Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 10:09 AM   #1
AcePylut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So - I'm playing this game through from the start, and decided that ranged weapons are the way to go. My party creation is as follows.

1 Dwarf Berserker - Level 8
1 Scorceror - Level 8
1 Fighter, Dual-Classed to a Thief right from the start (PS - got to thief to Level 7 by the time I got out of Irenicus's prison)

I have 3 more fighters (Level 8) that will be dual classed into 2 mages and a cleric.

My question is this...

If i wait until my fighters reach level 9 before dual classing them into the Mages and Clerics, will I get any special fighter abilities....I.E. Will a fighter get another weapon proficiency at level 9? Will the THACO drop if I wait until the fighter gets to level 9? Will I get a special ability?

I tell ya...2 Mages with Long Bows that attack at fighter tables but have mage capabilities, a cleric that can use the light crossbow of speed, a thief with fighter capabilities... look out. Can you say death from afar?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*cough* *cough*

Berserkers cannot use ranged weapons, dualling to a Cleric means you can only use Cleric weapons.

Anyway... your fighters will still get their level bonuses up till the time you decide to dual them. Remember though, your second class must exceed your first class first in terms of levels before you regain back your fighter abilities.

If you dual at level 9, you get it back when your second class is level 10.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of Aerie Loving Sacred Band!
-------------------------
Party Sorcerer Spell List, v1.03
Dragon Slaying Tips
For your daily dosage of insanity,
Old 10-31-2001, 10:33 AM   #3
AcePylut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ya - beserekers can't use ranged weapons. I figure that in every party you need a butkkicking melee fighter, and my dwarf beserker is that man. Dwarf for the magical resistance... beserker just for the kicks.

The way I understand dualling a character is that when the new class is one level above the old class, you can use the old classes weapons/armour/to hit tables, etc etc. Is this different for the Cleric class? I know since my fighter is currently level 8, I have to get to Cleric Level 9 b4 using fighter stuff... like the crossbow that my cleric is a grand master of.

So, is there any advantage to becoming level 9 fighters in regards to the to hit tables? Will I get 1 more proficiency to use if a fighter gets to level 9?

MY D&D books are so buried under a pile of rubble that I wouldn't be able to find them if I tried.....
Old 10-31-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

If you dual to a Cleric, you will lose your ability to use a crossbow. One great example of a dualled Fighter/Cleric is Anomen.

Yes, you will still get your weapon proficiency at level 9, after all, why will you lose it? It is not like the computer knows when you are dualling, so you level up as a fighter normally.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:43 AM   #5
AcePylut
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why is it that if I dual to a cleric, I lose my ability to use a crossbow? Or, do I just lose the crossbow ability until the cleric level gets 1 level above the fighter level?

Is that the same for mages? Will I lose the ability to use longbows if I switch from fighters to mages?

So - a fighter does get another weapon proficiency at level nine. Cool, that means I'm going to wait unitl level 9 b4 dual classing my guys.

Do you know if the THACO goes down at level 9 (compared to 8)?

PS - Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Thac0 drops every level for fighters.
Clerics are resticted to blunt weapons, regardless of former training. crossbows are piercing weapons
I'm not sure if mages share this restriction, i doubt it, but they can't cast spells in armor

------------------
toss the dice
Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

You cannot use a crossbow as cleric fighter, but not because of lack of skill but because the weapon is prohibited for clerics (like swords and all other weapons, "which draw blood") for religious reasons. For the same reason, mage fighters can use all weapons they could use as fighter when their mage level is higher than their figher level, because the mage doesn´t have a god, who prohibits weapons to him.

Thaco is lowered every level by one by all fighter character classes.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:00 AM   #8
Lazarus
Manshoon

If you want a good character, dual him to a mage at level 18 atleast.

------------------
The Genesis

It is only the beginning...

[This message has been edited by Lazarus (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 11:03 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus:
If you want a good character, dual him to a mage at level 18 atleast.
Level 18?!?! Level 12 you mean, 18 is a bit extreme, and will diminish the Mage side.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:09 AM   #10
Lazarus
Manshoon

I went to level 18 and imported my kensai and dualed him to a mage
But level 12 would be fine enough
Well i deleted that Character.And started a New Game as an Ordinary Mage, Hes currently level 15 now.

[This message has been edited by Lazarus (edited 10-31-2001).]