Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 04:58 PM   #1
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Ok the subject says it all. I am playing a kensai mage and I am trying to determine the best robe for me. Do I want 2 lower AC or do I want the magic resistance and increased casting rate? I think my character is a work in progress so I can't really say for certain how much frontline fighting there will be vs casting spells from relative safety. With stoneskins and such I would tend to think I could sacrifice 2 ac for the magic resistance and casting speed bonuses (4 seems alot to me. is this a very noticable difference?)

Thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 05:02 PM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

the casting speed makes a lot of diff. if you have amulet of conster damon obtained from aran linvail which speeds your casting time by 1 you can cast spells at -5, this means fireballs instanly, abi-dalzeems at fireball speed. its well worth it.

------------------
It was then that Toril knew the return of Lord Bane

Old 07-18-2001, 05:02 PM   #3
koz-ivan
Manshoon

vecana's robe is imo one of the best single items in the game, the speed boost to casting is incredibly powerful. if you like to cast spells in combat.

if you use your kensai mage as a frontline ftr and only cast spells between combat then go w/ the lower ac.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

Robe of Vecna, certainly. That casting reduction really makes a difference, you'll be able to let loose death spells and fireballs immediately, and with most of the protective spells at your disposal the AC reduction of the Apprenti robe won't be worth it. Besides I'd say better saving throws are more important for a mage than AC anyway.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:10 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

All mages should strive for the Robe of Vecna as quickly as possible. The speed with which your spells may be cast is invaluable.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-18-2001, 05:13 PM   #6
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well glad to see most are thinking like I originally was hehe. I thought -4 speed would be huge altough I have never used the robe. Looks like i am getting that for sure.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:15 PM   #7
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I would support the robe of vecna approach. For rally good AC simply cast spirit armor - reduces your AC to 1!, robe of aprenti does not even come close. Besides, in order to get it you have to give up something more valueble then money.