Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-04-2001, 11:57 AM   #1
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Does anyone know of a way to kill the Iron Golem in de'Arnise Hold. I'm betting he's worth a whole bunch of XP that I want.
All the other golems there are toast already.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:42 PM   #2
Paxsenarrion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Those big shiny bastards are tough, but there are a few tools that'll whittle 'em down.

A) Melf's Minute Meteors. If you can outfit one of your mage types with this and keep them at a distance (I don't remember if the golem will fit through the door... you might be able to lure him there and stand in the hallway) these will do the trick.

B) The Staff of Striking (all golems must save vs. death or be destroyed)

C) If you've rescued Trademeet, you can purchase Tasheron's Bow +3 there which fires unlimited "Phantom Arrows". These work nicely as well.

Also, have clerics cast Holy Smite on him, and try out different magical weapons with your front liners. A, B, and C will all be invaluable for golem battles in the future (this will by NO means be the last you've seen of the buggers) so make sure you pick them up whenever you can.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2001, 12:45 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Move everybody into Nalia's aunt's room, and send one person to agitate the Iron Golem. The Iron Golem will charge you, but cannot go through the door, proceed to poke it with a Quarterstaff or Two-Handed Sword or Spear or Halberd.

Mages can assist with Melf's Minute Meteors also.

You may want to stock up on Poison Protection too.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:49 PM   #4
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

It takes a +3 or better weapon to affect iron golems. Melf's Minute Meteors also works. A strategy spoiler follows...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

The golem is too big to fit through the door, so if you have any ranged weapons that can affect him, like Tansheron's Bow, the Sling of Everard, or the MMM spell, or a +3 weapon with a long enough reach, like Lilarcor, you can get him to charge the doorway and kill him without his being able to affect you.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:53 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

don't forget the flail of ages found in the same keep, just whack him a few times from the doorway and have your healers in back to save your tank's butt
Old 11-05-2001, 09:50 PM   #6
JackOfClubs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cloudkill also works if you can get him to stand inside the area of effect. Try casting it near the doorway...