love watching the blacksmiths and glass blowers do their thing and then there are the skits, period dances...Well, I could go on for a long time! LOL

Enjoy yourself!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

They're a blast! I want to go to a civil war based fair one of these days too. I hear they have them down south.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

We have one every year an hour or two away in Sterling, NY that is great. I've gone several times. The first time I went was right after High School with my best friend. One of the rouges held me captive with a carrot and told my friend that if he sang they'd let me go. He didn't sing! LOL
Anyway, the shows are great, the games are so much more fun than anything at modern carnivals, and the food is excellent. You'll love it, I'm sure!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #8
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

They are great. I go every year in Omaha. They have a stage act called the Tortuga Twins...very, very funny. Not to mention all the great stalls and demonstrations.
Jousting is very cool.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

These Renn fests in NY wouldn't be near Oswego would they? There was one about 1.5 hrs from Syracuse, NY, that was HUGE. I loved it. Then, I move out to Chicago and it's sister Renn fest is only an hour away. Fun stuff.

Sometimes, they won't let me wear my swords in though.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

The Stirling Renaissance Festival is the one I go to. Yes, TL it is the one near Oswego! It's near the State Park on the Great Lakes too. I went with Nacht last summer and we really enjoyed it, despite the heat and humidity!