Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-27-2001, 06:44 PM   #11
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Some people think removing the xp cap is cheating, but if you are earning those xp legit, you deserve them. So I have done that and had to use CLUA a couple of times when the game blew up but nothing to advance my character...except once when I wanted to see how a 20th level monk fought, so I just set his xp and starting whupping ass. But then I quit the game, no save.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:18 PM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well there are different types of cheating, and different reasons for cheating. I mean, souping up your character so they have 25 for all stats is one sort, not my cup of tea, but if you want to do that, fine. The only time that annoys me is if they then say, hey, such and such baddie was really easy, you must be hopeless if you can't beat him, and it turns out they have a ridiculously overpowered character with ridiculously overpowered equipment.

Then the sort like Mel described, where it's for convenience and improved enjoyment. There's certainly nothing wrong with cheating in a key piece of equipment you somehow misplaced, or a bag of holding for early on if you're soloing. It just makes the game more fun and not a hassle.

Then there's cheating for bugs, romances and such, nothing wrong with that obviously. For instance, I encountered a bug where an enemy in ToB I was fighting would get down to near death, but no matter how much damage I did she wouldn't die. This had been a very long battle to get to this point, and I felt that had the bug not happened, I would have killed her easily (I did at least 1000 damage to her on near death). So I reloaded and used ctrl+y - I felt that I'd already killed her and shouldn't have to do the entire battle again.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:51 PM   #13
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

What does cntrl-y do? It sounds like some sort of instant death thing. Do you have to have debug mode on for it to work?
Old 11-28-2001, 12:40 AM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
What does cntrl-y do? It sounds like some sort of instant death thing. Do you have to have debug mode on for it to work?

Yep, it is. I think it does about 1000 damage, so any enemy is instantly killed. Debug mode? Probably. My brother takes care of such things for me
Old 11-28-2001, 03:04 AM   #15
Whailor

Cheating.. Well frankly who cares. You paid your hard earned cash for this, well at least the cash your parents earned and gave you to buy books'n'pencils, but you bought BG2. In any case, you bought the game, it's yours to mess around.

So if it makes you feel super happy to play with a char who has all stats at 25 and uses the killer sword what one "you know what" NPC has, fine, go ahead. I mean, whatever rocks your boat. Heck, use SK to clad yourself in drow +5 platemail and Rings of Gaxx and what not else, when yer already at it heh. I personally don't care.

Where it starts to matter, is when you start playing multiplayer game. With your close friends you can use such super char, but they may not like it. Or they wont care. However when you join up some game "out there", then it does matter and is not allowed. Worst case is, you get flagged "there" as a cheater and no one will play with you anymore.

Now the little "add-on's", like getting yourself few hundred Identify scrolls and so on. Well again, who cares? It's not like super unbalancing to the game and such. I personally don't mind the 100gp fee - BTW, it's not 100 everywhere, there are NPC's who do it for 75gp - at first, when I am short on cash, I either use the scrolls I find in the game, or don't ID at all. At later stages it doesn't really matter anymore, as I have more cash then I will possibly need anyway. So I pay to them their little fee, which is rare anyway because there's only a little handful of items what my party members cannot ID out of a blue, due to their good lore not being good enough. I remember only 1 case from short past when I used the ID scroll, because no party member could ID that +3 armor. And that was a first one over a long time.

Also, Bag of Holding - frankly, when you have played the game through few times and just want to solo, then go ahead and get it. Not like it unbalances the game or such, it's just a neat "addition" to already experienced player, who just wants to save the time and not deal with little problems, and wants to focus instead on the game. For the first time player, who is going through the game for the first time ever, play the game as it is, you will like it more. Later you can do whatever you want [img]smile.gif[/img]

And bugs or some unwated issues in-game, i.e. accidentally dropping a vital key in some area what you cannot visit anymore, then well, it depends. If they game wont move on without that piece, then I think all will create that item. If the game will move on, just you will miss something, then some "hardcore" people will move on. Most will probably create the item. If there's the bug, then sometimes it's needed to 'create' or 'fix' or 'go around' as well with the help of SK and/or CLUAConsole. Not very long time ago I personally used SK to fix the romance issue - I simply WANTED to 'do' this time the Jaheira romance, but I got to Harper Hold quest early this time and just as Jaheira was called away to hold, Aerie 'came down' on me hard and, well, being the benevolent person I am at times, I said to her few nice words and blam! Her romance was active and Jaheira's over. Duh! So I 'fixed' this
Old 11-28-2001, 03:16 AM   #16
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

it is morally wrong to cheat. yep. if you cheat, the world you know would literally seize to exist. in a way, cheating had murdered more man than chemical weaponery experiements and nazi concentration camp. it is potentially damaging to your nerve system and kills your brain cells faster than cuba cigar.

it is wrong to cheat! do not never ever cheat! for God's sake, play like a man!

I need some help...
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 04:30 AM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ack... time for your medication again, my dear!
*gently takes 250 by the arm and leads him away*
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2001, 01:35 PM   #18
Russ
Manshoon

Cheating to get around a bug is one thing. Or because the interface made you drop an item you damn well know you'd never have dropped on your own.

But because you're too cheap to pay an identification fee, or because a bhaalspawn needs more help than the ridiculous number of ability score re-rolls the game already gives you... is a sign to me of a player sorely in need of a life. (Otoh, I think the ctrl-8 is a pretty neat feature, and am glad that NWN will use a point-assigning process, so that character stats can be more or less dictated within a range.)

So although 250 may have been a bit tongue in cheek, I'm inclined to agree with him. It's a roleplaying game, and supposed to be an immersive experience. Certain items are rare in the game because they're **supposed to be,** and that makes the game itself richer. Would my archer like to have an extra three quivers of arrows of biting? You bet. Will I be very happy when I find where some of the dang things are in the game, because they're so hard to come by in the early stages? You bet. Will I, roleplaying my character, save them for fights that count?

You bet. And that's what separates BG from Diablo.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:07 PM   #19
supergurl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hey if u think cheating makes u feel bad then don't use it. But don't feel bad if u are in need of identify scrolls or arrows or something useful. So don't feel bad if u cheat once in a while. while playing the game i seriously think about using cheats but i don't. It's harder without the cheats but it's ur choice.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:13 PM   #20
Encard
Quintesson

I don't cheat much, but personally, I have to say that if you want to, then go right ahead. Generally, if I cheat it's to correct a bug (like my 2 Bags of Holding (this was in ToB, btw) disappearing for no reason whatsoever, and they had, if I remember correctly, a whole bunch of fancy itmes and stuff in them...), but at times I just give myself and item or something else because I'm very irritated at something, or for some other reason like that (such as if I forgot to pick something up and it turns out I need it about 50 hours later and I'd have to go back a whole lot of areas to get it or I can't get it at all, and it's some stupid minor thing). *shrug*
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote