Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2001, 03:56 PM   #1
Tuor
Elminster

I've have just suffered the biggest disaster ever playing BG2, virtually the whole of a 13th level party has been wiped out by vampires and I didn't really do anything particularly wrong damit.

BTW this is a minor spoiler for the Windspear Hills quest so go away now if you don't want to know about it, thanks.

My Party an undead hunter 12th level, a 14th level bard, a 12th level pure ranger, a 12th level mage, a 13th level cleric and a 14th level thief. They are all quite handy and I have a good selection of +3 weapons and magical gear which I thought would serve me well in the Windspear Hills. Wrong

Anyway I kill the paladins in disguise, lose the ex noble's ward and sleep to recover my spells then head off to kick Firkaags arse. Ease through all the encounters until I enter the keep proper, don't fire off too many spells, wands or arrows because I know there is a big room full of about 20 vampires on the right hand side of the map.

Prepare by casting negative plane protection on my ranger and my cleric plus haste and so on to bolster my party's defences use my undead hunter-immune to level drain, and the ranger to block the door so the vamps can't get out and my characters don't get level drained.

Door opens-there are the 20 or so vamps they charge I block the door, the mage, thief and bard start firing various spells, arrows and sling bullets at the vamps while my undead hunter and ranger start hacking away at them.

THEN one of the crafty vampires dominates my paladin who turns round and critically hits my ranger TWICE for 70 odd damage (ow) and thoughtfully moves leaving enough space for vampires to get through to the characters behind my front two fighters.

I try to move my cleric-who is also protected against level drain, to prevent this happening but while I'm doing this the paladin finishes off my ranger (He is an excellent fighter you see, and the ranger's AC was only about -4) and starts on my cleric, bugger.

I now have six exceedingly pissed off vampires and a paladin who isn't being terribly helpful to my cause up against a cleric, a thief, a mage and a bard three of which lose levels if they get hit by vampires and of course the only character who can safely fight vamps is my cleric currently trying to escape my undead hunter and surrounded by vampires.

Goody

My bard managed to hammer one vampire without being drained at all (lucky) my mage lost all 12 levels from level drain when she was attacked by three vampires, my thief died completely of level drain but took one with him and my paladin slew my cleric at about the same time my bard died trying to distract the three vampires chewing on my mage.(who used her contingency spells and all her other defensive spells up in a short but hopelessly unequal fight.)

The undead hunters domination ended when he was conveniently surrounded by about nine vampires and stranded on 45 hit points.

My undead hunter hacked his way clear (now on 13 hit points) and ran away down the corridor to heal up with extra healing potions (no more healing left now) but I can't resurrect any other characters because their gear is in a corridor full of very angry vampires and my paladin's gonna get creamed going in.

I've saved the game where I am and I'm going to have another go later-with the undead hunter bravely saving the day after nearly ruining it (he is my main character). There is got a rod of resurrection on one of the corpses (The ranger's I think) so I'll try and get to that and bring some buddies back to life. Failing that I'll try again I guess.

The most annoying thing was I didn't do anything massively wrong (it was on hard level) it's just bad, bad luck and all came down to one lousy spell.

Old 07-16-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

one word: Daystar

That was pretty unlucky though, partly why i try to ensure everyone has greenstone amulets, or Licahor and other stuff for the mind defences.

------------------
Old 07-16-2001, 04:14 PM   #3
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Greenstone Amulets
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER
CHEESY SPOILER

Cast Mordekainens sword and then pickpocket it for a Greenstone Amulet. Memorize 6 of them, cast and rob to cover the whole party.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:23 PM   #4
Tuor
Elminster

I don't do cheesy spoilers but thanks for the tip guys.

I do however seem to get myself in tight spots.

What's a green stone amulet by the way???
Old 07-16-2001, 04:38 PM   #5
Unknown Origin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So I take it you never bought any of the Protection from Undead scrolls found in just about every temple in the game?

I sent in Craftidius and Minsc with Prot Undead and it was nothin.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:57 PM   #6
ScottG
Drow Warrior

A MUCH easier method:

Have one person that can use the ammulate of power and Azuredge (pink axe - only good-align char.s)

Move the rest of the party down the hall out of range

Have the person above go in and KILL, KILL, KILL. (yeah you will be dire charmed a couple of times but this is OK - they won't be hurting you when your charmed, when snap out of it KILL.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:10 PM   #7
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

Another way to do this- yes i recommend someone eqipped with azuredge and the amulet (or having negative plane protection) to PULL out one at a time-- if more than one come, have anomen, viconia or even aeirie TURNING undead-- this will make it easy to concentrate on just one monster at a time. It will also kill outright any ghasts or whatever else is in these besides vampires so you have one less thing to worry about.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:19 PM   #8
Seid
Manshoon

I think the best items against undead are mace of disruption and helm of brilliance (can cast sunray and fireball once a day).

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:19 PM   #9
Unknown Origin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another method that I used (before I learned the power of Protection from Undead scrolls) was to use a hidden in shadows character and sneak up JUST until you see one or 2 monster figures in the room, keeping the rest of them obscured because you are too far away, then fire on them and run (if you stay the whole room ends up coming after you instead of the one or 2 monsters you shot at), athe moster you shot at will chase you, but you can lead them around the entrace (where it is a "T" ) and then they walk into an ambush and your party cleans them up. You can repeat this process until the main room is more manageable. The key is, is to not just barge in there, but to play the assasin and isolate them ione or 2 at a time. I use this tactic when soloing a lot. If you have the boots of speed you can usually nail the Vampire a couple shots, then run around the corner and your party finishes them off.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Welcome Unkown & Seid!

I typically employ Unknown's suggestion in addition to my own.

Sorry Seid but I most def. disagree - Azuredge is easily the best undead killing wepon in the game (mace,helm,daystar - all crap by comparison).