Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-24-2001, 04:50 AM   #1
Shagrat The Half Orc

Why is magic so complicated in this game???
OK there's magic resistance and magic damage resistance, what is the difference!?!?
Is there fire resistance and fire damage resistance also??Cold?? Acid??? GRRR!!!
Can someone give me an overview of all the resistances and what they determine, I would be really appreciative.

Than u have to deal with save vs. and protection spells. Can anyone honestly say they understand the mechanics of this game entirely!!

I have question, the spell "Spell Trap" sucks up spells and adds to your ability. Very often boss monsters who use magic use this spell, u can tell cause its the white wavy orb-like spell. If i cast breach on a high lvl monster, does spell trap actually suck up breach and all protection removal spells that dont include "Spell Trap" in list of spell protections they remove?

Old 10-24-2001, 05:05 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shagrat The Half Orc:
Why is magic so complicated in this game???
OK there's magic resistance and magic damage resistance, what is the difference!?!?
Is there fire resistance and fire damage resistance also??Cold?? Acid??? GRRR!!!
Can someone give me an overview of all the resistances and what they determine, I would be really appreciative.
Than u have to deal with save vs. and protection spells. Can anyone honestly say they understand the mechanics of this game entirely!!
I have question, the spell "Spell Trap" sucks up spells and adds to your ability. Very often boss monsters who use magic use this spell, u can tell cause its the white wavy orb-like spell. If i cast breach on a high lvl monster, does spell trap actually suck up breach and all protection removal spells that dont include "Spell Trap" in list of spell protections they remove?
Magic Resistance is the percentage chance that the spell casted on you is nullified. This is why Skeleton Warriors rule against Mages and Lichs because they have 95% Magic Resistance( their only weakness is Death Spell and Imprisonment, both which ignores Magic Resistance).

Magic Damage Resistance( MDR) is the percentage reduction in damage dealt to you by Magic Damage based spells such as Magic Missile or Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. If you have 50% MDR, you reduce damage by 50%.

eg. Magic Missile deals 4 damage to you, 50% MDR means you only receive 2 damage.

Elemental Resistances works the same way as MDR.

Certain spells and attacks have modifiers if you save versus them, simply put, you could nullify an effect or reduce damage if you pass your saving throws.

Spell Traps only absorb offensive spells, your Breaches and such will bypass Spell Traps.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-24-2001, 09:43 AM   #3
tehmpus
The Magister

Why does a magic system have to be easy?

I find that a game is uninteresting unless there are many different ways to go and get things accomplished.

Here's some answers for ya.

1) Magic Resistance is sort of like a complete negation of a spell. Example... someone casts a Magic Missle at you. If your Magic Resistance % is rolled... it doesn't affect you period. It's like it didn't even happen. This works on all spells (except specific spells like lower resistance). Second example: If your magic resistance is rolled versus a charm spell... the charm doesn't affect you.

2) Magic Damage Resistance only affects spells that actually damage you. So, a Charm spell would get through that without any problem. In fact all spells actually DO affect you. It's just a matter of how much. The magic arrow WILL hit you for a certain amount of damage, but it would be halved if for example you had 50% magic damage resistance.

3) Yes, Spell Trap will absorb Breach or any other spell that doesn't specifically get rid of Spell Trap in its description.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-24-2001, 09:56 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Breach gets absorbed? I do not think so, even with Spell Trap on, I have successfully Breached enemy Mages before. And yes, I am sure it is Spell Trap, because I read the battletext.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:04 AM   #5
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Dundee, is correct, breach will work against spelltrap, the problem is that alot of ppl forget about the 'spell sheild' that will nullify a breach spell so usually you have to cast a few breaches.

I agree also with, tehmpus, that a spell system is more enjoyable with the inherent complication of figuring stuff out.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 10-24-2001, 04:37 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

the white wavy orb effect? not a very exact description, and besides that effect is used for many defence speels - mantle etc.

the save vs are used to provide a form of resistance against centrain effects and work as follows -

roll a d20 (20 sided die for those that have no brain)
subtract your penalty.

if you roll greater than the appropriate save value then youve saved and the spell gets nullified, else its not. of course some spells only save for half, but thats the general gist.

oh, and yes, as a DM in several different game systems and as a decent wargamer, i can say that not only do i understand this game mechanics entirely, it is actually a surprisingly simple system comapred to some. well, maybe not entirely, i havent PnPed this for some time and my rule book is MIA, but mostly.