Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 12:18 AM   #1
Mortal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know that many of the information here was post somewhere in this forum but I think it should be placed at one place where everyone can find some usefull info regarding the basic elements that define W&W. So here is my little wisdom:

Some things that I discovered or read about the game:

Classes
1. Once you change a character’s class you can’t go back to that class again, so choose wisely. Also you stick with the spell level you had advanced until the moment you ascended. (I realized that too late )
2. Every ability (stat) you gain during a class training remains with you till the end of the game.
3. If you have too many skills (or traits) then if you reach the end of the second column the skills outside your view cannot be trained (changed) any longer.

Guilds

1. Access to any Guild. Your characters can be a member of all the guilds early on. Simply start the quest for a new class, join the other Guild, then cancel the quest. (Never used it, the ascensions workaround worked fine for me. In the end only my Priest didn’t have access to the thieves guild )
Levels
1. If you want good Stats and have a lot of time to kill just get out of the cities run around killing monsters, return to city sell items, get out of the cities run around killing monsters, return to city sell items, get out of the cities run around killing monsters, return to city sell items… I believe you ‘ve got the point. Just DON’T kill the good NPCs! Unless you play a FPVS (Shoot, Kill, Maim, Rape, oops) with an Evil Alignment.
2. Otherwise you can explore the bugs…ops…I wanted to say the undocumented features regarding the Guilds’ Quests and the bonuses in XPs (5000 for killing the leprecahn, every time till the end of the game ). It takes some time to raise them above 5 by changing from character to character but it worths every moment. Just don’t forget to go out and enter every guild you have joined to accept new training on every level change. This works only for the characters who accepted the quest the first time.

Items

1. Use your Ankhs wisely, they are the only mean (except from the Train [ability] bug [feature, feature feature..ok my mistake] where you can continue training over 18) to have some of your basic stats go over the max value (18).
2. The Amulets of silence, healing, and holding can be used to improve the strength of a Warlock, (at least for me they did, I ended up with a Gnome Warlock with a strength of 24 and ten more useless amulets. After 24 the invocations reported failure to improve the value).
3. You can use the Assassin’s Dagger to create more assassins if you pass it to another character during the ascension conversation with Bratsol (Pawn Shop – Ishad N’ha). I didn’t try it but many said that it works. Try it if you like. (Tempus at IronWorks W&W Forum “The pass the dagger trick works. Give the dagger to your assassin to be and enter the pawn shop. The shopkeeper will ask you if you want to be an assassin. During the pause in the dialogue where you answer yes or no, open the character's inventory and pass the dagger to someone else. This is what I did and I have 2 assassin's and still have the dagger.”). Though I haven’t tried it.
4. One more thing that comes to my mind is the All Saint’s Ring which I found the second time I went to the crypt of F’Lokis’Ra, I found it in the secret room above the mummy’s tomb under the table. Hard to spot I may say.

Traits/Skills

1. Merchant: I found very usefull the ability of my basic rogue to have the merchant trait. You buy something cheaper, and then you can sell it for a better price. (Willow arrow +1 [Quantity 10] bought for 385 sold at 1780 )
2. Articacts: Another usefull skill that with a descent level (07 to12) you can ID most of the objects in the game and then sell them without having to pay for an ID.
3. Forge: If you want to spend less money and time on repairing your equipment then train at least one character to a good level on this one. I found 7 to be a good one. (Blessed or Enchanted items require a better level)

Keys

1. You do not need the second Crystal Key from the F’Lokis’Ra Crypt. When you have selected a path (Wizzard Or Warrior) the other locks. (At least in my case did so)
2. For all the other keys I can’t say a thing. As I travelled around a lot in Gael Seran the keys were really handy (at least the DragonSpire Bridge Key). If you plan to check the place after the end, for secrets and hidden chests you missed, just load them on a character you can use a mule in any of the Inns.

Mortal (Aris)

[This message has been edited by Mortal (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mortal (edited 04-02-2001).]
Mortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 12:32 AM   #2
slug
Manshoon

oh, the paperwork! i could bleed to death.

no but really. if your going to run around a lot early just for the exp and the stuff. then you might as well reset the adventures and kill the higher exp stuff and all those floor popping skeletons. on hard/often i might add.

also using a mule is kinda unsafe cus i heard stuff goes missing.

but you have a good idea or 80, play again and tell us more.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 04:12 AM   #3
carg
The Magister

Some remarks and additions to Mortal's nice list:
Classes 3: skills that scrolled out of view can still be trained at the guilds.
Guilds 1: to start a quest for a new class, you do need the minimum attributes for that class. Something to keep in mind when creating the characters.
Guilds 2: getting extra promotions by switching between characters while the reward is being given, works only without the patch.
Items 1: at the guilds you can train attributes up to 20. I consider the text saying you can't increase it a bug, not the feature.
Items 3: works only without the patch.
Items 4: extra tip about the Ring of Saints: returning it to the priest guild only gives 500 Xp, no guild level. You might consider keeping the ring. (The same holds for Algamesh' amulet, which is more useful than Kerielle's potion.)
Keys 2: If you use a mule at the Inn, just make sure he/she leaves the Inn at least at the end of every playing session: their inventories won't be updated consequently if they stay at the Inn.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 09:27 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Some very excellent tips and advice!!!

Thanks! Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 09:35 AM   #5
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree with Mortal's Class lists but here's a tip:

When my Priest's class was in 9th level, I stupidly switched the class over to a monk. I couldn't fill up the Vine level spell list
So I waited until my character's monk class is up to 17th level then switched over to Warlock class and finished the Vine list (yes it's a bad pun).

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 05:05 PM   #6
Mortal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your feedback. You have all made far more better comments and supported more people with your quick answers than my small list will ever do. Let's just say that sometimes I feel the need for a more complete list of hints to help me move through a game just to watch the story unfold, than to try building up Stats. So I am always in search for lists (far more organized than mine) to help me avoid bugs, find small twists of the games' story that I would had never given them a second thought while playing and so on.

Slug: There are people out there who provided so much information that helped me finish a game having far more fun than I would had if I had played the game completely by myself. (Let us just say that my imagination is not working at its best )
As for the mule thing I used it just for testing purposes, without special items and somehow it worked (patched).

Carg: Thanks for your remarks and additions. BTW Do you mean that you don't save the game outside a city everytime you leave from a game session? I am not sure but the Leprecahn quest worked for me (patched) and my 4 members of the thieves guild were receiving 5000 of XPs everytime they entered the guild BTW, I killed the short guy.

Wyv: Thanks.

Adam: I stupidly changed classes one too many times(had no vine spells over the 3rd level ), but at least I managed to end up having sun/spirit/moon/fiend/stone spells completed in different members of the team so I had only the cure poison spell limitation. You could always find me in the city after visiting the Serpent temple for a while . (Ended with thit team configuration : Ninja (Sun/Moon) , Valkyrie(Sun/Moon/Fiend), Assassin (Moon/Fiend), Monk (Spirit/Stone), Warlock(Sun/Fiend/Moon/_Vine), Samurai(Sun).

Mortal (Aris)

PS: As always the use of English problem!
Old 04-03-2001, 04:08 AM   #7
carg
The Magister

Mortal, saving the game doesn't save the characters at the inn; only entering and leaving the inn saves the characters that entered/left.
Even with the patch there are a number of quests that will keep giving Xp every time you enter the guild. What I meant is that when you recieve the reward for a quest, and quickly toggle between the different members of your party that are members of that guild, they will recieve the Xp and guild promotion every time they are selected. But that doesn't work with the patch.

By the way, I think it's a very good idea to order a number of the tips for starters; I just wanted to add a bit to it.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 08:20 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

One more detail about the All Saint's Ring. It is not considered a "quest item", i.e., it is NOT removed from your inventory when you reset adventures (yes, it is a quest item but it is less "quest" than a Bauble Stick or the Algamesh' Amulet, for example). This allow you to get the ring for all your party members: send one for the quest. Get the ring. Reset adventures. The ring is yours. Do it during creating each member of your party. Reset adventures. Let's go.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 08:19 PM   #9
Mortal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Carg & Radek for correcting my mistakes. I seem to find endless new options by checking through the forum's threads and which I am trying to compile in one big file. Story (taken from Activision's page), Hints (some personall, most of them from many discussions and pages) Walkthrough (voldering.com) Bugs (Wizardry page), Characters (NPCs, Monsters, Bosses), Guilds & Classes, Quests, Magic System Spells, afflictions, and so on. If I manage to complete it at a certain level & time, and the people responsible for most of the information allow me to use it in a file posted on the WWW, I will send it to the Ironworks page. (Ms-Word Format 100+ Pages, 3.7MB with the images)

BTW welcome to the Forum Radek

Mortal (Aris)
Old 04-03-2001, 09:31 PM   #10
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

A couple things I thought were big.Work the jathill scroll bug,by this i mean go up as much as you can with free experence,but fully use it.This is the perfect time to change class,stay in town pump to next level train for each level never miss the power ups from the guilds.Amulet of silence and the fat looking ring that the wizard can use think it started with an "M"give you a one time stat boost for strenght or intellect.But if you invoke them in town sell them and buy them back you can invoke again.My charters were nowere as advanced as some i have heard about in some threads,but many of my stats were maxed out at 24 by doing this.It was kinda funny because some shops would buy these for more than they sold them for so you got the bonus and made gold as well.

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 04-03-2001).]
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote