Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 08:48 AM   #111
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
Yep makes me glad we're not part of Europe [img]smile.gif[/img]
LOL! Well I wouldn't base the whole of Europe on a couple of *cough*sore*cough*losers*

Old 06-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #112
norompanlasolas

in case anyone can read spanish, here are a couple of links to the most read sports and regular nespapers.

www.marca.es
www.as.com
www.elpais.es
www.elmundo.es
www.abc.es

the headline in marca is this world cup sucks. in as is robbery. all newpapers say roughly the same thing (even the most respected and serious ones, like el pais). the most respected journalists all over the country all say it was a robbery, and villar (president of the comission of referees) has resigned from his position. i guess spain is a country with 40 million sore loosers then.

one side note. its very easy to talk about football (as of anything) from the sidelines, without real knowledge and without involvment in it, cause you are not involved. well, football and politics are the 2 issues that everybody thinks they know about.

edit: i just read that mario vargas llosa said it was a robbery too. SORE LOSER, SORE LOSER!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-23-2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 06-23-2002, 12:15 PM   #113
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
in case anyone can read spanish, here are a couple of links to the most read sports and regular nespapers.

www.marca.es
www.as.com
www.elpais.es
www.elmundo.es
www.abc.es

the headline in marca is this world cup sucks. in as is robbery. all newpapers say roughly the same thing (even the most respected and serious ones, like el pais). the most respected journalists all over the country all say it was a robbery, and villar (president of the comission of referees) has resigned from his position. i guess spain is a country with 40 million sore loosers then.

one side note. its very easy to talk about football (as of anything) from the sidelines, without real knowledge and without involvment in it, cause you are not involved. well, football and politics are the 2 issues that everybody thinks they know about.

edit: i just read that mario vargas llosa said it was a robbery too. SORE LOSER, SORE LOSER!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
And you said that these are all...Spanish newspapers? I wonder if the Italian (Gazetta della Sport) and Portuguese newspapers all say the same thing...we wuz ROBBED!!! Life is so unfair!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It would be interesting to read a Turkish or Senegalese newspaper. Or even an English one for that matter.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:20 PM   #114
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, i can say that the feeling in my country about the refereeing in the second stage of the worldcup is the same as in Spain, maybe only a little less overfloowing with temprament.
Lets face the facts. The referee in the South Korea-Spain match did influence the game in favor of South Korea. Weither this was intentional or not is not the point. Is it therefor a thing you can be so disgrunteled about. Not really, IF it was the first match in wich it happened. Bad calls have been made in other matches too. Such bad calls that they were obvious and very important to the outcome of the game. It's not like the let one offside go or not, they took it onto themselves to make a call for no reason. The point isn't even if a goal would've been scored or not, it's just that the call was bad and so obvious for everyone to see. Even Fifa admitted that the refereeing was bad and if they admit it that means something because they have always been defending their refs. If they say it's bad that means it IS bad.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #115
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
I'm so proud to be brazillian. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maybe there'l be a chance of some nice, unopinionated commentry now.
I'm suprised a Scot would bother reading a World Cup thread.

Go the country stealers!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-23-2002, 03:36 PM   #116
Donut
Jack Burton

Just a word about the refereeing and the whingeing. I think it's hilarious that the countries doing the most whingeing are those that have gone out of their way in the past to cheat and con the referees every chance that they can. Hoist by their own petard.

Having said that some of the decisions have been diabolical It's hard to train and work for four years for the world cup and then have it taken from you by the incompetence of one linesman. The lino in the Spain game must be blind not to see it from where he was. There is a lot of passion in football and it's hard to keep self control when one man robs you of a dream.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-23-2002, 03:51 PM   #117
Donut
Jack Burton

Well that's it. The dream is over for another four years. I was very disappointed with the performance in the second half against Brazil, we really didn't deserve to win.

There are some plus points. We were the second youngest team in the competition and will be back fitter and stronger in 2006. We've still got the likes of Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy to come in.

Thank God the supporters behaved themselves.

I had some great days in the pub

And of course there is the chance of celebration for the IW Schadenfreude brigade. Why worry about your own team being rubbish when you can oppose England!

Oh and of course We beat Argentina!!

To the tune of Rod Stewart's Sailing

We are England!

We are England!

No-one likes us!!

We don't care!!!

Old 06-23-2002, 08:29 PM   #118
norompanlasolas

a little bit of fun at the expense of the fashion model (or was it football player?) from an argentinian newspaper. sorry for the translation, i did it a bit hastily. oh, and the colon is the biggest opera house in argentina.

jump, jump, jump, little spice girl...
beckham, that didnt turn out to be so brave, made this huge leap and brasil took the ball on its way to the goal. seems he was more worried to protect his frail little ankles than to win the ball. ole advices: send him to the royal ballet of london, hell do great.

beckham greets a rival, and another one, swaps his shirt that is dry like just taken out of the laundry. he comes out with his hairdo unaltered, of course, for more pride of his coiffeur, that had just arrived days before. bye bye... nice return home. by plane or jumping, like in brasils first goal. he rose in the air like he was sergei bubka and rivaldos goal ensued.

to celebrate owens goal, he was first in the line, though. looking at the camera, pure show. now when it comes to playing... hmmm... against brasil he played backwards all the time. yesterday the one that elbowed kily gonzalez, the one that scored with the badly shot penalty, didnt exist. even more, after all his talk about fair play, the one that critisiced argentinians because "they could do anything" simulated 2 penalties that the referee didnt whistle. bye bye beckham. nice return home and well try to get in touch with you. our national ballet needs a leading... man?

[ 06-23-2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: norompanlasolas ]
Old 06-23-2002, 08:45 PM   #119
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Funny pic He had to jump out of the way. He was going to get smashed!
Old 06-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #120
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

hehe, that's a funny picture.