Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-10-2002, 01:59 PM   #11
Drake
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
My response would have to be, that Drake, this is one of the most pointless yet comical threads I can remember. Rock on!!!

And btw, you'd just know ok?

Most pointless thread aye? I like the sound of that thanks!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:03 PM   #12
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
If it was windy, there would be no fog.

Ah, yes, that's true.

But I still say that you can't just walk up an icy slope without falling, so this is indeed a very pointless discussion. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:04 PM   #13
Drake
Baaz Draconian

quote:

If it was windy, there would be no fog.

Anyway, to up the hill you must raise your weight, whereas if you were not moving you're legs wouldn't do any lifting. You would be able to tell the difference.

well yes you are raising your weight to walk but how far you've moved your weight is just as far as your weight is moved back. IMHO I don't think you'd be able to feel that this is happening.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:06 PM   #14
Drake
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

Ah, yes, that's true.

But I still say that you can't just walk up an icy slope without falling, so this is indeed a very pointless discussion. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

yes another one who said this is pointless!! wow can I get an award for this? j\k [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 09:36 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Drake:

yes another one who said this is pointless!! wow can I get an award for this? j\k [img]tongue.gif[/img]

What, something like the award I have for most useless post? (see my sig...)
Old 02-11-2002, 09:44 AM   #16
Drake
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

What, something like the award I have for most useless post? (see my sig...)

LOL yeah something like that. what did you post that was to useless?
Old 02-11-2002, 02:03 PM   #17
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Was anyone else confused by 7 of the last 8 posts being made by Drizzt?
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 02-11-2002, 02:07 PM   #18
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Was anyone else confused by 7 of the last 8 posts being made by Drizzt?

No, why would we be? There's Drizzts and there's Drizzts, if you catch my driz... erm, DRIFT. I mean, not every ol' Drizzt has J'aran written above his head. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 02:14 PM   #19
Lavindathar
Harper

Drake, you can copy Epona's sig but put my name instead of 250's.

And also, this thread rocks.

But, there could be wind AND fog, as the wind might not have blown all the fog away. The fog could be moving with the wind, but there could be plenty more to blow past, if you follow my drift!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:17 PM   #20
Thoran
Galvatron

Theres a couple possibilities.

If your feet were on a surface that had low or zero friction:
-you would feel the forces caused by slight misalignments of your body... these forces tend to make you fall over but your brain automatically compensates for those force by applying opposing forces using muscles. The problem here is that those opposing forces normally work using the friction of your feet against the ground... no friction, no ability to balance. you will definitely feel this (on your backside most likely).
-You would also feel the lack of work being done... kindof like riding a stationary bicycle that's set to no resistance feels different than when it's set to high resistance. You feel the work your doing... and in the case of sliding back you're not doing any work (other than moving your legs)

The other possiblity is that your walking along on a sheet of something that's sliding backward at the same rate your walking forward. This one's tricky because you'll still be able to balance. If the slope is gentle enough you would not notice that you're not doing work against the force of gravety... in which case you're right... you'd be fooled. On a steep slope of course you'd know right away that something was amiss... because it would be much too easy to walk (like walking up the down escalator at the same speed it's running feels funny)