Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
NobleNick
Quintesson

Sorry to hear of your pain.

I have been bruised into the habit of saving about every 15 minutes; and I save to a new game name about every hour or so (especially save immediately before entering a new level for the first time {wagon wheel or door entry symbol} and to a NEW game name immediately after entering). --> It saves tons of heartache.

On War Chant: I think it is an excellent battle song; but it could be that your playing style would make the Ballad of 3 Heros a better choice during combat. However, there is no denying that the healing aspect of the Chant enables your party to enter every fight at full health, with no sleep and no help fom the Cleric. That means your Cleric can carry more buffs and such, instead of lugging around a full inventory of healing spells. That is an excellent advantage, and one that will cut down dramatically on your party's sleep-overs.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-07-2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

I will admit that it helped me tremendously during DE 4 since you cant rest and even though I havnt got any clerics yet (as you know)I can defiantly see your point. I was actually referring to in the heat of battle, since i find it to boring to try and select all of my fighters to attack without clicking on the bard and causing her stop singing.

It was terribly annoying having to start again but I am know further on than i was on my first game having just entered DE 5. during the entire re run the only level up was my bard so it wasnt as much cheese as I thought it would be.

Whats really annoying me is the lack of a thief. in DE 3 i kept having to reload as my characters were getting diseased and i didnt have any potions to cure them. Also theres all the locked containers that even my STR 18/98 fighter cant break.

Fighters - 9
Bard - 11
Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

The locked containers can all be opened by a Knock spell. The only thief skills that can't be properly duplicated by spells are Find/Remove Traps - although Detect Traps finds traps on the floor, and single-use traps can be disarmed by walking over them with Mirror Image.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

at the end of DE 5 the traps arnt just single charge are they so that doesnt apply there does it, or am I wrong?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

MAJOR SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
well i defeated yxinom...i cant spell it. I found it suprisingly easy as i normally have trouble with that battle. I had one of my fighters fire arrows +2 at her while eveyone else shot at the yaun-ti, she didnt hit or even get a spell of!. my 3rd fighter got dire charmed and caused more damage than anyone else but after the battle was finished I carefully ran away and waited for the charm to wear off. The only loss was that of my bard about 30 seconds into the fight but ive just managed to crawl back to Kuldahar and fight my way through the marauders to get to the temple and eveyones ok now. apart from the fact that they have like 3 hp each but i should be able to get to the inn.

Noble Nick i have to conceed that WCotS is a tad more useful in the heat of battle than i first thought, in the fight with said boss it helped alot to keep the enemies arrows away while i was dishing out pain to the snake woman... still has far to go yet though.

fighters-9
bard-11
Old 10-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by lost prophet:
...even though I havnt got any clerics yet...I find it to boring to try and select all of my fighters to attack without clicking on the bard and causing her stop singing.... Whats really annoying me is the lack of a thief. in DE 3 i kept having to reload as my characters were getting diseased and i didnt have any potions to cure them. Also theres all the locked containers that even my STR 18/98 fighter cant break.
~Slight DE spoiler buried in the below.~

Yes, I know which chests on DE5 you are speaking of; and my STR 18/73 Fighter couldn't break them either.

I have the same problem of no Thief; but having no Thief *and* no Cleric is a double whammy. That is why my front five includes:

DC F(13)/C
DC C(12)/R {or maybe even C(13)/R}

Even so, there will still be a gap with no Clerics and no Thief; and I still haven't figured out what to do about it, except that I have already used a mercenary Thief (a 7th character) to help out in Kuldahar; and I may have to "hire" him again (and let my DC F/M rest) later in the game.

On attacking: I have just always gotten into the habit of pausing and selecting everyone except thte Bard and issuing the attack order. It is almost always very easy to exclude the Bard from the selection box if you have her as the sixth member of the party.

Aerich's advice on the Knock spell and Mirror Image is good; but you are right in that it will not help during the battle with Yux. I did not have Mirror Image on my Bard, yet; so let my 108 HP tank run around the area ahead and clear it. That way the Cleric had to use only one cure poison or cure disease. Aerich's solution is definitely cleaner; and now that I have two Mirror Image spells, I have allowed the Bard to learn one. (I am hoarding scrolls for when the F/M DCs.)

I haven't tried it yet, but see no reason why you couldn't do a monster summon and use the little guys as walking minesweepers.

Have you been drinking the Mummy's Teas or selling them? You should have found somewhere on the order of 10 by now.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 AM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
at the end of DE 5 the traps arnt just single charge are they so that doesnt apply there does it, or am I wrong?
You are correct. The traps on DE lvl 5 cannot be disarmed by being triggered - only a thief can get rid of them for good, which is why I do my utmost to have an active thief at that stage of the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
I haven't tried it yet, but see no reason why you couldn't do a monster summon and use the little guys as walking minesweepers.
I've tried it and it doesn't work. Only player characters set off traps.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #18
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Noble Nick,
I never throw away mummies tea, i find disease to be one of the most annoying things to happen to a character, but alas i have run out. Due to the fact that i have no healers i cant stock up on cure disease scrolls or memorize the spell.

One of my fighters got diseased by a trap on DE 5 and i had to back track all the to DE 2 in order to get healing from Mother Eugenia, all the while playing WCotS and giving her shots of the wand of healing i had found somewhere in the level above.

Another query i have is about your C[13]/R, what was your reason for choosing this build?. When you dual over at level 13 you'll have lvl 6 priest spells. When (and if) your ranger maxes out at lvl 30 he'll only have lvl 6 spells also. Wouldnt it be better to wait until C[14]/R in order to get lvl 7 spells (albeit only one].
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #19
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Another query i have is about your C[13]/R, what was your reason for choosing this build?. When you dual over at level 13 you'll have lvl 6 priest spells. When (and if) your ranger maxes out at lvl 30 he'll only have lvl 6 spells also. Wouldnt it be better to wait until C[14]/R in order to get lvl 7 spells (albeit only one].
The main reason for having a DC Cleric/xxxxx is to have a Cleric active while building the Fighter portion of the DC F/C. The reason for making the C/X a C/R build is that the Cleric gains lots of slots, which can then be used for the Druid spells that the Ranger gains. This character can stock many more Druid spells than a straight Ranger; but also has access to the Cleric buffing spells that I love.

The reason for DCing at Cleric(12) is that it is a sweet spot for maximizing the number of slots that will be available to stock up on the Druid spells that the ranger will eventually get. Also, this gives the character access to two (2) SLVL 6 spells. This is high enough to get the SLVL 5 "Raise Dead," and to have slots available for the highest Druid spells the Ranger will get. (actually, this is overkill, since a Ranger doen't get SLVL 6 until Ranger(29), which takes far more experience than the character will attain in a full party on Normal difficulty.) I might wait until C(13) to DC, simply to keep the Cleric around a bit longer, until the F(13)/C DCs. But waiting until Cleric(14) forces you to Ranger(15) to get the abilities back. All this to get the SLVL 7 "Resurrection" is, in my opinion, not worth it for a game on Normal difficulty; especially since the Bard can recharge any character to full health in moments. You might consider Cleric(14) worth it for HoF mode; but remember that the Ranger is not capable of attaining SLVL 7 Druid spells.

The beauty of having two Clerics is two-fold (no pun intended): First, both can stock up on Recitation and Prayer. For tough fights, one can cast Recitation, and the other Prayer. These spells stack with each other and with the Bard's songs, to buff your fighter-heavy party into a truly armor plated ginsu killing machine. Second, If both carry Raise Dead, then you can always recover your entire party unless BOTH of these tough guys get killed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich: I've tried it and it doesn't work. Only player characters set off traps.
I, tried using summoned monsters to set off the traps, yesterday (before I had read your post), and verified that you are correct. I next tried my "hired" Thief; but she was LVL1 with only something like 30% in find traps, which was not good enough. I went back to DE3 and fought about 10 battles, which was enough to level her to CLVL 5. I pumped her "Find Traps" to 95%, which did the trick.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-10-2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

ahh i see, im not sure about how a parties power is compared to HOF mode monsters but in normal mode party members hardly die anyway so i spose an extra restorive isnt really worth it.