Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2001, 09:52 PM   #81
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
yeah, I see what you are saying fljotsdale, he could have been roleplaying, but even then, still, he crossed the boundaries you know? And even though no Mods came in to warn him? Many of us members told him to stop, and he didn't. So I doubt he would have stopped if a Mod said something. And heck, even if he did stop if a Mod said something, what does that say? To me it says he got his kicks as long as he was allowed, as he felt us members scolding him had no power. Power is the only thing he will acknowledge. Again, says volumes of what type of person he is, if that were the case. Dunno, sigh!

Again, I see what you are saying, but I just personally think that Jake didn't fit into that category. And don't think I don't feel bad about it, cause I saw that he had over 100 previous posts, so he must have been asking or answering questions on one of the game forums, and now he can no longer do that. But again, there are just some things that you just cannot do. And again as well, several of us posted to him to shut up and stop, and he deliberately did not.

Maybe I should quit trying so hard to look on both sides of the page, lol!
I think we are pretty well in agreement, when we get right down to it!

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 10:07 PM   #82
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Guys and gals, perhaps it would have been better if I had never made an issue out of Jake's banning.

I will drop it, with one last parting comment :

I think you guys are overreacting to what he said and reading WAY too much into it. That is perfectly understandable, considering the emotions involved and his poor sense of timing.

However, to describe him as being Hitler's best friend and basically a psychopath on the basis of a few sentences is stretching, to say the least. Someone who had not read what he actually said, and just hearing your comments, would think he had posted a detailed description as to why mass murder is his favorite pastime.

What he actually said was considerably less, and you guys are putting the absolute worst possible spin on his words and reading a lot into them, which perhaps he didn't mean. He actually didn't say much, and this was the worst of it: "Wasn't much of a suprise to me, not to many countrys like America. Besides, I think Americans are arigant bastards (no offence ), looking at the t.v., the goverment of America tryed to give us the impression that they can take on the world. This is exiting news."

Okay, first of all, it is simply a fact that America is disliked by a lot of people in the world. Secondly, on the international stage, America DOES often act arrogantly. Thirdly, the government of America, and many Americans, do in fact like to act as if they can take on the rest of the world.

NONE of the above is reason to get much upset at all. The entire problem here boils down to the final sentence: four short words, which may or may not have meant the monstrous things you guys are assuming. Why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt at least this once to see if he really is an evil monster, rather than drawing sweeping conclusions about his entire life from this one short sentence. Certainly we all have been guilty of ill chosen words before, which might have been misconstrued to make us look equally bad.

All the rest of his comments were personal flames, which he started doing in response to people flaming him, further statements about the arrogance of America (which might very well be true), and the comment about the kamikazes -- which of course was something that happened over 50 years ago, not yesterday.

Okay, I have said my piece on this subject, and will say no more. I am not trying to make a big deal out of this or accuse Ziroc or the Mods or Ironworks of being evil or anything like that. I just think maybe we shouldn't be so hasty in condemning the poor slob over a few words. Of course, maybe he really is the evil monster you assume -- my point is simply that perhaps we should not be so hasty in jumping to that conclusion, on such slim evidence.

Peace to all. And I promise, no matter what anybody else says on this thread that is the last from me, no matter how much I may want to respond
Old 09-12-2001, 10:21 PM   #83
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dio, thank you for saying that. I do understand your point, although I do not fully agree with it...but I respect your opinion.

Just to clarify some things: Jake was warned by several that he was in danger of being banned. I warned him via e-mail, Memnoch warned him, and this afternoon, Ziroc enacted the ban against him. I don't know about Memnoch, but I do not have the power to ban anyone here. I can make a recommendation to Ziroc, but that's about as far as I can go. Jake had about 20 hours in between to try to make amends. He didn't. Even a simple apology and a backing-off would have been all that was needed.

With that, I am closing this thread, at the request of several people who have e-mailed me. It has overlasted its usefulness far more than it should have.

------------------