Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
Vranda
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I hear so many folks talk about soloing in SoA and ToB. I've never tried this. How does one avoid the problem of traps with a non-thief character? The traps in the Irenicus dungeon would pound you, and many are unavoidable.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Bill26
Dungeon Master

You end up setting most of them off. Try to have protections active, stoneskin and mirror image for a mage or potions for others.
Bill26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I haven't actually complete a solo in full, but most people who do, have already gone through the game several times with parties so they already know where the traps are. As far as disarming them, if you're a spellcaster you can mirror image and trigger the trap without taking it's damage. And if you're a fighter type you have enough hit points to just take the damage.

There is one tricky maze trap in the Bridge district that there's no way to get around because if you get mazed on a solo you're just dead. Some have said they pick up a thief momentarily just to open that one.

As far as I know that's how ya do it.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Ivellios Siannodel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A real challenge is to solo as a fighter or as i have done, Archer. With no magic but for items, a solo Fighter is a formidable task, however, with high HP, soloing fighters have a slight advantage over traps so just save before you think your near one and reload if u die
Old 01-14-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

It is of course certain dangers which can become hard to deal with if you're soloing a certain class, one of these is the traps.
However, in BG2, there's a lack of real deadly traps, unless you make them yourself. All Fighter would have the HP to survive them, all Mages would resist them, all Priests would see and avoid them, et cetera.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Vranda
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How about opening locked chests and doors? I know a knock spell will get them but what if you are not a mage?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vranda:
How about opening locked chests and doors? I know a knock spell will get them but what if you are not a mage?
Bash 'em! It's quite simple, equip a good weapon, click it when it is shown on the quickbar, and attack the item you want open.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

You can just bash most locks if your strength is high enough.

Crom Faeyr, Draw Upon Holy Might and Potions of Storm Giant Strength are all useful methods. [img]smile.gif[/img]

ADD] Damn you Sir Exxon, that's the second time today! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-14-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
ADD] Damn you Sir Exxon, that's the second time today! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL. Ah well, it usually is the other way around anyway, so today's probably just my day. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 07:53 AM   #10
Baros
Manshoon

I'd recommend The journal of Elmonster (from Baldurdash) for anyone wishing to get the lowdown on soloing with any class. Apart from being an entertaining read it has good tactical advice and is a decent walkthrough in it's own right. It should be obvious, but don't read it unless you REALLY want to be spoiled.

Mages of course can get familiars to assist with locks/traps. Make sure your alignment is correct for the abilities you want.

Other than that, the most obvious thing to do is multi-class - A F/M/T will give good all round abilities. Obtaining a patch will actually allow you to advance to level 50 in all 3 classes, instead of been limited to 8m XP and stuck at relatively low levels.

Any class *can* be soloed and it's a great way to learn how best to use a particular set of abilities and tactics. The only disclaimer I'd make is that it can and does spoil the game in some ways. Try and complete it before soloing.
Baros is offline   Reply With Quote