Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2004, 02:04 AM   #11
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Ok, i agree that 5 mins may be too little, so i switch it to 10. The first post would be therefore modified.

Edit: timeset in this post had been deleted. Look at the first post for an explanation.

[ 07-08-2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Black Baron ]

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I've been watching the chess threads with vivid interest, so you can definitely count me in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bailsofdoom is my yahoo name.

Although it may be difficult time-wise, I'm often nigh-owling around, so a quick email, PM or post here could do the trick. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hope we get some more players.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #13
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Bleh; What time was it for you when you posted your last message, Baron?

The reason why it's a bit early for some of us is if we live in the US/Canada region, it's often 3-5 hours behind GMT time. Which means that no one will be up from 5-7 AM in the morning, especially on a saturday.

Yes, I can make it at that time. Count me in. goldrush945 will be my nick on yahoo. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Be prepared to deliver the whooping of your life on me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Another option for the time would be, I suppose, to just give a limit of 2-3 of a days for everyone to find each other on yahoo. We can coordinate a bit. Post all of the results (everyone must save the game, losers included, so that we don't lose the notations) in this thread. It's much easier on those on practically the other side of the world.

And about the ranking: Why not just do it the good ole fashioned style? 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss. The one who gets the most points wins.

[ 07-05-2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #14
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

About ranking: The system was set only to determine the rank between the players that have the same amount of points. For other rank determination, we will naturally use the point system- 1 for victory 1/2 for draw and 0 for loss.

Assassin, as you have seen i have removed the timetable for 15 hours GMT, that will mean that you will play from 9-10 in the morning, your local time.

Ofcourse if someone wants to participate and cannot due to his time location he can certainly seek out the partner within 48 hours of the scheduled play.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Now, another question: Who chooses what color?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #16
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

That is why we need a referee, preferably not me since that i play. [img]graemlins/choc.gif[/img] where are you when needed? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I personaly do not mind which colour will i get, but others may be more "choosy" (that does not imply anything about their skills. My chess teacher always preferred the black clour for example, and he plays much better than i will ever do.) We will simply flip a coin (we will deside what our "coin side" is and our preferences, and the referee will flip it and tell us what colour we are.) Naturally the second round and all the rounds afterwards the players switch the colours automatically. i think now of making 8 rounds, so every one will have 4 games with white and 4 with black.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #17
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

You... Have... A... Chess... Teacher. Dear god. Yep, I don't stand a chance. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Well, we're going to need some more players before we decide on brackets. How about if the players try to sort it out themselves, but if both players want white, for example, then we go with the lowest rated player? It's just for the first round, of course.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #18
Keal

Man, I love playing chess, but I've got AOL, good luck Jaradu.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #19
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

I had a chess teacher. I did not see him for 4 years and 99% of the training is gone. What is left pops out sometimes, but more often than not i simply rely on my intuition and the ability to step out from the known opening into debris that while incorrect needs to be calculated while playing. Sometimes i calculate better, usually not. If you only saw my stupid mistakes in my recent games, you would have said-I can play better than stupid BB.

About the choosing-It is fine by me, if the players decide by themselves. As long as the referee will be notified ofcourse.

I think that we will have more players now when i moved the times a bit forward. I expect at least 3 more people to join, if they will read the thread again. From 14000+ members we can expect 10 more to drop in.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #20
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Keal:
good luck Jaradu.
Wow, my own fan club [img]tongue.gif[/img] ! Hehe, thanks Keal [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

But, seeing as I'm the worst chess player, I think that pigs will fly through a frozen hell before I win a match [img]smile.gif[/img]