Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #21
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Good luck, though I doubt you should even think about engaging in melee with a marilith at level 1 (Yux is a marilith, right? Or is that just her picture?)

Good luck with her! I invision a lot of running and reloading in your future
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #22
Midget Gems

I have previously done this fight as a Solo and with a regular party in HOF mode, so I know what tactics I will try and use. I suspect I may run out of arrows and have to resort to some melee fighting, lets hope my Blur and Mirror Image last long enough to keep her at bay. As you know my AC is set by the equipment and buffing I use, so I can achieve something like AC=-9 when the need arises.
I found that even getting into the final chamber was hard because of the traps - and then I have to run away back through the traps again. Sigh!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #23
Midget Gems

Ok, I'm done with DE5 and it's snake-skin boots for everyone. Yee-haa

I had about 10 reloads, but half of them came from stepping on traps during my retreat to the chambers at the north of the passageway. Once in position I could defend the choke-points and keep her at bay long enough to do some damage. Now it's done I wish I had tried it on 'Normal' setting, because it wasn't the hardest fight I've had. I also used my potions to open most of the chests and get the treasure I need to finance the next part of the journey.

You have 'hand' it to these guys, when the going gets tough - the Gnomes just get tougher.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #24
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Lol you beat her eh? good work i take my hat of to you. How many levels you got stored up it those little gnomes?. When the time comes to level them up its gonna be huge hitpoint\save boost lol....super sayain gnomes.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #25
ister
Drow Warrior

Wow.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
Midget Gems

Each of my character has about 250K of XP in the bank, enough to get to level 8 or 9 for my Multi-classed Gnomes. Got a little way to go yet before I need to level-up! If I do my Mages will have no spells, because I have used most of the scrolls already.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:31 AM   #27
Midget Gems

Another progress report from the Gnomes without the sense to use Level-ups.

We have cleared the lower half of the 'Hand and have our first quest item. With the difficulty set to 'Easy' the game balance is ok - it reminds me a little of HOF mode in that each battle takes a long time. This is because I have good defensive equipment but poor attacking skills, so both sides roll a lot of misses.

One enemy that gave more trouble than usual were the skeletons that cast Fireball, as you would expect one mistake there and the whole party gets toasted. I also struggle when out-numbered by large groups that include archers and spellcasters - well there are plenty more of those up ahead.

So onwards and upwards we go - be seeing you. MG
Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #28
Midget Gems

As I hacked ‘n slashed my way through the ‘Hand, it occurred to me I was going about this in the wrong way. Since I don’t need the XP from fighting, all I want is to collect a few nice items and get to the end of the Quest. And since most of the loot is on tables or in junk-piles, then I would be better off using stealth rather than brute force, cos I haven’t got much of that.
So I have been using ‘sneak in, grab it & run’ tactics to get through the next few levels and it has been quite easy. Now I am ready to visit Larrel, if I can just get passed those damn Elf Archers, it will be another impossible milestone completed for the crazy Gnomes who refuse to use level-up.
Thinking ahead to Dorn's Deep - I wonder which will be the next tough battle, that will require me to dig into my bag of potions and scrolls to find something to take the heat out of the situation. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 AM   #29
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

GET RESISTANCES TO FIRE & COLD!!!!
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #30
Midget Gems

Too right, Dundee. If I make it as far as the 'ice' area then I am in big trouble. My guys have problems with anything that does elemental damage - one critical hit and the're dead.
First, though, there is the small matter of the Drow area. MG