Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Darkstone

Old 01-26-2001, 10:28 PM   #1
polgara

Has anyone actually gotten through the hives in a legend game?! I'm about to lose my mind. There must be 200 wasps at once! This has always been a difficult quest, but this is ridiculous (and no fun). Fear has little to no impact. It is almost impossible to get into the area with the hives and the queen because the wasps block the door. If you do get in, you can't higlight on the nest for all the wasps in the way, so you can't tell what you're hitting. I've tried about 30 times. Three times I've wiped out a nest only to be killed because I couldn't get back out of the "room". Storm will move the wasps a bit, but not enough to be really practical. Poison cloud will kill the wasps, but they generate faster new ones than I can kill them. I've tried invisibility (doesn't do any good, the wasps see you immediately), berserker, haste, teleporting into the "room" (doesn't work), magic door out of the room (can't get a door to generate because of all the wasps in the way). My character is a sorceress who is max in all spells and skills. Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2001, 05:42 PM   #2
charliejeff

read somewhere on here (may be worth looking through the lot) that you can get through if you set your 2nd player to use magic bomb automatically and flamethrower seem to be the only effective weapons, whilst using lots of potions to keep you alive. thanks for the info on youth, suppose I would have seen it eventually (doh!)
Old 01-31-2001, 03:07 PM   #3
Gadzooks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The hives were a real pain; got killed about 30 times. Finally hit upon a working model that allowed me to get the crystal. Fear doesn't work, nor does invisibility, and shield fails because the wasps and bees are so close they hit you directly without using magic missiles. In addition, the wasps regenerate so fast that it's nearly impossible to kill them (fight your way in). The only trick is speed and diversion.

In this quest, confusion actually works through walls, as does invocation (really fun to watch too). Step by step, First, get about 20+ blue and red potions, second, weild a good sword (200 HP damage or so, minimum, when weilded). Break all the hive doors downj to the last one, but leave it. Move to the last 'door' of the hive (the one that's not broken yet). There will be tons of wasps already. Nail as many of them as you can see with confusion (having a shield with spell duration increased helps a bunch too). Then put haste, berserker, invisibility, and shield (reflections) on yourself. Keep them on, too, shield will wear of the fastest, so check it often; and just for kicks drop a fire golem in the fray. Queue up storm and break the last "door". Hit storm and move to the 3 nests in the first 'room'. Go after the nests and destroy them. Refresh your spells, and queue up teleport. teleport into the back area where the queen is. Go to the very back and throw down a magic door. Now cast confusion on every bee you see. Destroy the hives - drop a golem - enjoy the fireworks. Go into your inventory and grap the sword of elwon. Hack the queen and grap the crystal. Queue up storm and head for your door. Good luck, 'cause when the queen goes everything seems to come into the back room to come after you.

Don't go back down through your door, you'll be dead meat. Just leave the door and go out of town into Ardyl like you did at the beginning of the game. The next time you "door back to town", the new door will overwrite the old one and you'll be fine (one round of the impossible quest is enough!).

Yes, it would be nice if fear worked like it should (since everyone still tells you to use it to get to the queen).

Best of luck,
Gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 02:26 PM   #4
SoulHarvester

I posted another thing about this... but here's what made it *extremely* easy for me.

Note I've only done it on novice and expert, but it was so incredibly easy for me on both those levels I have to say it should be easy(easier) on the higher levels then it seems to be to you.

The reflections spell is the way to go man. Both on novice and expert I had to heal myself at most once or twice during the entire nest assault, so long as I kept my reflections up. Because their primary attack is that lightning or whatever they shoot at you, you are INVULNERABLE to it as long as you keep reflections up. The only time I ever took damage was when I didn't pay attention and lost my reflections spell.

Also I am a warrior and not a mage, seems to me for a mage it would be easier because a) more mana for spell b) easier to have it at higher level

Just a thought!