Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 05:02 AM   #11
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hey, I know Focus too... er, but not too well

I used to work for Within Temptation's record company a few years back, and I've also interviewed them once for a friend's underground metal mag. I was in their promotion team (four girls in DSFA records T-shirts pestering people with W.T. postcards ) when they first appeared on Dynamo Open Air (it was their fifth or sixth gig ever [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] )! Took a couple of pics of Sharon for a friend who was absolutely besotted with her (and with all other female metal singers, heh.)
I still have the first two albums (Enter and the Dance) from back then, and I know the new one as well. Not very surprising to suddenly hear them all over the radio, they were kinda working towards that.

Now, listen. If you REALLY want to hear a GREAT Dutch band, check out the site of Daeonia!!
They are probably too original to be appreciated by the masses, but give them a try! There is a download section with a live video and some MP3s from songs. Their style is hard to describe, the latest work is probably rock with a dark edge, think a little drop of Fields Of the Nephilim/Sisters with lots of modern influences, GREAT keyboards, slightly less great vocals and an absolutely brilliant drummer.... OK OK I confess, I admit it! My boyfriend's the drummer [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But check them out anyway: they released two cds on an English label and are working on material for the third. They really need a new (preferably male) vocalist too, so if you know a good singer in Holland, let me know [img]smile.gif[/img] (and by good I mean experienced and talented, nothing less!)

OK, end of commercial
But do check the site, ok? [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 08:06 AM   #12
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Hey, Melusine, that band Daeonia is actually quite good! They're original, which is nowadays rare among all those gothic metal bands. I'd heard their name before, but hadn't bothered to check them out, cause I thought they would be just another one of those thirteen-in-a-dozen-bands. Thanks for the link.

And about Within Temptation, they're cool, but not that great IMO. They're not even close to the level of those Finnish gothmetal gods (and goddess) Nightwish.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

Old 01-24-2002, 08:45 AM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

J'aran! Are you kidding me?? I LOVE Nightwish! Tarja is one of the few female metal singers that can really keep me enthralled! Technical skill combined with a beautiful, warm voice and good lines - quite rare with all these thin-sounding "soprano" girlie-singers around.
I've been a fan since Angels Fall First came out (their first album) and sang in a Nightwish coverband for a short while (not coming near Tarja's brilliance of course ). Seen them live twice too [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I'm SO glad you know Daeonia! That's really cool! I heard the music before I got to know my boyfriend (well, he gave it to me before we actually got together [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and I honestly and objectively find them one of the better bands in the Netherlands. I know almost no band that has such an idiosyncratic sound, that manages to sound so much like themselves. I would recognise one of their songs from thousands of others! That's a rare quality these days. I also like that fact that they're skilled musicians (I esp. love the keyboards), that's not so common in bands these days. Seems like every moron that can play three notes on a guitar can be a star these days. Have you ever heard of Manifest (technical metal, they quit a few years ago) by any chance? Eric, the guitarist, used to play in it.
Anyway, I'll stop now... hehe.... but it's good to see there are still people out there who appreciate good music [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Now pass on the word to all of your friends!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:40 AM   #14
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
J'aran! Are you kidding me?? I LOVE Nightwish! Tarja is one of the few female metal singers that can really keep me enthralled! Technical skill combined with a beautiful, warm voice and good lines - quite rare with all these thin-sounding "soprano" girlie-singers around.

So true. LOL, have you heard the new Sinister by any chance? Although I realize it's not really up your alley. Death metal with a female vocalist - the woman actually has a more brutal grunt than most of her male colleagues. Definately not a thin-sounding girlie-singer

quote:
I've been a fan since Angels Fall First came out (their first album) and sang in a Nightwish coverband for a short while (not coming near Tarja's brilliance of course ). Seen them live twice too [img]smile.gif[/img]

I didn't really get into Nightwish until one of my bands actually came up with the luminous idea to make a cover-version of 'Come Cover Me' from Wishmaster. Listened to it to learn the song and got hooked right away, although I still don't have their earlier albums.

quote:
Have you ever heard of Manifest (technical metal, they quit a few years ago) by any chance? Eric, the guitarist, used to play in it.

No, I don't think so... Name sounds familiar though. Have they ever released a CD? Or even a demo? Chances are I may have heard it from friends.

Hey, now were talking about Dutch metal anyway, anyone know After Forever? Roughly the same style as Nightwish/Within Temptation, and again better than W.T. IMHO. A bit heavier, which I like, being a death/black/thrash metal-afficinado at heart.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:07 PM   #15
Campino

I just checked the link you gave Mel,and i must say i
like what i heard,although you're right about the vocalist [img]smile.gif[/img]
some improvement can be made there.Anyway,like the music,let us
know when their third cd is released,ok?

CU
Old 01-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #16
Konfuzed and Zany
Manshoon

Check out a band Called VladimiR
They ain't recordin anything I think but they have won the Bandjescompetition in Apeldoorn this year
Alternative Rock
Incase you ever come in the nabourhood [img]smile.gif[/img]