Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2001, 11:12 PM   #1
mattbret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished the temple finally!!! Thanks for all you guys help! Now i am trying to go to shurugeon castle, i got there once but was killed, those plants destroy me everytime i get near it, any advice would be greatly apprecited, those dam plants!!!!!!!!
mattbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 11:24 PM   #2
Jason Leonard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Simple. Here are my tips:

A) Only go to the castle in the daytime.
B) Travel slowly and be on the lookout for the plants (Amazoni mantraps)
C) The second you think you see something that even REMOTELY resembles one, stop moving. Move the cursor around and see if the suspicious object turns out to be a target. If it does, and it says "Amazoni Mantrap", you've found one. DON'T TOUCH YOUR MOVEMENT CONTROLS.
D) See if you can tell whether or not it's moving. If it's moving, chances are it will be in your direction so you should run like hell and come back later. If it's not moving, or moving away from you, then ready all your spells and long distance attacks, and blast it to pieces. As long as you have enough distance from the mantrap, it will never see you, it will never respond, just sit there and take the damage.
E) Explore the whole castle area like this to take out all of them you can find. They WON'T regenerate or re-appear in the future. But there are about 4 of them I think. At least they never have re-appeared for me. But don't be relieved just yet - these are the first monsters of this kind in the game, but not the last. I should point out that these are the 2nd most powerful, but you will still face other similar creatures in the near future. The MOST powerful, that I've run into up to Brimloch Roon - are the bastards in the Boogre caves. But you will still run into weaker cousins of these types of monsters in Dragon's Spire and the area near the Boogre caves. Plus probably elsewheres in the game I don't know about yet. DW Bradley seems to love these damn things.
Jason Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 04:51 AM   #3
aestra
Dungeon Master

There are numerous threads on how to deal with these monstrosities. I personally use Jason's method as well. As long as you see them in a distance, you can drop a spell and back off till they're beyond visible range. Durations spells work best, particularly from the sun realm. Think burning haze. Meteor storm works great too. Drop, burn, retreat, mantrap dies. Forward, find next one, drop, burn, retreat, mantrap dies... repeat as necessary.
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 11:07 AM   #4
oxia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The first time around my party was annihilated and even worse, those nasty critters followed me.

After a reload I was very lucky; I had trapped them in the forest part, they couldn't get through the corridor and my Wizards/Warlocks burned them with Burning Haze and Flame Drop.

Later in the game you might meet Jungle Lily's and they equal to to Ice/Fire/Meteor Storm routine.
oxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:09 PM   #5
Jazzid
Manshoon

Hope that you've made cole-slaw out of those plant by now!!!
//Jazzid
Old 12-06-2001, 01:22 PM   #6
Hector the Bold
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi...

I got lucky...

In a nutshell... Yes, go there in the daytime. It's the only way to see them in any kind of time.
And "B"... *Pssst!* ...as you travel past the burned out house, stay to the right and you'll see an narrow path to the north (I think it was). Stick your nose in just enough to get the Mantraps to 'see' you and give chase, then get out of there, run south just far enough to stay out of their range (they get stuck in the narrow passage).
...Flamedrop, Haze, ...almost any Sun spell works, and any other 'distance' spells (all my arrows burned up ).

That won't help on the rest of them you'll run into, but it made me breathe easier for awhile (...then there's those little puff-ball a.... well, YOU know what they look like when you meet them....
Old 12-07-2001, 09:33 AM   #7
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

two methods work very well :

I prefer to Meteorstorm / Rain of Fire these two spells should do the trick. Run like hell to shurugeon castle, solve the Samurai and the Ninja quest. Stand atop the guard tower and wait. Once you see them (unimportant if night or day, although day is easier) - blast em. (Casting MetStorm/FireRain twice should be sufficient to kill on, sometimes both killerplants)

Remove all party members but one. i usually take my samurai. run towards the Beast and beat it to death (if you have high agility it won't be able to retaliate = FUN)

cu
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote