Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2002, 02:12 PM   #41
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
[QB]

Well, Anglophile is fine, but that is not IMHO a good example of English culture, and it saddens me that people see songs like that as coming from the same culture as Shakespeare!

[img]smile.gif[/img] Epona, it's not supposed even to be English. As Donut says, an American, Roger Miller, wrote it, as an appreciation of England. Next time, I'll hum the Messiah. As for Sean Connery, Donut, he'll have to take my Anglophile adoration and like it. Anyway, we have a reproduction of Lady Butler's "Scotland Forever" hanging in our den, just like his tattoo. Right opposite "Wellington at Waterloo."

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Galadria1 ]

Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #42
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:
okay .....really pissed off madman here.....not ina while have i seen such a display of ignorance arrogace and idiocy i aint gonna say ay names cos i dont wanta fight but come on!

FIRSTLY - there is more to the UNITED (< keyword) KINGDOM than just england .
- There is much beauty and good shit in the country

- i am hardly a fan of the monarchy but tourism.! ill continue later but ANGRY

Oh I agree with your point about the UK. But since we were *dissing* the UK I didn't feel comfortable including Scotland, Wales, NI - because I don't like saying nasty things about other countries - whereas I am quite happy to be mean about the English, since I am one.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:13 PM   #43
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
okay .....really pissed off madman here.....not ina while have i seen such a display of ignorance arrogace and idiocy i aint gonna say ay names cos i dont wanta fight but come on!

Uh Madman.... ever heard of the expression 'tongue-in-cheek'?
Old 01-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #44
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

quote:

See England is the reason to hate the UK, Soctland and Wales are just great.

As for all this talk about the Monarchy they aren't all bad, sure they suck up our hard earned money, hunt and kill cute innocent little foxes, [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img] go abroad and manage to insult pretty much everyone......but if they didn't exist who would the tabloids write about and let not forget their charity work.

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:

Gabriel, I agree with all of yours except for the too hot one. Where do you live....

Don't want to say where I live there might be a Wimbildom FC fan about I live in Milton Keynes, 50-odd km north of London and in august it gets to hot here for me .
Old 01-30-2002, 06:26 AM   #45
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Galadria1:

[img]smile.gif[/img] Epona, it's not supposed even to be English. As Donut says, an American, Roger Miller, wrote it, as an appreciation of England.

OK, I was having a 'thick' day yesterday! But the reason I don't like the song is still relevant - it is not an appreciation of England, it is twee and a mockery! Bobbies on bicycles 2 by 2?? Bobbies beating people up in the back of Stoke Newington nick then selling drugs cut with fingerprinting powder more like. Oops, did I say that?

BTW, just to clarify, I think this thread is great fun - I'm not worked up about any of this, least of all a daft song, and I'm certainly not in the least bit patriotic [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2002, 06:30 AM   #46
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:

I live in Milton Keynes, 50-odd km north of London and in august it gets to hot here for me .

Gabe, I was once told that Milton Keynes was the only town in Britain where you couldn't sit your driving test - because all the roundabouts mean that there isn't enough variation and a lack of potential dangerous situations! Is that true, or was my leg being pulled? There certainly are a lot of roundabouts though, one wrong turn and you find yourself driving around the outskirts for the next 50 years ...
Old 01-30-2002, 08:23 AM   #47
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

quote:

OK, I was having a 'thick' day yesterday! But the reason I don't like the song is still relevant - it is not an appreciation of England, it is twee and a mockery! Bobbies on bicycles 2 by 2?? Bobbies beating people up in the back of Stoke Newington nick then selling drugs cut with fingerprinting powder more like. Oops, did I say that?
[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I know, Epona, if you are living in it , it doesn't seem so quaint, does it? Texas is like that, too. Roger Miller was (is?) twee and rather daft. That was what made his songs different. Have you ever heard "King of the Road?" I'm sure a real hobo would have a thing or two to say about it. But "England Swings" was, emotionally, an accurate picture of how a first time visitor to London perceives it. Plus, the catchy tune. That was probably why I was humming it, and why the Friends producers used it in "The one about Ross' Wedding."
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-30-2002, 08:32 AM   #48
Epona
Zartan

quote:

I know, Epona, if you are living in it , it doesn't seem so quaint, does it? Texas is like that, too. Roger Miller was (is?) twee and rather daft. That was what made his songs different. Have you ever heard "King of the Road?" I'm sure a real hobo would have a thing or two to say about it. But "England Swings" was, emotionally, an accurate picture of how a first time visitor to London perceives it. Plus, the catchy tune. That was probably why I was humming it, and why the Friends producers used it in "The one about Ross' Wedding."

Yes, I am unfortunately familiar with "King of the Road". You know what though? I've had "England Swings" running through my head ever since I first looked in this thread! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH - send for the padded van and men in white coats to come and get me now, before it's too late!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #49
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

quote:

Yes, I am unfortunately familiar with "King of the Road". You know what though? I've had "England Swings" running through my head ever since I first looked in this thread! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH - send for the padded van and men in white coats to come and get me now, before it's too late!

LOL. Sorry about that. I hate it when that happens. I have been reading In pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George, (an American, naturally)which seems to describe the UK that you are actually living in. I prefer to think of you all lolling about a stately manor inhabited by P.G. Wodehouse types, or, failing that, following Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy around the countryside. (sigh)
Old 01-30-2002, 08:50 AM   #50
Epona
Zartan

quote:

LOL. Sorry about that. I hate it when that happens. I have been reading In pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George, (an American, naturally)which seems to describe the UK that you are actually living in. I prefer to think of you all lolling about a stately manor inhabited by P.G. Wodehouse types, or, failing that, following Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy around the countryside. (sigh)

Oh if only! Jeeves, could you fetch afternoon tea?