Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-26-2001, 09:50 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

When I quit my job as an on-site coordinator at Golden Personnel, before I got my job in the mail-room of Triad Guarantee Ins...I worked at a Chevrelet car dealership.
I knew nothing about cars, though I ended up with a record high of 5 cars in one month, more than any other newcomer to the business.(what can I say, I am a natural), ...
So anyway, the manager told me to sell a car, I had to know the cars...So, I had the permission to test drive every car that I wanted to. Blazers, Explorers, Cadillacs, and the 2001 corvette convertable! Man!!!!
I still remember the feel of going down the road in that ...I was thinking...this is but a very fast, expensive toy! I would get killed in something like this!
The 'Vette was able to speak 4 languages, and had 3 memory sets in the seat. I will never have another chance like that, so I cherish those memories...

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF
Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:54 PM   #2
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

Never a Corvette, but I drove a Pantera once. It belonged to a veterinarian I was working for. A very quick and nimble piece of machinary. Responsive on the curve.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:56 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pBluescript:
Never a Corvette, but I drove a Pantera once. It belonged to a veterinarian I was working for. A very quick and nimble piece of machinary. Responsive on the curve.
The best feel of curve hanging I ever enjoyed was in a Firebird.('99 model)....but I don't know how to compare that to a Pantera.

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF
Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:12 PM   #4
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

Yah, I wouldn't know how to compare it either Larry. But I do know what you mena about curve hanging. Hand gripped to the shifter, foot poised right above the clutch, waiting for that exact correct moment to shift into third gear and power your way out of a curve. It is summertime. The sun has gone down, yet there is plenty of light to see by. The smell of fresh cut hay in the fields, music playing. Knowing there are more dips, curves and straightaways ahead in the road.

*thinks of Rush and Red Barchetta.*
Old 10-26-2001, 10:14 PM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

The best ride that I had was in an Acura NSX. It out did a Porche 911. I was doing
Security work at Reeve's in Tampa. They sell expensive cars only. Well any way,
The Acura was quick and very responsive and the seats would fit you like
a glove. It was like being in cospit of a jet fighter only not as cramped.
The smell of leather and purring hum of the engine was almost an overload of the
sense's.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Advisor to the Lady Lioness for Kitchen raid's and such...
Old 10-26-2001, 10:40 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I used to work at a car lot...I was drivin a corvette to the shop on the lot
and while i was backin it up i locked bumpers with a pony. I got in shit.

Old 10-26-2001, 11:03 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

The president of my company has a Viper Venom. I rode with him once on the way to a lunch and it blew my mind. I thought I was going to die. It was so funny to see because the president is this mild mannered 55 year old guy, but when you get him behind the wheel of that thing - he was a madman!

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 10-26-2001, 11:13 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been in a '95 limited edition Mustang Cobra. The salesman thought he would show off. When I got home, I needed to wash off! Lol!!
Old 10-26-2001, 11:15 PM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

I have a cousin who lives in Southern California. He own 2 Porsche's, a 911 and a 911E(its a bit bigger ;luxury' model). I got to drive the E out in the desert. Straight, flat, and nothing for MILES. I'd never had a car up to 180MPH before, and it was the most exciting/terrifying/awesome experience of my life! You'd twitch the wheel a quarter inch and the car would almost leap sideways. Then, we went back to the coast and drove down the Pacific Coast Highway. Nice, curvy road, overlooking the pacific. And all that POWER at my command. It was the best car experience I've ever had.

FYI: If you want an idea of what the coast highway is like, watch Austin Powers II. When he and Felicity are driving on the coast early in the movie and he says "Notice how England looks, in no way, like Southern California." That's about 30 miles north of LA. Beautiful country.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 10-27-2001, 03:31 AM   #10
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

I've driven lots of sweet cars. We build classic cars and cruise or take them to the strip. A '65 and a '67 chevelle, '69 Camaro, 38 Chevy, '46 Ford...
Driven several vettes, they're all a blast as long as there aren't a lot of pot holes on the road. The craziest car I've ever driven is one of my friends' Beretta professional drag car. He had that thing rigged with a ton of computer controls so he wouldn't break out (go faster than the time he wrote in) on the strip. He let me run it once as just a practice run...7.36 seconds for the quarter mile. It was awesome. The craziest ride me and my buddies ever built was an '84 CJ-7 Jeep for mug bog competitions. We were putting a new engine with a blower into the Chevelle, so we took it's 650 horse 383 stroker out, changed the intake and cam for a little more bottom end, and crammed it in the Jeep. put 35" mud tires on it and a quick detach anti-sway bar on the front so we could race in it too. Gave it locking differentials, the works. They made us run in a larger tire size than what we had because our engine was so radical, so we never won, but we always did well. And we could outrun a mustang Gt, and pull wheelies Last summer we blew the top off of a piston though so we'll have to build a new motor this summer.
And for my best curvy road memories so far...A ZX-11 Ninja, very roomy and comfortable, mild mannered if you're easy on the throttle, but open it up in the twisties and you're transported to another world .
Ok, enough of my gearhead ramblings. Sorry to go on so long, it's a passion hehe.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon