Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
If you remove the age factor, if you pretend all novels had ben writen and published at the exact same time, what make LOTR special, what make it "the best story ever written"?
Nothing does. But the fact that it was the first and was written with such depth when back then, nothing like that was really around...it was a pioneer. It's like saying, "What makes the D&D system so special in comparison to other RP game systems?"
Old 09-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #12
Djinn Raffo
Ra

It's well plotted but poorly scripted.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Probably because of the movie.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Luvian:
If you remove the age factor, if you pretend all novels had ben writen and published at the exact same time, what make LOTR special, what make it "the best story ever written"?
Nothing does. But the fact that it was the first and was written with such depth when back then, nothing like that was really around...it was a pioneer. It's like saying, "What makes the D&D system so special in comparison to other RP game systems?" </font>[/QUOTE]Nothing in itself make D&D the best system, I don't think it is either. There are a couple of things with it I don't like.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's not a matter of whether it is the best or not, the D&D system pioneered roleplaying games. To this we must bow our heads. We do the same with LOTR's.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
It's not a matter of whether it is the best or not, the D&D system pioneered roleplaying games. To this we must bow our heads. We do the same with LOTR's.
Just because something was first doesn't give it any superiority, except in an historic way. We're not comparing every cars to the first car that was created, we're not comparing the first plane. We're not comparing to the first radio. Yes, those things were first and it's thanks to them that we got new things, but it doesn't mean they are better. The first of those things were pretty much all horribly bad, to today's stardards.

[ 09-16-2006, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Just because something was first doesn't give it any superiority, except in an historic way. We're not comparing every cars to the first car that was created, we're not comparing the first plane. We're not comparing to the first radio. Yes, those things were first and it's thanks to them that we got new things, but it doesn't mean they are better. The first of those things were pretty much all horribly bad, to today's stardards. </font>[/QUOTE]You asked what was so special. This is what is so special. When you take way the age nothing is, like I said. It's not about first it's about paving the way and doing it well.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

It's the popularity. It has been lauded as the first, and it is the most known, and hence, the most people are aware of it and have read it, so it's easiest to compare with. And let us not forget that people are sheep. People who normally do not read fantasy and choose to read LotR will immediately agree it is a "timeless classic" because that's what they are told.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #19
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
You asked what was so special. This is what is so special. When you take way the age nothing is, like I said. It's not about first it's about paving the way and doing it well.
My actual question was
Quote:
If you remove the age factor, if you pretend all novels had ben writen and published at the exact same time, what make LOTR special, what make it "the best story ever written"? I just don't get it...
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #20
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
You asked what was so special. This is what is so special. When you take way the age nothing is, like I said. It's not about first it's about paving the way and doing it well.
My actual question was
Quote:
If you remove the age factor, if you pretend all novels had ben writen and published at the exact same time, what make LOTR special, what make it "the best story ever written"? I just don't get it...
</font>[/QUOTE]The title you wrote on this thread is "What's so special about LOTR?". And for the 3rd time I say
Quote:
When you take away the age nothing is
. Either you're not understanding or you just have your mind made up and want an argument.