Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #1
Gmmullen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just started IWD and am having some problems. I am in Chapter one, where might I sell and ID scrolls.
Also I have a Fighter/Mage/Thieve and I can no longer use Lock Picking and the ID skills.
Any help would be appreciated by this old man.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:09 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Welcome to Ironworks!

Is your Fighter/Mage/Theif wearing armor? You cannot cast spells while wearing armor other than mage robes, and you cannot use thief abilities with armor heavier than studded leather

For a beginner, I wouldn't recommend a F/M/T unless you are soloing, but I wouldn't recomend that either

Could you list your entire party?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Welcome to Ironworks and the IWD forum, Gmmullen. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Don't be sorry. All of us were once at the stage you're now at.

As Marty said, your F/M/T is probably wearing armour. Thieves can only use the majority of their skills in studded leather or leather armour. Detect Traps works in any armour.

Identifying scrolls should not be a problem. Just right-click on them in the inventory screen, and the description pops up. Your mage can learn the mage spells by clicking on the Write Spell button at the bottom; save your game first, so that you can reload if your mage failed to learn it on the first go. Note that neither mages nor priests can write priest scrolls - priest automatically have full access to each level of spells once they level up high enough to use them. The only uses for priest scrolls involve casting or selling them. Only priests can cast spells off of priest scrolls.

If you're in Chapter One, you can sell (and buy) scrolls and a few items to/from Orrick, a mage in the tower in the top left of the Kuldahar map. His inventory changes and grows at each successive chapter, so it's well worth checking in with him occasionally.

Little Spoiler
You may wish to pick his pockets a couple times. Save before any attempt to pick pockets, because a failed attempt means the whole town can turn hostile.

Feel free to post any more questions you have, no matter how silly you think they are.

Edit: spelling and typing skills are severely compromised at this time of night. I'm gonna go to bed.

[ 12-01-2004, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 12-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Calagari
Manshoon

Welcome to the Forum!
Never be sorry or afraid to ask a question here. This forum has the best group of people I have ever encountered. They know this game backwards and forwards so ask away. I know I asked some pretty dumb questions and probably still do. I never once was met with anything but help. You will be treated the same way. So enjoy the game and I hope you have HOW it makes the game so much better to view.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmmullen:
Just started IWD and am having some problems. I am in Chapter one, where might I sell and ID scrolls.
Also I have a Fighter/Mage/Thieve and I can no longer use Lock Picking and the ID skills.
Any help would be appreciated by this old man.
Thanks in advance.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
Gmmullen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks to all.
The armor was the problem with the thief skills.
I have the ID spell memorized but it is greyed out right between two other active spells. It also has a number one next to it in the spell box.
For Marty here is my party and I chose them without any fore knowledge about the game so they are ones that just struck my fancy at the time.
Fighter - Human
Fighter/Mage/Thief - Half-elf
Fighter/Cleric - Dwarf
Cleric - Human
Mage - Elf
Ranger - Elf
Any assistance on making changes would be great.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Identify is only cast in the inventory screen by right-clicking on an unidentified item, selecting identify, and selecting "spell"

You have a solid party, though a 3-way multi wont thrive in a six person party. Your fighter-heavy party is screeming for a bard to sing a song to buff them up. I'd drop either the ranger or fighter for a bard, and switch your F/M/T for a paladin.

[ 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmmullen:
Thanks to all.
The armor was the problem with the thief skills.
I have the ID spell memorized but it is greyed out right between two other active spells. It also has a number one next to it in the spell box.
For Marty here is my party and I chose them without any fore knowledge about the game so they are ones that just struck my fancy at the time.
Fighter - Human
Fighter/Mage/Thief - Half-elf
Fighter/Cleric - Dwarf
Cleric - Human
Mage - Elf
Ranger - Elf
Any assistance on making changes would be great.
You don't need to make any changes, this party will work fine. Decent arcane, decent divine, heavy melee....these guys(gals) will take you far, though you may wish for more thieving power. Hope you have the Heart of Winter expansion, it adds a good side quest!
BTW, the F/M/T will be VERY slow to level, and will potentially be your weakest link. If it's not too late in the game I would make the FMT into a M/T. Your thief skills will improve faster,, and you will be a better backup mage.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

You could also make the F/M/T into a bard, and switch out the ranger for a F/T.

Your choice, really. You could just leave it as is; we love to tinker with parties and try to maximize their potential, but most parties can make it through the game and yours certainly can.

Good fighter power, good clerical power, good arcane spellcasting. Also good archery, assuming the ranger and F/M/T are both using bows.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:33 AM   #9
Gmmullen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Identify is only cast in the inventory screen by right-clicking on an unidentified item, selecting identify, and selecting "spell"
This is the problem, when I do as you suggest both choices are greyed out.
There has to be something very simple that I am not doing right.
Thanks for your help so far.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 AM   #10
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Don't know what to say!?! Try memorizing the spell, resting and taking off ANY armor,,, and see if it works.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote