Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #11
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I went to get contacts and had a lot of trouble putting them in at first.. After several days though i became totally used to it and now have no problem whatsoever putting them in. If i leave them in to long though they become quite irritating. I stick to my glasses unless i'm playing hockey or swimming or something like that...

I use soft lens ones that are recommended as good for about a year. Put them in in the morning and out at night. Mine are much older than a year though and i don't wear them to often (as stated above). They tend to get very annoying if i leave them in more than five hours.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:40 PM   #12
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Contact lenses are great! I couldn't believe the improvement in vision when I first got them, and I loved not looking at life through a frame, which I'd done since I was 5 years old. Contact lenses certainly change the way you look at things. I'm not trying to be punny either! Well, I am, but it obviously isn't working, so....

LASIC is definately the way to go if it is possible. I was going to have it done this year, and already signed up at work through my medical reimbursement plan, but my wife decided that having her gall bladder removed was more important. She may have been right, but I don't see any better since she had it taken out. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm saving up my money (and courage) right now, and I'm shooting for the Spring.

If you can't afford it right now, or if you're one of the people LASIC can't help, I definately suggest daily wear soft contacts. Soft contacts are a dream. At least, they seemed like it to me after a generation of hard lenses. [img]smile.gif[/img]

For sensitive eyes, I don't know that I'd suggest monthly wear soft lenses. Actually, I don't like the idea of monthly wear at all. Some here will probably disagree, but I just don't see the need to wear them while I sleep. I also remember some of the first weekly wear lenses from years ago that were suppose to be safe but caused problems including, but not limited to, eye infections.

For some eye disorders, doctors do prefer hard lenses, but if you can avoid them, do it. Hard lenses are tough to adjust to because of the initial(substantial) discomfort that only goes away gradually. If your eyes are sensitive, hard lenses can/will be problematic. Trust me, I wore them for 20 years. Your eyes do get used to them over time but with especially sensitive eyes, it will be tough.

After wearing hard contacts for 20 years, I suddenly lost my ability to wear them. My eyes, over the period of about a year(probably longer but I didn't pay attention), became too dry to wear them comfortably more than one or two hours at a time. That made them worthless to me because I'm blind without them. That happened after I'd worn them for 18 hours a day, every day since the early 80's. My doctor did some tests and basically decided that my eyes were just changing as I got older.

Even though soft lenses are great, I'm wearing my glasses more now than ever because my eyes are drier (I didn't even own a pair of glasses during the 90s). I can wear my soft lenses for 8 to 12 hours, but not being able to wear them all day has made me lazy. That's another reason I'm looking to LASIC surgery.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ronn I'm willing to perform surgery on you VERY cheap! I have all kinds of tools [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 06:00 PM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Well I don't think I should expect my parents to pay for eye surgery for me. Maybe when I'm big and earning money myself

I'm a bit worried about putting contacts in and such. I'm a big baby when it comes to my eyes; you should see me getting eye drops - it's embarrassing [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] . You probably get used to it after a while don't you?
Sorry for posting then leaving you hanging for explanations. I had to drive home form work. Anyway Yes Davros is quite correct LASIC is a laser eye procedure, I had it done a year ago, there was no pain at all, just had to look at a bright light for a few seconds is all and ...well the results are...fabulous, I couldn't recommend it more. Up fron the eye surgery would be more expensive (some health insurance policies cover part of the cost) but your contacts will cost you more in a few years. The younger you are when you have it doen the more you will save and obviously the longer you will have the freedom. However I would wait till your in your early 20's or so, just to make sure your eyes have stabilized, ask the doctor. Hope that helps.

Davros, don't worry, I have found that agreeing with disagreeable people is not terminal [img]smile.gif[/img] I agree with some interesting people all the time [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Ronn I'm willing to perform surgery on you VERY cheap! I have all kinds of tools [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'd been hoping you would offer, but I didn't want to be pushy and ask.

[ 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 11-04-2002, 06:05 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

Anyway, I'm saving up my money (and courage) right now, and I'm shooting for the Spring.
No worried B-Man you dont feel any pain at all. The drops they put in your eyes numbs them completely, the hard part is that you will have a rather bright light shined in your eye for up to a minute (for each eye)
your eye is held in place so it doesnt movemuch and the doc can control things in case you eye does jerk a bit. Just make sure someone can drive you home because things are blurry for about a day or so. I was able to see just fine about 18 hours later.

[ 11-04-2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-04-2002, 06:08 PM   #17
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
The younger you are when you have it doen the more you will save and obviously the longer you will have the freedom. However I would wait till your in your early 20's or so, just to make sure your eyes have stabilized, ask the doctor.
Good advice Magik. I believe there is a minimum recommended age for this type procedure because of the developement that occurs throughout the teenage years.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:09 PM   #18
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
quote:
I'd been hoping you would offer, but I didn't want to be pushy and ask. [/QUOTE]Ok I am sterilizing my nailguns, staplegun, and reciprocating saw. Also using a propane torch for the actual procedure. I think it can be done in less than 4 hours [img]smile.gif[/img] I may ask Attalus for some advice, he is a testicular sturgeon so he might have a few tips on how to go about this in the most painful yet proper way. I'm readying a table in the carport for whenever your ready! Oh and Live long and prosper Ronn! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 06:11 PM   #19
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:

No worried B-Man you dont feel any pain at all. The drops they put in your eyes numbs them completely, the hard part is that you will have a rather bright light shined in your eye for up to a minute (for each eye)
your eye is held in place so it doesnt movemuch and the doc can control things in case you eye does jerk a bit. Just make sure someone can drive you home because things are blurry for about a day or so. I was able to see just fine about 18 hours later.
[/QUOTE]I'm really looking forward to it.

I remember getting contacts as a teen and thinking, "this is a miracle".

LASIC would be a quantum leap!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:17 PM   #20
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Ok I am sterilizing my nailguns, staplegun, and reciprocating saw. Also using a propane torch for the actual procedure. I think it can be done in less than 4 hours [img]smile.gif[/img] I may ask Attalus for some advice, he is a testicular sturgeon so he might have a few tips on how to go about this in the most painful yet proper way. I'm readying a table in the carport for whenever your ready! Oh and Live long and prosper Ronn! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'll agree to let you do it on 3 conditions.

1.) You don't ask or accept advise from the testicular surgeon regarding the surgery ON MY EYES!

2.) You accept BCBS of NC. (Pretending to accept like my local physician is fine)

3.) You must drink heavily before, during, and after the procedure.

These are my conditions. What say you?