Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
Margee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been trying for over a week to extinguish the wretched ghost lights. I've tried potions and lotions and spells and +2 weapons etc and stuff from the battle squares (which was also ridiculously hard). The best I've done is get one of them to 'hurt'. I'm at the point where I will soon just put the game away because it's too hard and I can't do it. Could there be something wrong? Does anyone know of a cheat or a spoiler just to get me past this point?
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Hi, welcome to the forum. You could turn down the difficulty in the otions menu to make the fight easier and then turn it back up to the level you want.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Hi! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Well, it is possible to cheat to move to the next area. I cant get the exact area code now but can find it for you if you want.

However I strongly strongly strongly recommend not to cheat.
The best thing to do would be to give the exact composition of your party and their levels. This way we'll be able to give more advice on what to do.

Meanwhile I can suggest the two spells that give electricity resistance. Protection from electricity and protection from lightning. I know it might seem obvious, but for me many times I use all the offensive spells and forget about the defensive ones.

EDIT:
I also heard that "invisibility purge" might help if you have it though I havent tried it myself.
If you have a high enough druid try summoning elementals (along with protection from evil).

[ 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

IIRC, magic missile works fine on these guys. I think that you need magic weapons to hit them.

They're not *that* tough to beat.

I suggest focusing all of your attacks on a single wisp at any one time. Sure, they'll disappear from time to time. However, when one disappears, have your party switch to all attacking a different wisp. And just keep on doing this. Also, I suggest attacking the ones that are closest to you, rather than wasting time running over to a different one. Running wastes time and lets'em get in a hit or two on you. OTOH, attacking the closest one will get it to disappear or eventually you'll kill it.

IIRC, the wisps' attacks are melee. So attacking a wisp halfway across the map while you already have a wisp in melee range is a waste. Oh, maybe if the wips across the map is badly injured, you might consider having your mage fire off some magic missiles, but keep your melee tanks swinging their swords and axes at the closest threats.

ZFR is correct about using protection from electricity/lightning spells. There are also some potions that confer some electrical protection as well.

Hang in there. The wisps aren't nearly as tough as they seem. You just need to use good tactics.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Also, IIRC they must be attacked with bludgeoning weapons. You should have quite a supply of enchanted maces at this point. Also, since it deals bludgeoning damage, lance of disruption is effective.

When one of the wasps is damaged, it quickly disappears and reappears somewhere else. Use this as a short window to rebuff or use the Heal spell.

This is a VERY tough fight. Good luck!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

One of the ones that is oddly easy in HOF, one wail of the banshee killed them all. Much better than chasing the little gits around.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
Margee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I had actually already turned down difficulty, focussed only on one wisp at a time & tried umpteen combinations of weapons & spells. Sorry, I cheated!!! I've moved on and am enjoying the rest of the game.
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote