Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-13-2000, 03:34 AM   #1
Gaijin

Why oh WHY is it that when I'm crawling the latest dungeon doing my best to remember where I've been and where I need to go next that my mini-map suddenly decides to wipe out the area I just came from and start the newest area on a blank map? Say it with me, kids, SELF-DEFEATING. Helloooo? If there is ONE thing about this game I could change right now, it would be the auto-mapping. I give it two UGH's up. WAY up.

And I thought the damn map in Daggerfall was confusing. As a famous Dwarf once said, "Ye can't be puttin' a 3-D world on a 2-D map, ye silly bugger!" I know that others have experienced far greater difficulties than this, so I count myself as one of the blessed free from technical problems. The auto-mapping has really been the only significant thing that has hindered my enjoyment of the game (I HATE running around in circles trying to find that certain tiny little fragment of the map with the elevator I need on it). I just came from the Stout Mines and MAN does my head hurt.

Old 11-13-2000, 11:25 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

A very nice rant it was too!!

And one expressed by probably every player. It is just a really bad design for automapping. We need the ability to scroll through the areas we have explored, the different levels et al to really make sense of it. I got very tired with aimless wandering around being the best strategy.

Wyv
Old 11-13-2000, 02:14 PM   #3
Lily the Ranger

One of the things I love about this game is automap. One of the things I hate about this game is - automap. Can you say graph paper? (takes one back to the old days of D&D - nostalgic moment about pain from past that has resurfaced) It is like wading in the swamp when you would rather be by the pool, but it got my through the lifts at the Serpent Temple. Sounds like I'd better keep my graph paper handy, after all, does my daughter really need it for Algebra she intends never to use again?

Old 11-13-2000, 09:32 PM   #4
xenotoca

Once I got used to them I thought the 3D maps of a 3D dungeon in Daggerfall were great. However the dungeons were all alike wereas W&W does have varied dungeons. The automap is pretty grim in W&W. I tried dropping things to check were I was ect but there is some dam dungeon cleaner going round with a rubbish cart picking it all up. If I ever catch up with him / her I am going to drag them back to the torture chamber in the serpant temple and use the red hot poker.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:23 PM   #5
Winzalot

One of the things that I've done to make it more usable is the little feature on the large map of placing flags. You get blue, red or green. Color code things, like here is the prisoner, or spider egg press, etc. I've started labeling stairs that take you to another level so that I know where I am going on each level - like to the Library.

Now my problem is that I've gone as far as I know how, don't have the flasks I need, have opened every chest (not one flask in a chest) and have two places I cannot open. There is a barred room at the end of a long hallway. I can see a skull switch on the opposite wall, but have no way to flip it. Also, cannot get into the Naga room... Woe is me.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:37 PM   #6
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

The little flags saved my life.. it was pure random wandering that got me through the Serpent Temple, I'm embrarassed to say. I'm usually good about mapping (I still have 60 pages filled with maps from phantasy star 1 on the old sega master system) but here, with the 3d levels, I just had problems.
Old 11-14-2000, 10:45 PM   #7
Vincewind

Well, I kinda like the automap, it's like one of ya said, one of the best things about this game is the automap. One of the worst (in terms of non bug related problems) is failure to provide decent info. Which is why this is so great. (The forum), When the automapper starts you in a new blank page, your on a diffrent level. I found this very usefull in trying to figure out which level I needed to be on to get to some places. Also, anoying in that i had to go up/down stairs to find out where in relation the room was on the map below, or above. But still alot faster then me making maps like I did for the Eye of the Beholder series.

Old 11-15-2000, 04:24 AM   #8
Astyanax12

The problem with the automap is that it isn't an automap. It's an overhead view with optional flags, like a flying camera with x-ray vision. Real mapping is done by drawing lines and symbols to help you get around. Now the M&M automap, that really was an automap!