Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

I used to sleepwalk, but don't do it much these days. My mum once heard noises in my room and came to see if I was alright - and found me rearranging my furniture while asleep!! She suggested I didn't need to reorganise right now and I went back to bed.

It's not damaging as such to wake up a sleepwalker, but it can be very disorientating and disturbing for them so best not to unless they are doing something dangerous like trying to cross a road. You can normally convince someone to go back to bed since it is the subconscious mind in operation which is open to suggestions like that.

I was interested by this bit:

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:

Then when I was 14 I'd "half" SleepWalk. I'd wake up like a half hour after I went to bed, after a night of partying with friends (no, no drugs or booze associated LOL, I was 14), and would be convinced this guy was in my room. I'd be telling him outloud "you gotta go you can't be here, my parents will wake up, go home!" standing up beside my bed too, yelling this out LOL till my parents got up and said "who are you talking to?", then I'd really wake up and come to my senses, and had absolutely no answer for them. I would just climb back into bed, then they'd figure it out and leave and go back to bed themselves LOL.

LZ, what you describe is a night terror. Quite common in children and teens, and often triggered by alcohol and drugs in older people. Most people grow out of them but 1% of adults (myself included) suffer from them. It's not the same as a dream or sleepwalking, which occur during the REM part of the sleep cycle, instead they begin within 30-60 minutes of falling asleep.

Although called a night terror they are not always frightening, although they often are terrifying. It is more like a hallucination than a dream, and imagining (and talking to) people in your room is a very common manifestation. It's almost always very confusing for the person having the NT and any witnesses - because it seems real but once it is over you have little memory of it (usually only what the witness tells you they saw you doing) and you really can't remember what you were doing or saying only seconds beforehand. You often try to explain what you were doing, or who you were talking to, but instead you talk a load of disjointed nonsense that seems to make sense until you are fully awake - and it's at that point that you realise you're talking nonsense!

Hope that helps explain the people in your room scenario!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:00 PM   #12
andrewas
Harper

Once only. I was 13, after watching Pet Cemetery II at 2am, after 48 hours without sleep, and not entirely sober either. Other than that, not a thing.

My brother talks in his sleep, and since hes monolingual (unless you count HTML and BASIC) its sometimes profitable to listen in, specialy since he talks whats on his mind (IE secrets)
Old 10-11-2002, 12:01 PM   #13
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I've only sleep-walked ONCE... and that was 3 weeks ago... I got up... turned on the shower, went back into bed and assumed what had just happened was a dream... Then about 2 or 3 hours later... I step out of bed and into a POOL
-__-

True story! Unfortunetly >_> thank goodness for the WONDER MOP! that sucker can absorb a whole barrely-full of water [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 01:00 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i did it at least one time and this story is so silly i couldn't believe it myself when i got told what i did. In my dream i was walking to the toilet because i needed to go (doh). In reality i got up out of my bed, walked to the other side where my girlfriend was sleeping, and started peeing all over her, dreaming that i was standing in front of the toiletbowl. Then i walked back to my side of the bed, crawled back under the covers and continued sleeping. I never knew i did that. My girlfriend must have been yelling at me, but i never heard that. She took a shower and went sleeping in one of the guestrooms. The next morning i woke up, still not knowing what i did. I went downstairs and said "goodmorning babe, you woke up early didn't you ?". Then she started cursing me out and eventually she told me what i did the night before. I couldn't believe i did that, but i laughed my ass off nonetheless.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:19 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

EEEEEEEEEEW! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] I dunno, johhny, I think your gf let you off easy! I'd have made you do the laundry for weeks after that!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:19 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

EEEEEEEEEEW! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] I dunno, johhny, I think your gf let you off easy! I'd have made you do the laundry for weeks after that!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:24 PM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Really Cloudy ? Are you THAT mean ? Note that i didn't know what i did. I know she must have been outrageous, but i never realised that, i just went right back to sleep. As far as i know i never sleepwalked in my life, that's the only time. But i think THIS was enough for one lifetime.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:27 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Really Cloudy ? Are you THAT mean ? Note that i didn't know what i did. I know she must have been outrageous, but i never realised that, i just went right back to sleep. As far as i know i never sleepwalked in my life, that's the only time. But i think THIS was enough for one lifetime. [/QUOTE]Well, I think maybe I'd have been miffed for a while then laughed at the whole thing til I fell off a chair!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #19
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Double post, cloudy [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I went sleepwalking once and ONLY once...I fell down the stairs and was in hospital. Luckily I broke nothing. Except maybe a vase. *cough*
i sleepTALK regularly though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 06:14 PM   #20
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Wow getting some interesting, and frankly, hilarious responses to this thread!

Leonis - LOL, if someone did that next to me it would probably freak me out, I'd yell out too, just cause, even though I wouldn't know why!

Moni - Dang I've never been that dehydrated before where my kidneys actually hurt, no wonder you were begging for water in your sleep! Agua Agua!

Lord Starshadow - Maybe you are growing out of it, like a lot of people do, and are down to just whispering now

Larry - That is hilarious! Can't believe nobody noticed her sleepwalking and she was able to walk about so much and so far!! And people thought she was a ghost ROTFL!!!

Cloudy - Nope that doesn't count! I do that almost routinely myself LOL!

Ronn - Oh man glad you wake up right after finding the car keys (must be the jingling sound)! You definitely shouldn't be sleep driving!

Epona - Yes that sounds mostly like what happened to me back then. Not really terror, but definitely distress and hallucinations, although I never actually *saw* anyone, just was convinced someone was there with me. I remember the entire thing too, like I remember a dream, and remember feeling totally embarrassed when my parents' voices woke me up and I realized what I was doing LOL. It only happened to me twice I think, and one other time where I never got out of bed, but woke up yelling "Who's in here?!" over and over again until my mom would open my door and say "The cat is in there with you" LOL, again the embarrassment, then back to sleep!

Andrewas - So what happened? What did you do when sleepwalking? Try to go outside and dig up something LOL?

/)eathkiller - That's an odd one, maybe your mind thought it was morning and you went about your routine, i.e., taking a shower, but your mind got fuzzy after turning on the shower (which I'd imagine would be natural since you are asleep) and you went back to bed. Good thing you don't have carpet!

Johnny - Yuck LOL. That kind of thing deserves payback in kind LOL! Well at least you were sleepwalking and not just drunk. I've known a few instances where dudes get drunk and are too wasted to go all the way to the bathroom, so just pick a corner or a potted plant to pee in (or in the worst case scenario, in da pants) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Kaltia - Ack, glad you were OK, and also glad that you only sleptwalked once so most likely you won't do it again, that had to have been scary!

Reality Show Recaps