Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-22-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I uninstalled SoA to get rid of the evil Ascension mod, then my CD-ROM went out. I now have a new CD-RW, but it won't let me install SoA. It keeps asking for new discs up to disc 5, then crashes. Is this a known bug?
Old 06-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Possibly an error on disk 5 of your CDs, you could try cleaning it thoroughly.

Personally, this is what I would do:

1) Try uninstalling BG from the control panel add/remove programs (you may not get this option, but check it anyway).
2) Try uninstalling BG from the autorun CD menu
3) Delete the entire contents of c:\Program Files\Black Isle\Soa II\ Literally delete the folder
4) Retry installation at this point

If this fails... make a cd image of disk 5 and burn a copy. If this process fails, you know for sure you have a bad disk 5. If it burns properly, it could be your new CD-RW being picky with your disk. In which case, repeat steps 1-4 but use your newly burned disk 5.

Hopefully this'll work. If this fails, ask a friend if you can borrow their disk 5 for installation purposes.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
Possibly an error on disk 5 of your CDs, you could try cleaning it thoroughly.Good luck.
Ehm...
He's talking about SoA which HAS only 4 CDs. So cleaning disk 5 won't be actually possible.

It IS a known bug and in my case it could always be resolved by using disk1 as disk5. However the program is actually searching for some missing files which could be on any CD so you'd have to try each of the four to see which fits as CD5.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:23 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

And if all that dosent work, you have to clean your registry by hand. Start->run->regedit, use the search tool for anything marked baldur or interplay. Be careful in there, delete the wrong things and you can kill windows.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:57 AM   #5
Kezardin
Elminster

Attalus,

The Bioware site has some suggestions for possibly getting around the 'CD5' problem :

http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows...ssues/#install
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Thanks, everybody! I solved it. Want to know how? I found my original game CD's, the ones I lent to Piestrider, and used them. Worked like a charm. Now, what is it about that brand new game that wouldn't install? Anti-piracy thingies? Well, it's going back to Wal-Mart.